GraLL - WIP Topic (Game Released. Check Other Topic)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

icesyncer wrote:To be honest, it looks easy, can be mastered in atleast 6 tries.
Actually, no. It isn't that easy. :)
icesyncer
Kobold

Post by icesyncer »

no really. :x
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Level 27 is half done, but I have started working on the sound effects. I know that most of you haven't played the game, but maybe you could suggest some sound effects. While suggesting a sound effect, please suggest when it must be played, and how it must sound. For example:-

"Sound effect played during explosion, sounds like an explosion (boom)"

Thanks!
:)
M2H
Gnoblar

Post by M2H »

Nice work nikki :)
Good dedication.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

M2H wrote:Nice work nikki :)
Good dedication.
Thanks! :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

I think I have added enough sound effects, but I may add more if I get some ideas. I am currently working on improving the graphics, and adding some features for the convenience of the user. I have added particle effects when the keys are collected. I will continue work on the levels next week.

ps. I added a cheat code. Won't tell it to you though. :)
Fred
Halfling

Post by Fred »

Really nice.
But the Camera-Moving is cruelly :)
But I'm sure you will change this
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Fred wrote:Really nice.
But the Camera-Moving is cruelly :)
But I'm sure you will change this
Thanks! Yes, the camera is not that smooth. I have tried out some things to make it smooth.

By the way, you're playing the demo right? That demo is really old. There are lots of things added since then. I can't release a new demo, because the levels will be given away. :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Ok, the story cutscene has been finished! I can't show it to you guys (suspense). :)

I will continue working on the levels tomorrow. Next is the 27th one. Its been a long time since I finished the previous level (26th level), on guess what, 26th April. :) I'll draw a few sketches in the school bus, and come home and work on it. :)
free_FROZ
Halfling

Post by free_FROZ »

When is this game going to be finished, Nick?
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

free_FROZ wrote:When is this game going to be finished, Nick?
I don't know, but I'm sure I'll try to release it somewhere in the middle of June.

27th level completed! Its a really fun and puzzling level, which uses many of the objects combined to make a really cool puzzle. I still have to test it, though.

And I must say, thanks for the feedback guys! You've helped a lot! I feel really happy when I see a reply to this topic. Thanks! :D
free_FROZ
Halfling

Post by free_FROZ »

I can't wait to settle down one warm summer day and just really get my ass kicked by GraLL. Everytime I saw you posted, I was just thinking, maybe he released it...better go check.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

free_FROZ wrote:I can't wait to settle down one warm summer day and just really get my ass kicked by GraLL. Everytime I saw you posted, I was just thinking, maybe he released it...better go check.
Wow. That is by far the highest amount of motivation I've ever received about GraLL from another person. Thanks for taking such an interest in the game. It really helps. And GraLL can't wait too. He is banging the walls of the cage. Once the door is opened... :twisted:

I have finished testing Level 27. Now on to Level 28. Woah... I'm so near to releasing my game! :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

I am working on the 28th level. The 28th level will have different heights (ramps, fly-overs, tunnels under other floors etc.). This allows for some really ming-boggling puzzles and tough moves.

My school closes for summer vacations on June 30th, so I can devote my time to GraLL almost completely. :) I think the levels will be complete by then. Maybe a bit of testing will be left.

When do you guys think I should release the game?
free_FROZ
Halfling

Post by free_FROZ »

Release the game as soon as it's done. If you need some help testing it before that time, I'm your man.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

free_FROZ wrote:Release the game as soon as it's done. If you need some help testing it before that time, I'm your man.
Thanks. I already have a few testers. I could make you one. E-mail me (s.nikhilesh (at) gmail (dot) com) about it.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

One of my friends pointed out that when GraLL rolled over the EndPad, it was all over too suddenly. He told me that a short camera sequence involving the camera moving upward would be nice. I extended his idea to include the rotation of the camera as well as a fade of the screen to black before passing on to the next level. Here's a video:-
GraLL - New EndPad Camera Sequence
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

The 28th level has been completed at last. It took so long because I was preoccupied with school, and also because the 28th level is a tough and long one. The 29th level will be a more action-packed, run-fast kind of level, and the 30th... well don't ask. :)

I think I will need to rearrange the levels, because some levels are tougher than levels that are after them. So the level numbers you see here (and in previous posts) might change.

