allow to disable Ogre built-in resource loaders.
e.g.: --disable-mesh-import --disable-mesh-export --disable-material-import ...
By removing those built-in serializers, the resulting DLL/so size can be reduced ... though small.
and to think.. Ogre is a graphics engine... but it has file I/O...
what about [built-in] serializers as plugin?
More configure options
-
Quall
- Greenskin
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:55 pm
mm, you can always remove those and recompile if you want a smaller DLL, but you don't need to use ogre's resource managers. You can create your own.
Ogre would not be Ogre if it did not serialize and parse scripts itself. A huge portion of the engine is that it uses custom formats and custom shader scripts and access the render drivers. Without file IO or these features, you might as well call DirectX or OpenGL yourself. I know I don't want to do that. The scripting engine and loading resources is what attracted everyone I know...It is what attracted me. It is very easy to use. Besides, just because it is a gfx engine, does not mean it should not have file IO. It also has a timer and example framework, should they get rid of those as well? They are used heavily.
If you are not talking about the managers, but rather just the loading, it can already all be done manually. Read up on the manual for this.
Call ogre to parse a script manually.
http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/manual/manual_14.html
You then have to manually load other resources such as textures.
If you want to get rid of the manager all together..Well, I do not even know what to say to that.
Ogre would not be Ogre if it did not serialize and parse scripts itself. A huge portion of the engine is that it uses custom formats and custom shader scripts and access the render drivers. Without file IO or these features, you might as well call DirectX or OpenGL yourself. I know I don't want to do that. The scripting engine and loading resources is what attracted everyone I know...It is what attracted me. It is very easy to use. Besides, just because it is a gfx engine, does not mean it should not have file IO. It also has a timer and example framework, should they get rid of those as well? They are used heavily.
If you are not talking about the managers, but rather just the loading, it can already all be done manually. Read up on the manual for this.
Call ogre to parse a script manually.
http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/manual/manual_14.html
You then have to manually load other resources such as textures.
If you want to get rid of the manager all together..Well, I do not even know what to say to that.
- xavier
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 9481
- Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
- Location: Dublin, CA, US
- x 22
Re: More configure options
exavolt wrote:allow to disable Ogre built-in resource loaders.
e.g.: --disable-mesh-import --disable-mesh-export --disable-material-import ...
By removing those built-in serializers, the resulting DLL/so size can be reduced ... though small.
and to think.. Ogre is a graphics engine... but it has file I/O...
what about [built-in] serializers as plugin?
??
Are you having specific issues? Your question suggests that you are, even though it makes no real sense...
My OgreMain.dll comes in at 2438KB (2.4MB) and the .so is about the same IIRC.
-
grizzley90
- Gnome
- Posts: 318
- Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:22 pm
- Location: Montreal, Canada
You can always use UPX to make OgreMain smaller (goes from 3.87mb to 1.63mb) ... I believe its really the media that takes up all the space.
- :wumpus:
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 3067
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:53 pm
- Location: The Netherlands
- x 1
I don't really see much reason for this, obviously you are porting Ogre to a very low memory system. If so, how have you determined it's the mesh and material loaders that take a lot of memory?
Compressing DLLs is a bad idea as it means your operating system cannot mmap the pages nicely into memory, but has to decompress into RAM, so you end up with more RAM usage instead of less.
(the only thing you gain is a little disk space, but who cares, your download archive will be compressed anyway)
Compressing DLLs is a bad idea as it means your operating system cannot mmap the pages nicely into memory, but has to decompress into RAM, so you end up with more RAM usage instead of less.
(the only thing you gain is a little disk space, but who cares, your download archive will be compressed anyway)
