NEW, OGRE 1.4.6 VS9 SDK - OnLine!

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.

Useful?

Definitely yes!
52%
Maybe...
13%
I don't use/have vs9 yet.
35%

Total votes: 62

radioman
Greenskin

NEW, OGRE 1.4.6 VS9 SDK - OnLine!

Post by radioman »

i think it would be nice ;}

..so NOW it IS Nice :lol: :wink: :lol:

• For using Ogre:

link 1: <Kojack: Linked removed. No naughty stuff on here please. See page 3>
    link 2: <Kojack: Linked removed. No naughty stuff on here please. See page 3>

Enjoy! :wink:
Last edited by radioman on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.
peace & serenity
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

What's the point of the poll?
radioman
Greenskin

Post by radioman »

to force switch to vs9 :lol:
peace & serenity
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Sorry, I had to delete the poll as sorta pointless, to be honest. An SDK will come when it comes -- currently Sinbad is well overloaded with features for 1.6, and chances are pretty good he doesn't have VS2008 yet; it *just came out*, for crying out loud.

In due course, in other words -- no one says it wouldn't be nice...it's just a matter of time.

On the other hand, if you want to get one together and submit patches for the installer build scripts, feel free. ;)
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
radioman
Greenskin

Post by radioman »

..its hard to be free in this world ;}
peace & serenity
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by CaseyB »

radioman wrote:..its hard to be free in this world ;}
...What?!
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

CaseyB wrote:
...What?!
Ha, was just about to post the same. Personally, I'm still having a blast with VS 2003 + VisualAssistX, but I'm also stubborn about upgrading.

As always in the open source domain, Xavier is right on it: if you want something that doesn't exist, make it yourself.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Freedom implies responsibility -- anarchy works only if people can make responsible decisions for themselves. In this world (these forums) the moderators have the mandate to ensure that order reigns, and if that means it infringes on what someone perceives as personal freedom, well, you agreed to the concept of moderation when you registered your account. ;)

I determined that the poll was unnecessary because it serves no useful purpose -- who is going to say "no, I don't think we need a VS2008 SDK, thanks anyway". Polls also tend to attract extra attention to posts/topics (akin to posting in all caps, which also is not allowed here), and given that this topic has come up numerous times in the recent past, I further determined that the poll on the thread would draw unnecessary additional attention.

So now you know my decision process, and hopefully you have a slightly better understanding of the actual functioning of "freedom" to boot. ;) Happy posting!

xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

HexiDave wrote:
CaseyB wrote:
...What?!
Ha, was just about to post the same. Personally, I'm still having a blast with VS 2003 + VisualAssistX, but I'm also stubborn about upgrading.
Bah, VA and their "CTRL-O". :P I caught so much flak at Planet Moon for resisting VA like a Luddite -- every time someone needed to do something on my machine I'd hear about the lack of VA. ;)

On topic: I like VS2005 over 2003, for sure -- I'd also like VS2008 simply because it will use all four of my cores at home *within* a project build (whereas 2005 will only parallel build at the project level). That said, I'm in no hurry to run out and buy 2008; I'll probably wait until someone does a .NET 3.5 webcast, the price for which is a free copy of VS2008 Standard (which is how I obtained 2005 ;)).

I should note that whenever Sinbad gets around to making a 2008 SDK, support for 2003 probably will go away in Ogre -- I doubt that he is willing to build, test and debug on 3 different Visual Studios (plus C::B/MingW, Linux and Mac). There are only so many hours in the day. ;)

Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

xavier wrote:Sorry, I had to delete the poll as sorta pointless, to be honest.
While I agree with you that this poll is pointless – it is not a reason to delete it. I consider it rude to delete a poll from that reason.
xavier wrote:An SDK will come when it comes -- currently Sinbad is well overloaded with features for 1.6, and chances are pretty good he doesn't have VS2008 yet; it *just came out*, for crying out loud.
Sinbad is not the only one that can extend the code – I don’t think it will hart if radioman will download the code from the CVS – create a vs9 project and submit a patch.

radioman wrote:i think it would be nice ;}
The community welcomes you to participate. If you need something – don’t wait – implement it.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
radioman
Greenskin

Post by radioman »

cool, i try to make it real! Anyway it wil be first patch ;} so nobody knows what can happend :wink:
peace & serenity
manowar
Orc

Post by manowar »

To be honest there should not be that much to change. First of all, VS9 should upgrade without any problem the VS8 solution when you try to open it.
The only thing is that you need to recompile all the dependencies and make them part of the SDK.
A VS9 SDK might be cool, but does not need any rush. Now that I have found a way to use all my cores while compiling using this great plugin (http://www.todobits.es/downloadmpcl.html) that works even in VC++ 2005 express...that's enough to keep me happy for a while.
radioman
Greenskin

Post by radioman »

yeah ;/ and where is my dx9 sdk :?
peace & serenity
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Assaf Raman wrote:
xavier wrote:Sorry, I had to delete the poll as sorta pointless, to be honest.
While I agree with you that this poll is pointless – it is not a reason to delete it. I consider it rude to delete a poll from that reason.
That is not the only reason. If you read the whole post, the reason is multifaceted -- what you quoted was only one part of it.
I determined that the poll was unnecessary because it serves no useful purpose -- who is going to say "no, I don't think we need a VS2008 SDK, thanks anyway". Polls also tend to attract extra attention to posts/topics (akin to posting in all caps, which also is not allowed here), and given that this topic has come up numerous times in the recent past, I further determined that the poll on the thread would draw unnecessary additional attention.

manowar
Orc

Post by manowar »

radioman wrote:yeah ;/ and where is my dx9 sdk :?
Well it should not be that far...this kind of 400MB beast cannot run very fast :)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
radioman
Greenskin

Post by radioman »

did i really want these beasts ;} :?:
peace & serenity
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

To delete (or not deleting) a poll is not a big deal actually.

I have always reminded myself that this is a free forum and free sofware (Ogre) that we are talking about, so I feel grateful at the end of the day :)
Aquatix
Goblin

Post by Aquatix »

I say - let's have a poll "is it right to delete a poll?" Heh, if that gets deleted...
The mistery of Yoda's speech uncovered is:
Just an old Forth programmer Yoda was. :)

Nulle rule sine exceptione (lat.)
radioman
Greenskin

Post by radioman »

Nulle rule sine exceptione :wink:
peace & serenity
eugen
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: OGRE VS9 SDK

Post by eugen »

radioman wrote:i think it would be nice ;}
- Nulle rule sine exceptione
- did i really want these beasts ;}
- yeah ;/ and where is my dx9 sdk
- ..its hard to be free in this world ;}
- to force switch to vs9
Before starting a debate take a look at radioman's posts in this thread...does he realy care?!
radioman
Greenskin

Post by radioman »

..sorry i just wanted some off-topic here ;} :wink:
peace & serenity
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

I'm actually expecting that the VS8 SDK will work fine with VS9. VS9 doesn't really alter the native C++ compiler at all, unlike previous versions which have made fairly significant changes. Beyond the parallel compilation I doubt you'll notice any difference, VS9 is almost exclusively a .Net oriented release.

Thus, don't expect to see a VS9 SDK any time soon, just use the VS8 SDK for now.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

Could probably cut down on the confusion then by including new solution (and project) files with it and just call it "Visual Studio 2005-2008 SDK".
radioman
Greenskin

Post by radioman »

i allmost have done 1.4.5 compilation of ogre, just a minute and we have new vs9 sdk :wink:

..and vs9 work quite faster, so i like it :D
peace & serenity
radioman
Greenskin

Post by radioman »

..btw ogre sdk-vs8 vork with vs9 only in debug mode, in release it crach because they use new crt again ;}

..anyway i just finish build ogre in vs9 and it seems all worked perfect, additionaly i just link direct3d module with d3dx9.lib & put d3dx9_27.dll with vs9 crt modules, so at long last ogre users shall forget what is crapies_reditribuiytymytyble :lol:

i think tomorrrow all files will be online :D
peace & serenity