Me or XP

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.

What should I do for my OS?

Fix Me
No votes
Upgrade to XP
79%
Other
21%

Total votes: 28

:RoB:JoB:
Gnoblar

Me or XP

Post by :RoB:JoB: »

I've had WinMe for some time now, and I guess it's just been my good luck that I havn't had any problems for so long. But I downloaded the DirectX9 SDK tonight and my computer started freeking out. It prints something like
Could not update file %1 from %2
%1, %2
a hundred times at startup and it takes FOREVER!

Anyone ever hear of this or know how to fix it?

I checked Microsoft.com for a patch and didn't see anything obvious, but my concern is that--even if I manage to get things working--it will keep breaking down. I've heard that people REALLY hate Windows Me, why? What do they know that I don't?

So what should I do,

1. Take my computer in to have it fixed or figure out how to fix it myself...
or
2. Upgrade to XP...
or
3. The third option I'm not aware of yet.
dhaley
Gnoblar

Post by dhaley »

Personally, I think WinME is an evil, evil hack that is halfway between Windows 98 and Windows2K/XP, and it takes the worse from both worlds, with very little redeeming factors.

My only experiences with it have been lock-ups, hard-to-get-working-right networking, evil explorer crashes (even more than in 98 ), fake improvements to the UI that only slow things down, a horrible environment to develop in...

Basically, I would consider you very fortunate to have not had any problems... even though, it seems that they're starting. :)

I would most definitely recommend an upgrade to Win2K or WinXP (Pro if possible), if that's within your budget.
However, if you're going to buy a new computer within the next few months, I would consider not upgrading the OS and just get the new PC with the OS. You can get real good PCs for real cheap these days (relatively speaking), so that might be an option as well. Darn OS will cost you a small fortune, which could be "padded" as it were by the new PC.

[Edited to change 8) to 8 ) in 98 above... d'oh!]
Last edited by dhaley on Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- david haley -
Gnoblar

Thanks David. I've had networking problems for a long time, and I've always considered networking a bitch in general, but maybe it's WinMe I should be angree at. I have two computers, both with WinMe and I ran the win network wizard on both computers and it didn't work. Somehow the network managed to deteriorate to the point where the only thing that works is file sharing, and it only works for the host with one, and only one, shared folder on the client. I guess I managed to fix it to the point where it was almost completely broken! So I decided to cut my loses.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Upgrade to Linux =)

But WinXP should be fine, just get rid of Windows ME..
stodge
Goblin

Post by stodge »

XP all the way baby! ME is an abortion of an OS, and Microsoft should refund those who bought it. I would rather suggest Linux, but if you want to stick with Windows, then XP is the only way to go.
Gnoblar

Actually, I have Mandrake Linux on my other computer, but I bought the 5 dollar CD, so I didn't have to know anything to install it. I can't even find GCC. I'm not knowlegable enough for this stuff, I'm slowly hacking my way through and trying to learn as I go, and I think working with Linux will just make this harder. But I'd like more than anything to work with Linux, if I could hack it. I'm very overwhelmed right now.

I did some searching after I posted this reply and found a Linux C++ compiler users guide, so things are looking up right now.

You guys are really cool. You should be commended for your patience with people like me, I know that we can seem pretty stupid some times. I know what it's like to be the expert looking down on everyone else, I used to be into map making for shooter games and I remember being the moron. Now I'm the moron again and I'm trying not annoy anyone too much.

Thanks!
We morons appreciate you very much! :D
Antiarc
Greenskin

Post by Antiarc »

Between ME and XP, go XP. ME is arguably the least stable OS Microsoft has ever put out, and XP has many more value-add features.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I agree to that - and I'd like to add:
Upgrade to XP professional - you'll regret it if you don't. :wink:
It's kind of like VC7.0 and VC7.1 ... :?
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Yeah, XP professional is great, with that you don't need to register with Microsoft when you change your hardware configuration *eek*
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

@:wumpus: -> In case you don't know - you don't have to - if you have *the tools*
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
dragor
Gnoblar

Post by dragor »

Definitely don't use ME. I'm actually surprised that you still are. Everyone that I've talked to that tried it went back to win98 within a week. ME was the worst OS put out by MS since dos 4.0. If your willing to learn linux, make your system dual boot and play around with it when you can. Once you learn it, it's very easy to use. There's lots of people around here that can help you with it too.
KeaponLaffin
Kobold

Post by KeaponLaffin »

I agree with everyone else here, ditch that god forsaken piece of crud that they call Windows ME! Go XP pro. 8)
wolfman8k
Gnoblar

Post by wolfman8k »

i also agree with everyone here that windows ME is a pile of turd.

And so is windows XP :evil:

: linux baby
leedgitar
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by leedgitar »

XP is not crap, however, ME is the biggest steaming pile of crap I have ever subjected my hardware to. I wouldn't even recommend it to my worst enemy.
Gnoblar

Thanks for all the input guys. I've decided to attemp Mandrake Linux before I buy XP. It's partly because I already have Linux on a dual boot removable hard drive setup, and partly because I'm anti-Microsoft. I'll probably have to post a lot in the help forum though... I figure this way I can avoid paying for XP, and the optional VC7 (since I have 6).

So, with linux, I can write code in the Notepad equivalent--basicly--and then compile from a comand prompt? I know there's syntax checker type program in there--Kwrite, Kdevelop, one of those--but it's pretty bare-bones compared to the VC package, right?

Also too, what's involved in upgrading to gcc 3.x, do I have to compile it?
dragor
Gnoblar

Post by dragor »

When you get everything setup, I'd suggest using Kdevelop for your project. It's very much like VC as far as I can tell. So if you already know VC, you'll be in familiar territory.

As for upgrading your gcc, the latest mandrake should have a very up to date gcc already. When a new gcc comes you, you just have to install it's rpm and your off and running.
sharkyx
Halfling

Post by sharkyx »

What happened to all these claims about XP being Spyware? I had XP Home on my Laptop connected through my main machine running Linux and it was constantly connecting to microsoft.com addressess, but looking at the packets, of course I couldn't figure out anything. That was after I installed and used XPAntispy.

Did it either resolve to "They don't send anything" or is it more a form of "We couldn't figure out, now we don't care anymore"?

Now using Win2K & Linux.

Post by Guest »

win 2000 is also an option it runs just fine it's kinda like winxp without the new gui & new features (& thus faster if u have a low end computer specially with not a lot of ram)