cytiex >> part2 [ VIDEO added]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Paulov
Greenskin

cytiex >> part2 [ VIDEO added]

Post by Paulov » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Hullo people

new
video links for download

hi res
www.ikernor.com/proyectos/cytiex/videos/cytiex-hi.avi

lo res
www.ikernor.com/proyectos/cytiex/videos/cytiex-lo.avi

Youtube
part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVHhVKpM23Y

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-OLjbdtxPw

new end

Well today I´ve shown my final degree project at the university.

Here some pics. Enjoy.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImage Image

Whant to thank to Hansel for his help in this project.

And to Lioric for the fantastic tool oFusion.
(I´ll post later about the problems I´ve found with the soft and points for improvement.)

related previous posts:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26600

bye bye.
Last edited by Paulov on Thu May 24, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:25 pm

Wenoo!! Impresionante!!

Very gooood job! Congrats :D
0 x

Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:26 pm

Yeah, that's amazing! 18 and 19 in particular... Wow.
0 x

Virion
Halfling

Post by Virion » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:32 pm

nice. keep it up. :D
0 x

pekar
Halfling

Post by pekar » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:44 pm

Incredible! Somebody should forward this to Will Wright...

Excellent job
0 x

Game_Ender
Ogre Magi

Post by Game_Ender » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:22 am

Do you have any videos?
0 x

celic
Gnome

Post by celic » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:01 am

It looks fantastic!!!
Keep on going! :shock:
0 x

SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:24 am

Wow, any chance to marry this project with Rigs of Rods...? ;)
0 x

Tubez
Gremlin

Post by Tubez » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:14 am

Did you have to do anythign special with regards to paging geometry in or out?

QuantumG mentioned that he managed to fit a large part of GTA3 in a single scene without paging, i was wondering if you shared his experiences.
0 x
Pathman, Free (as in GPL) 3D Pac Man.

PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:10 pm

Wow, can you tell us more about what your doing? Is it a game, simulation, etc?

And did you generate the scene manaully or you've developed some algorithm for generating cities? Like http://www.urbanmodellinggroup.co.uk/

Looks great at any rate :D
0 x

Paulov
Greenskin

Post by Paulov » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:05 pm

Hey

Thanks for your coments_

answers:
>>Do you have any videos?
nop. How can I capture a video without compromising the 3D performance? the times I´ve tried to do this with other works, I noticed that the framerate droped a lot.
I would be pleased if someone could tell me what soft to use and wich config works fine.

>>Wow, any chance to marry this project with Rigs of Rods...?
Thanks a lot for thaht proposal, but now I would preffer to burn the tires of the Toyota. :)
I´ve to speak with the programmer that has helped me on this project to see what can we do first.
Thanks again for your proposal and feel free to PM me for anything related to this.

>>a)Did you have to do anything special with regards to paging geometry in or out?
b)QuantumG mentioned that he managed to fit a large part of GTA3 in a single scene without paging, i was wondering if you shared his experiences.
--> a) well dont know very well what you mean since I´m an artist and dont know much about programming_ _ but I understand that you ask me if I have had the need to load different parts of the area in a similar way of a LOD. The answer is no.
There is no LOD or paging in this visualization.
Its not because I dont like LODs, its more becuase I cant make the with oFusion (wich is one of my "complains" proposals I´ve to make related to oFusion.)
Not having LODs has keep me out from placing things like the streetlamps ,traffic lamps...

b) I readed something about in the forum time ago, but .... well, no pagin no sharing.

The scene has 200.000 polys. And runs smooth in my 7600GT.

>>Wow, can you tell us more about what your doing? Is it a game, simulation, etc?
-->This work has been the final project in my university where I´ve studied construction engineering // Arquitectura técnica pa los que hablen mi idioma //.
The aims of the project where from one side to show how realistic an urban area can be build, and to show the aplications of this kind of technologies in the construction/engineering area.
In the project presentation, I showed how the status of the river would be if a modern bridge was settled in there.

Its a recreation of an area in the city of San Sebastian located in the north of Spain.

0 x

Paulov
Greenskin

Post by Paulov » Fri May 25, 2007 9:38 am

HI

I´ve bugfixed the model and added a couple of videos.

