OpenGL ES Support

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Post Reply
discobird
Gnoblar
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:45 pm
Location: IL

OpenGL ES Support

Post by discobird »

Hi Folks,

Before I start, please forgive me if this has been brought up before.

There are a number of handheld/mobile devices on the market with GPUs with OpenGL ES support. I haven't seen much info regarding this effort since the Port of OpenGL ES in version 1.1.0 alpha (Dagon). Looking at the 1.4.5 release, the RenderSystems' folder does not have a tree for OpenGL ES. Is there an effort to add support for OpenGL ES? If so, where can I find it? If not, what are the obstcales in making Ogre work under OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0?


Cheers,
Discobird
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
discobird
Gnoblar
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:45 pm
Location: IL

Post by discobird »

xavier wrote:Have you tried searching?

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11294
I haven't. I will browse around.

Thanks,
Discobird
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

Well, I guess my point was that if you click the link in my post, the answer to your question is there. ;)
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
WORMSXP
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:31 pm

Post by WORMSXP »

Sorry about reviving this thread (should I have created a new thread?), but if I'm not wrong there is already support for OpenGL ES 1.0 / 1.1 but not for OpenGL ES 2.0.

I think it would be insteresting having OpenGL ES 2.0 support in Ogre3D because in the next years will be lots of devices with OpenGL ES 2.0 support. And I am very very interested because I want to develop a 3D game for a open handheld with Hardware Accelerated OpenGL ES 2.0 (and powered by Linux ;)) called Pandora, that will be launched in few months. I've done some research and I think Ogre3D would be the best option...

So, there is any plan about including OpenGL ES 2.0 support?
frooze
Halfling
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by frooze »

For what it's worth, I'm also intending to buy the Pandora when it comes out, and I think it'd be great to be able to make simple demos using Ogre on the Pandora, especially since it's running a slightly modified linux distribution, and it has 3D hardware acceleration

Specs are here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

(darn it links with underscores don't turn out well in phpBB2)
DDd
Kobold
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Post by DDd »

Read this... http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 8&start=50

3 people interested in Opengl es 2.0 support might be a good suggestion for gsoc after all ;) or even outside of that program.
WORMSXP
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:31 pm

Post by WORMSXP »

Thanks, I didn't see that post. I've just posted there too.
Post Reply