free 3d models for games UPDATED; 10/11/07

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
anpd
Kobold

Post by anpd »

Thanks for the contribution looks great :)
JeDi
Gnome

Post by JeDi »

They are looking great! I'm going to try them as soon as possible. They seem perfect for learning to use normal/specular/... textures, and that's just what I was planning to do the next couple of weeks.

Greetz,
JeDi
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

JeDi wrote:They are looking great! I'm going to try them as soon as possible. They seem perfect for learning to use normal/specular/... textures, and that's just what I was planning to do the next couple of weeks.

Greetz,
JeDi
ya, the new multitexture materials (normal, specular, paralax, relief blah, blah) are quite a hurdle for 3d moddeler. but really are vital in this day and age. i wish you luck getting them working in ogre in what ever project you are working on. if you get them working give me a link so i can see :)
our current pc game in development: http://archangel-studio.blogspot.com/
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

Looks great! 8)

I have exported tree001 to a mesh through blender. But, the model appears very faceted and chunky (as I would expect for a low poly model).

Does anyone know any texturing tricks to make a model appear more smooth?

I am not blaming the model, I am blaming my inability in these areas. :oops:
Prezadent
Gnoblar

Post by Prezadent »

lonewolff wrote:Looks great! 8)

I have exported tree001 to a mesh through blender. But, the model appears very faceted and chunky (as I would expect for a low poly model).

Does anyone know any texturing tricks to make a model appear more smooth?

I am not blaming the model, I am blaming my inability in these areas. :oops:
I assume you have set normals to vertex and not face. This is the main reason converted models look blocky.
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

Thanks for your reply. :)

As I only really know the absolute basics of 3d modelling, I wouldn't know if the normals are set to vertex or face. :oops:

Can you have either in Ogre? Or will they always look blocky when imported into ogre?
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

In Max you want to enable/set up smoothing groups IIRC. The exporter should take care of exporting the normals properly if smgrps are in force.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

So, this will still preseve the low poly count will it?
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

the models are all equipped with smoothing groups when expirted from max by me. i dont open the .OBJ files to check them myself. make sure when you are re-importing them into blender they are importing smoothing groups.
worst case is you may have to re-apply smoothing groups yourself within your app of choice.

the whole import/export etc of models is not ideal, i realise that, and is liable to be a bit buggy when used by people who dont have the basics of their 3d app down. i am sorry about that, and i hope you understand that i cannot export to every engines prefered format and scale, as the assets are destined for too many engines, and i dont have time to optimise for each of them.
in an ideal world, recruit a beginner max user to get your models scaled to your games grid size, and exported to your choice of format.

on the upside, i am using my time today to make trees and shrubs with foliage for games. will update with them soon i hope ;)
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

No probs, i'll look into it.

Thanks once again for sharing. :D

[Slightly off topic]

3D artists can be a funny bunch though (irishlostboy excluded). I have a close friend who has now completed uni courses in Maya and 3DSMax. Whenever I suggest to him that we get together and create a small game or something, he turns cold and you can almost hear all the papers and stuff on his desk get pushed into a box and locked away.
He is very protective of his (so called) art.
Funny thing is, he is unemployed with no job prospects in his late twenties still leeching off his mother at home, spending all of his day playing World of Warcraft. :roll:

So, in my case turning to my friends is not really an option :cry:
For me, it is a case of, if I dont do programming, graphics, sound, networking, etc. myself nothing will happen. And alas, you now all know the reasoning behind the name chose to give myself. :)

Please dont take this as a dig at all 3d artists. That is not the intention. It is just how it has panned out for me.

[/Slightly off topic]

[edit]
I have just worked out how to get the model into blender so it is still smoothed but there doesnt seem to be any options to keep the smotthing when exporting :cry:
[/edit]

[edit-edit]
All good now just had to play with some settings.
Looks awesome!
[/edit-edit]
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

lonewolff wrote: 3D artists can be a funny bunch though (irishlostboy excluded).
Oh, I think you'll find that just about anyone with amazing skill in an area is a little more than slightly odd. I think it comes from focusing so intently on something that nothing else matters like it does to other people. It might be personal appearance, or attitude, or any number of things.

I include everyone in this from artists to programmers to car mechanics. Anyone that is amazing at what they do is abnormal by definition, so it shouldn't be a big surprise that they don't act normal either.

At my job, they recognize that, and any time one of the programmers does something odd, they just shrug it off and say 'He's a programmer.' As long as we do our jobs well, there's a lot of leeway.

Artists have more of a reputation for being odd, but I think that's because their main focus is expressive, so they tend to be more expressive about it.
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Some people say that 3d modellers hold their cards close to there chest because it is hard to do (and they have every right to). But, programming in itself is an artform too (which I have a very long way to go also).

Compare the availability of 3d models and programming code.

Programmers tend to give and modellers tend to say look at my pictures but you cant touch the models/textures.

So, what irishlostboy (and not to forget, other contributing modellers) has done is awesome and I thank him greatly for what he has let us play with. 8)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

/* Discussion about the relevance of free arts split out into a new topic. */
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

i love the little off topic conversation there :)

i know what you mean about your friend who is super protective of his work. shame he is also unmotivated. there is no reason to not team up with people and get work out there. at the same time it has been proven time and again that work (artistic or otherwise) must be protected. especially if you have sunk a large part of your money and time into college to gather the skills you need to create your "art" (for the sake of undersanding, i never class 3d modelling as art. for me "art" is a mind set of expression. 3d is merely a maketable byproduct. the production of which i would call "craft".) as re; giving stuff away, my 3d models are the same as giving your friends gifts, and sharing. very different from handing your valubles away so someone else can make money off them and leave you high and dry. i dunno any of your backrounds, but i come from a very lower class backround, raised by my dissabled mother. college is out of my own pocket. i have to be careful how i source my money, as if i earn anything like a real wage, my grants go bye bye (funny funding system in ireland) last year i had to live off 40 euro after paying rent, per week. (thats four times lower than the official breadline in this country) in one of the most expensive cities in the world (dublin) surely you can see why people in my position would be a little hyper protective of anyone going off and making a bundle of cash with your work (3d IS work. it takes ages!!!! and such mind breaking cocentration sometimes..) although if anyone wants to go make a bundle of cash with my 3d and cut me in, then all good :)
having said that, in this day and age, to make a game that has any production values whatsoever, is a team sport. there is a limit what any one person can do. so long as people are treated with respect, and egos are checked regularly, it is a good way to work. and lets face it, a vital skill if you want to get a job, not just within the games industry, but anywhere.

as for creative people being odd... personally i think people who wear silly uniforms (suits) and drive pointless ego extentions (merc/BMW etc) and play golf, are pretty fucking odd!!! yea, some people think i am odd, as i sit inside doing 3d, or writing music, or painting, instead of going out and getting drunk. i have a truely warped sense of humour too. i also wear lots of black (dont have to choose colour) army surplus stuff (dont have to worry bout replacing clothes every few years)

on the subject of teamwork, and recruiting 3d artists etc, one thing to keep in mind that i have come up against, is design. programmers are not always the best games designers, or communicaters. nor are "artists" and asset providers. it is always a good idea to recrute a "designer" responsible for communicating the big and the little things to both camps.
the programmer may not understand how "this model" may take three weeks to be done, when "this other" model only took a few hours.
the 3d guy may not understand "why" water cannot be made functional with the current code, or why 2d sprite type foliage renders differantly, or why alpha maps dont get anti-aliased the same way as the RGB part of the texture etc. and both camps have to realise that without both asset creation and code creation, all you have is a bunch of ideas and not a lot else. free 3d assets are not the answer, nor will they ever be, no matter how many libraries you raid. nor will "free" type engines and modable games totally allow you to fire the programmer. at the end of the day we all want to make cool looking, and playing, games. we also all want to be able to eat at least once a day.

i like seeing my work generate conversation and oppinion. i am also glad the assets are being used by people. thanks all for the feedback.
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

thread updated with latest models. a foliage pack. two trees, two plants, and a grass. see the initial thread to find pic, details and the download link. this is one i would like feedback on, to make sure they work for people.
enjoy.
futnuh
Goblin

Post by futnuh »

I'm confused, what is this doing in the Ogre showcase forum?
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Post by SomeFusion »

wow I have just found this thread and I must say the quality of your models/textures is very impressive!
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

futnuh wrote:I'm confused, what is this doing in the Ogre showcase forum?
A mod moved it there.
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

thread updated. ILB_modelpack02 is released. hope people find the models useful.
enjoy.
hangchon18
Halfling

Post by hangchon18 »

these free 3d model source is usefull for game.
Thanks for the your free 3d model source. :lol:
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

ok, i just updated my assets tread. (see the main post on apge 1 for details.)
there is a new robot, a set of pipe parts, and a huge new texture library.
hope people find this useful.
JeDi
Gnome

Post by JeDi »

The new robot model is very cool! This is going to be my test-model for my physically based character animation. Thanks for all the great work. If I have something to show off, I will definitely show it in these forums.

Again, thanks. This is just what non-artists like me need to create decent testing scenes.

Greetz,
JeDi
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

thats exactly what i put them out for. glad you like, and i look forward to seeing what you come up with.
JeDi
Gnome

Post by JeDi »

I read in the readme file of the robot model that you are going to release a "beat up" version later on. That reminds me of this post, where a damage texture and a shader are used to interpolate between the clean and the damaged model in real-time. It would be cool to implement that technique with this model. I'll put it on my TODO list :)

Greetz,
JeDi
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

ya, its not too beat up though
just some dirt, and some chunks of rust where the white plastic is worn off.

this bot was designed to be a factory bot. his skinny construction makes it tricky to put large impact damage on him. he doesn't look very strong.
i want to get his animations done, then will release a version with the rust and dirt.
if you want, make a beat-up texture yourself to implament this texture blending technique, as it looks pretty cool. sorry my beat-up texture isn't beat up enough.