Enjoy.
0 x

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho » Fri May 25, 2007 1:13 pm

w-o-w!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x

Hansel
Gremlin

Post by Hansel » Fri May 25, 2007 11:09 pm

Impressive :D
0 x

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe » Fri May 25, 2007 11:20 pm

Looks like I missed a great project! Nice! :D
0 x
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho » Sat May 26, 2007 1:43 am

By the way Paulov, what tool/workflow have you used to model the city? I've just seen the videos and looks incredibleble!!
0 x

Evak
Orc Shaman

Post by Evak » Sat May 26, 2007 1:51 am

Hey, glad to see you got past your weird texture problems in ofusion :). BTW Ofusion does do LOD, but its only automated %, you can't have manual LOD meshes. (Something I requested not so long ago).

Your city scene looks very nice indeed. BTW, I got your PM this morning, will send you a scene with the shader working sometime this weekend :)
0 x

Paulov
Greenskin

Post by Paulov » Sat May 26, 2007 12:29 pm

Hey, glad to see you got past your weird texture problems in ofusion
Not at all, look, I posted that those problems where showing in max viewport, then in the compiled scene works fine. I posted the log too.
I think it is a mipmap problem since I can see the "lines" that create mipmaps with different texture "resolutions" and the first one shows ok and the second (and following) show super weird.
Other directly show strange.
BTW Ofusion does do LOD, but its only automated %, you can't have manual LOD meshes. (Something I requested not so long ago).
--> Yes, but Automatic lod from my pointo of view is not the way to go, I want to say what is seen at what distance. Whe should discuss in the forum or via PM what features & what things should the developer keep in mind. (i made a post long time ago in OF)

Code: Select all

Your city scene looks very nice indeed.
Thanks , ( and thanks for all others that posted in this way !!! thanks!!!)
BTW, I got your PM this morning, will send you a scene with the shader working sometime this weekend
---> This would be great!!!
----------------------------------------------
what tool/workflow have you used to model the city?
I´m "arquitecto técnico" & plan drawer (delineante) o as you might imagine I master CAD software, with is very hadfull for this kind of works.
I prepare most of the data in AUTOCAD and then modelled it in MAX.

Modelling this part of the city has required a considerable ammount of "in site" data adquisition, that sometimes could have been automated but not in others.
I´ve used a laser telemeter to measure unreachable distances-points and to measure urban elements.

I´ve tryed to make the modelling part as simple as possible and the main modifiers have been "extrude" and "face extrude".

I´ve spend a considerable ammount of time preparing the data in Autocad. And even more developing the technics of preparing this data.

Feel free to PM me asking whatever (en español calro) and I can give you more detail, but not all eh, I´ve spend much time developing the workflow.. 8)

Even the data preparation is hard, if you wat a big, city, You´ll have to be serious in storing everything very indexed, and create a "metodology" (no se si existe esa palabra) so that you can reach your models easyly and you store them sistematically.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Developing "plain" areas is easy, but drawing the highway in the part that it "rises in altitude" has been painfull. Also I see difficult that I could model easily areas that are not horizontal or have variations. Because of that I´ve started to learnd Civil 3D software so that I cand draw Highwais , roads etc without melting my brain i those processes.

I whant to know how to draw roads like these:
http://www.3dnworld.com/users/69/images ... ection.jpg

http://www.aeccafe.com/magazine/images/ ... zation.jpg

http://www.simdg.com/index.html
goto--> animación 3D---> autopista aeropuerto
Amazing Highway 3D model.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
When I started the project I wanted to models scenes like that
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1248/1126769319.jpg
Now I´m near.

I wanted to model an area as big as this, or at least know how
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/ ... -Racing-3/
Now I know how to do it.

effects:
I love HDR, thanks to HANSEL, it looks I´m near to seeing it ont he city.

I love the mirroring effect of the windows.
After the last demo-scene lioric posted on the wed I got it, I´m finishing the testings. The effect si fantastic.

I wish I could do normal mapped textures like asplhalt, or the collums in the back:
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1248/1145471312.jpg
now, thanks to EVAK it looks near.