Here's a screenshot from level 27:-

And here are two from level 28 (notice the variation in height):-
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Well, this is not really related to GraLL, but, I have an IT Quiz at school tomorrow, and I got selected, so wish me the best of luck! :)

ps. Did you guys see the screenshots above?
rUmbl3
Halfling

Post by rUmbl3 »

Good luck :)
and the screenshots are awesome (as always).

Do you plan to release a linux version of GraLL?
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Wow, it looks like some of the later levels are a lot less flat than some of the earlier ones! Are there levels-above-levels or does that become too much?

Also, I'm suddenly confused - I just noticed the title says 'beta demo released' and can't remember if it always said that! Did you release a new demo? If so you should put 'Updated DATE' or something in the title...
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

esuvs wrote:Also, I'm suddenly confused - I just noticed the title says 'beta demo released' and can't remember if it always said that! Did you release a new demo? If so you should put 'Updated DATE' or something in the title...
No. I never added a new demo. And I don't want to either, because I don't want anyone (except the testers) to try the levels before the actual release of the game. Sorry. :)

And I'll fix the title.
Do you plan to release a linux version of GraLL?
Linux? Well, I have a copy of SuSE. I installed it long back, but it got uninstalled when I reformatted the entire system. I never reinstalled it since then. I'll concentrate on Linux support after the game is released, if possible.
Are there levels-above-levels or does that become too much?
Level-above-level is supported, if you look closely, you can see a few bridges and flyovers in level 28. But, complete level-above-level (like floors of a building) isn't made use of yet, since the camera would be blocked from looking at the lower floors, due to which I would have to increase the gap between two levels. You can expect to see level-above-level in GraLL 2. I can't put everything in GraLL 1, can I? Then I'll have nothing left for GraLL 2. :)

BTW, GraLL 2's story is already fixed. Now don't bombard me with questions about it. :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

I have decided to add a scoring system to increase replayability (people like to play the game again and again). This scoring system is based on individual level scores, and the player can improve the individual scores to improve the total score. There are two systems I have devised, I need you guys to suggest me which one to use:-

1. Each level has a time limit suiting the level. There is a timer at the bottom left corner, which keeps ticking down. When the level is completed, the time left is saved (for every level) if it is more than the previously saved value. So, the Player can come back and improve his time. If he runs out of time, he doesn't fail the test, but his score for that level will be zero. While displaying the total score, all the individual level scores are added, and the total number of fails (the total number of times he died) is subtracted. The aim is to get as high a score as possible. It's kind of like the Chip's Challenge method. :)

2. The second option is almost the opposite. For every level, the timer starts from zero and counts upward. When the level is completed, the time is saved (for every level) if it is less than the previously saved value. So, the Player can come back and improve his time. While displaying the total score, all the individual level scores are added, and the total number of fails (the total number of deaths) is added too. In this method, the aim is to get as low a score as possible.

Please tell me which method you like more. I have already finished adding the first system, but its major problem is that I have to set a good limit for each and every level, and I am a lazy guy. :) The score system will increase replay value, and people might post their scores on the internet and compare it with others.

Thanks! :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Ok, level 29 done. Its insanely tough. Its a huge maze made of invisible and normal walls, and moving bombs going through. Moving bombs can go through invisible walls, even after they appear (there are two kinds of invisible walls, one type appears when you touch them, while walls of the other type never appear). This makes it even harder. The maze is basically a large spiral of normal walls, with little holes in the walls, and invisible walls placed along the corridor so that it becomes a maze. Here's a screenshot:-

My school has closed for summer vacations. I am going on vacation on the 6th of July, and will return somewhere near 20th August. I have somehow convinced my mother to let me put all my stuff in her laptop, and take it with me during the vacation so that I can work on GraLL. But, the progress will be slow (there isn't much left anyway). Most of the time, I will keep testing and designing the 30th level.
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Wow, that does look insanely tough! Just don't let it get to the point where it is too frustrating! You should think to yourself 'how many tries should it require to complete this level?' Also make sure that each time the user tries they have a chance to get further than the previous try - if the player dies in the same spot more than 3 times they will probably give up!