Distributed OGRE

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Post Reply
pgavigan
Gnoblar
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: Carleton University, Ottawa Ontario Canada

Distributed OGRE

Post by pgavigan »

I'm working on an application that will involve lot's of networking (and involving OGRE of coarse). It would be really cool if OGRE had built in functionality for distributed application, on an array of computers over a network. I'd be curious to hear what others think about this.
Patrick
User avatar
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:31 am
Location: Rockville, MD, USA

Post by Game_Ender »

I too think it would be cool if there was a more integrated library to help me create my programs, but what core feature of graphics rendering engine requires distributed computing?

I think it would be cool if someone created a plugin that provided support for using Ogre in a Cave type environment where each screen is driven by a different computer but is managed like a single application. That just seems to specific to be put into the core though.
Last edited by Game_Ender on Fri May 01, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Burgos, Spain
x 2
Contact:

Post by Kencho »

I only see the strength in scene management, as most of the rendering power goes to the gfx card after all. I think an intermediate layer somewhere around the scene management layer would be the only benefited from that. Determine visible/invisible elements and such, in a really large environment, is the only benefit I can think of right now. Besides that, it would be application-specific and not a graphics engine issue at all.
Image
Sethos
Goblin
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
x 1

Post by Sethos »

This is an interesting idea. A distributed scenemanager, which syncronizes the scene hierarchy from several computers. If just I had a Cave at home :)
User avatar
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 2060
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:11 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
x 4
Contact:

Post by Falagard »

It would be really cool if OGRE had built in functionality for distributed application, on an array of computers over a network. I'd be curious to hear what others think about this.
That's way beyond what Ogre's focus is, which is just rendering.

Doesn't really make any sense.
pgavigan
Gnoblar
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: Carleton University, Ottawa Ontario Canada

Post by pgavigan »

This is an interesting idea. A distributed scenemanager, which syncronizes the scene hierarchy from several computers. If just I had a Cave at home

I'm building a cave... part of why I bring it up! I'm planning on passing it commands using a network, but also binding it in with larger scale simulations.
Patrick
User avatar
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:31 am
Location: Rockville, MD, USA

Post by Game_Ender »

You might consider a distributed object system like Ice. You could make Ice interface for Ogre's generic SceneManager interface (and a decent portion of Ogre in the process). Then with enough design you should be able to just propagate the calls that change scene state to the remote scene managers and keep all queries to the local one.
pgavigan
Gnoblar
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: Carleton University, Ottawa Ontario Canada

Post by pgavigan »

Another thing to consider too is the idea of distributed computing between processor cores and multiprocessors, not just between computers over a network.
Patrick
User avatar
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:31 am
Location: Rockville, MD, USA

Post by Game_Ender »

For that you should really have a look at the many threads about multithreading and Ogre. In short- There is not a lot to parallelize in Ogre and most of the area that was is already parallelized (Resource Loading).
Post Reply