Lods
Well, when modelling a city, "custom" LODs are a must, for street lamps, traffic posts, etc, that otherwise cant be placed. I think that is is one of the major lacks of OF from my artist point of view.

crowds
I saw that in google of summer, it was a project named "instancing of crows, or similar, dont know if it is already aplicable, but would be great to do pedestrians without much "power" consumption.
--------------

One of the important part to get this project finished whas the programmer:: : because otherwise I see difficult that I could have shown the ressult.

Hansel, (ogre Forum member) whose name is J*** M*** A**** has helped me on this project.

Graciassss>>>>

Thanks all for your interest & comments !!
0 x

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho » Sat May 26, 2007 12:46 pm

Ah! CAD software as a foundation for the next modeling steps :) That's sweet; I think I'm so used to hard-modeling in Blender that I've lost the most basic solutions... Will have to investigate if there's some free CAD software for Linux :P (By the way, the word is "Methodology", and it exists indeed ;))

Those roads are probably done through some kind of CAD/MAX plugin, usually by projecting a spline on the terrain and supplying a profile shape.

Regarding crowds, hardware instancing and procedurally spreading them across the streets would be really nice. Indeed, an advantage of doing this way is that you can place them only where the camera is looking in real time, having very crowded streets with a constant relatively low performance hit.
0 x

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe » Sat May 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Blender *can* be used for architectural modeling (CAD) - I saw a couple of entries on BlenderNation about that. :)
InkScape is a great CAD tool which works in Linux too - and you can import InkScape files into Blender..
0 x
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho » Sat May 26, 2007 1:42 pm

jacmoe wrote:Blender *can* be used for architectural modeling (CAD) - I saw a couple of entries on BlenderNation about that. :)
InkScape is a great CAD tool which works in Linux too - and you can import InkScape files into Blender..
Yeah, I read those entries as well, though I would rather say that Blender "can" be used for architectural modeling. Indeed, the InkScape+Blender formula gave me a lot of headaches :(
0 x

Paulov
Greenskin

Post by Paulov » Sat May 26, 2007 1:59 pm

hey>>

well, I dont know about those softs.

But I screwed my mind on finding the perfect CAD to RT workflow and want to say ( ejem looks like propaganda) that The comunication betwen ACAD adn MAX is simply perfect. (probably being both from Autodesk, helps)

You dont need to have Autocad, but yes a CAD soft that supports DWG or DXF , (most do).

The "Magic" of MAX is that shows the lines as if you where in Autocad, same color, respects the layers, ( you can still manage elements by layers as if you where in Autocad),, etc etc.. >> It also respects the original coordinates and balblabla...

I find that moving data from autocad to max is extremely easy (once the import settings are set up).

Also MAX supports X-ref that means that you can call a scene and load in the one you are viewing, but you cant modify this scene, only see, it. And then when ou modigy, you´ll see the changes in the one you inserted it. This is a must for large scenes. It is very used in CAD projects.
Ofusion is supossed to export X-ref, but in my CE version it does not work.

MAX is for me the soft for developing a huge, (in extension and detail) enviroment.

Having your data in MAX means you have it in almost all RT engines as is like the "standartd " platform fro 3D modelling in terms of gamin. (someone will want to kill me for this. jeje, but it is may point of view.)

-------------------
Ah, oke, interesting what you said about instancing, so its like in GTA, that you saw an interesting car, and if you lose it from your sight of view you "lost" it.
May be instancing would be also interesting for Those street lamps etc that are always in the same position. Would be something similar to the X-ref I mentioned before.
In Autocad there is an "objet type" called block, if you make a block of an street lamp, and you place it all over a drawing, if you open the block and edit any element inside of it, when exiting and saving changes all of them change. Its something like a cloned group, its super handfull. Even if they ar clones, they have some "particular-independent" values, like rotation, position...
-----------------------------
0 x

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho » Sat May 26, 2007 2:16 pm

The idea would be similar to GTA, yes, but not only depending on the distance, but the whole field of view. Imagine you put pedestrians in a grid distribution across the scene. If you're looking north, you won't need to even instance those behind you! :)
Of course you can do the same with street lights, trees... Only thing you would need is to specify their distribution rules (no trees in the middle of a road and such ;))
0 x