No Scene Manager projects

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
tgraupmann
Gnoll

No Scene Manager projects

Post by tgraupmann »

It looks like the scene manager projects were left out because the code base is subject to change.

Isn't this the case with all projects? ;p

Why couldn't the scene managers be added to the Daigon code base instead?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

I think you mean Eihort.

The point of SoC is to tackle projects that are practical and contribute to the forward direction of OGRE. The SceneManager structure is going to significantly change post-Eihort and thus it would be completely unfair to ask someone to write a SceneManager that would be aiming at a moving target.

Yes, one could be written against Eihort but that's not the point. The point is that SoC projects are supposed to be a part of taking the mentoring project forward, not to be abandoned on a previous version. In addition, besides the portal scene manager that Chaster is working on, I can't think of any further scene managers that wouldn't be so specific as to need significant restructuring after Eihort, possibly becoming useless. That wouldn't make a very good SoC project.

Yes, all things change, but this is a specific, major structural change that we already know a fair amount about. When something is going to change a lot, you don't ask a new student to learn it and have to deliver a useful project on it in a short period of time, it just makes it much harder for them and maybe even totally impractical. Summer of code is really quite short, so what's done in that time needs to be well defined and the student needs to hit the ground running, and know that at the end of it, they've contributed towards the future of the project.
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

sinbad wrote:In addition, besides the portal scene manager that Chaster is working on, I can't think of any further scene managers that wouldn't be so specific as to need significant restructuring after Eihort, possibly becoming useless.
Ouch!

:lol: