Hi all, Im new here and I would first like to say that my first impression of Ogre is very good.
I have been using scengraphs etc. for over 10 years, starting with Cosmo3D/Performer from SGI back in the old days..
I really like what I see so far...
However (why is there always a however;-) there is one thing that I really would like to see, and that is a multiplatform build environment....
I have been using CMake now for quite some time, and it is really doing marvelous things for the build. Having native project/make files for all platforms must be a tedious task, it also make the use of Ogre for multiplatform use slightly more tedious...
Have you considered for example CMake for this?
Now I realize that it probably doesnt exist CMake for Nintendo Wii? (or perhaps it does if its built under unix?)...
But I would say that most platforms under the sun is already supported, or will be if someone contribute. I have used quite a few build systems, and so far, CMake is the superior solution, compared to getting the right version of autoconf, etc....
Comments?
Build environment
- Game_Ender
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1269
- Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:31 am
- Location: Rockville, MD, USA
This has been talked about before. I don't think the current devs want to expend the resources to convert to CMake. If someone came up with a patch set I they might be willing to except it. I would take a stab at replacing the Linux build system with CMake, then slowing expand to the others.
My experience with CMake is that XCode project files it makes aren't that usable. Although I did spend a lot of effort to attempt to get them any better. They build fine, its just that only include the source files.
My experience with CMake is that XCode project files it makes aren't that usable. Although I did spend a lot of effort to attempt to get them any better. They build fine, its just that only include the source files.
Robotics @ Maryland AUV Team - Software Lead