Fully Destructible Levels - New website and domain!

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Entropai
Kobold

Post by Entropai »

PolyVox wrote: The most significant advances is are:

1) The integration of rigid body physics using Bullet. You can dynamically modify the scene while objects bounce around.

2) The (mostly finished) separation from Ogre, allowing the library to be used in non-ogre projects. I'm still using Ogre for the showcase engine, though.

Actually I am expecting to release a new tech demo within a week :-)
Wow thats good news, i've been watching this with great interest for some time :) . Are you still thinking to release under GPL license?
Jallen
Halfling

Post by Jallen »

It's awesome, but it crashes for me when i dig too deep in to the walls. (8800GT, Athlon64 3500+, 2GB RAM) DX9 Renderer.
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Yes, both the library and the engine which is built on top of it will be under the GPL (as opposed to the LGPL, which I was once considering). This is to allow it to be used in other GPL'd projects, while still allowing me to exploit it commercially in the future (if the oppertunity arises).
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Jallen wrote:It's awesome, but it crashes for me when i dig too deep in to the walls. (8800GT, Athlon64 3500+, 2GB RAM) DX9 Renderer.
Thanks! But actually a few people have had the crashing probelm - I've never exactly addressed it but so much had changed that maybe it's just disappeared. Or maybe that's wishful thinking...

Well, let's see if it occurs in the new tech demo when I release it.
triton
Greenskin

Post by triton »

This looks very nice! Nice to hear you are still working on it, PolyVox. :D
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

*** Update - Rigid Body Physics ***

I have updated the tech demo to show the new integration with Bullet - this allows rigid body physics in a fully destructible environment. The things you might want are:

New Demo:
http://www.david-williams.info/linked_f ... csDemo.zip
Runtime (install if you have a problem running the demo):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmZrdBBQThk
Higher Quality Video (Encoded with XViD):
http://www.david-williams.info/linked_f ... moXVid.Avi

Screenshot:

I haven't been providing updates on this project as often as I would like but it is still moving ahead. The latest demo shows how both Bullet and Ogre can be updated with new environment data in real time. It's still early in the physics integration stage and I need to make a lot of speed improvements but the potential is definitely there :-)

The project is now really two projects:

PolyVox Library: The underlying library which stores the volume representation of the world and is responsible for generating new meshes when the voxels change. This library is independent of Ogre and the idea is that anyone can integrate it into their own engine.

Thermite Game Engine: An experimental game engine to showcase PolyVox technology by combining it with Ogre and Bullet.

Actually this separation is not quite complete but should be within a few weeks. Note that the code is not easily buildable on either Windows or Linux at the moment (you really have to know what you are doing) but as the separation proceeds and the code gets neater this should change.

Both projects are under the GPL.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions!
Last edited by PolyVox on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Five_stars
Gnoblar

Post by Five_stars »

WOW! (And it's not the name of game :) )
Astonishing video and features, of course!

Added 1:
There was small problem with starting up. Archive must be packed into "C:/Thermite/", else programme can't load GL library (Ogre.log :) ).

Added 2: It's just a small notice.
If I have changed the scene (destroy all, it looks really cool). I press `ESC` and I see window of loading the scene. I press load again (I want to reload), but it doesn't work. I see my destroyed castle.
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Five_stars wrote:WOW! (And it's not the name of game :) )
Astonishing video and features, of course!
Thanks! I'm glad you like it :-)
Five_stars wrote:Added 1:
There was small problem with starting up. Archive must be packed into "C:/Thermite/", else programme can't load GL library (Ogre.log :) ).
Ok, I've fixed this and updated the download. Please try it again if you get a chance and thanks for pointing it out.
Five_stars wrote:Added 2: It's just a small notice.
If I have changed the scene (destroy all, it looks really cool). I press `ESC` and I see window of loading the scene. I press load again (I want to reload), but it doesn't work. I see my destroyed castle.
Yeah, I noticed that. I will fix it at some point but it's not too important.
NickM
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by NickM »

It looks fantastic, well done.
Praetorian
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Praetorian »

Looks amazing, I wish i had a better computer.... :D
triton
Greenskin

Post by triton »

The demo runs really slow here, but the video looks really nice. :D
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!
Praetorian wrote:Looks amazing, I wish i had a better computer.... :D
triton wrote:The demo runs really slow here, but the video looks really nice. :D
Yes, it is a little slow at the moment. The main culprit is the physics - especially when modifying the environment because lots of structures get updated.

At the moment there are *a lot* of triangles (something like 250,000) and they are all fed to both the graphics and the physics engine. But in practice the physics engine can probably use a much lower resolution mesh (and the graphics engine will benefit from this too when rendering objects in the distance).

I'm developing on a laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and an NVidia 8600M GS. I get about 50 FPS when flying around and 5-10 FPS when destroying scenery. How does that compare to what you get?
triton
Greenskin

Post by triton »

Core 2 Duo CPU and X3100 GPU, so you can probably guess the framerates. :wink:
FrameFever
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by FrameFever »

when I press the right mouse button the app crash

and the camera control is really strange.
mr.Zog
Halfling

Post by mr.Zog »

It's absolutely cool! :)

A minor issue is that the camera control could be updated.
Praetorian

Post by Praetorian »

Not sure if this helps but with my ancient computer (512mb of ram, 1.8ghz Pentium 4 and a 128mb Radeon9600 Pro) the castle itself is displayed pure white (I assume I'm lacking the necessary shader support (my card supports ps/vs2.0... is 3.0 needed?). I get about 10-20fps without destroying anything and the destruction did work (I can see it in the white silouette) it becomes a slideshow after that, before stabilizing a bit later and returning to the 10-15 range. As I said earlier I wish I had a nicer computer... from the video and screenshots though it looks amazing :D
milliams
Gremlin

Post by milliams »

I love the medieval Weighted Companion Cubes :)
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Thanks for the feedback!
FrameFever wrote:...and the camera control is really strange.
mr.Zog wrote:A minor issue is that the camera control could be updated.
Agreed... actually I've got used to it but it could be improved a lot. Some kind of auto-level or something as it's easy to end up sideways.
Praetorian wrote:Not sure if this helps but with my ancient computer (512mb of ram, 1.8ghz Pentium 4 and a 128mb Radeon9600 Pro) the castle itself is displayed pure white (I assume I'm lacking the necessary shader support (my card supports ps/vs2.0... is 3.0 needed?). I get about 10-20fps without destroying anything and the destruction did work (I can see it in the white silouette) it becomes a slideshow after that, before stabilizing a bit later and returning to the 10-15 range. As I said earlier I wish I had a nicer computer... from the video and screenshots though it looks amazing :D
I haven't really thought about it - I just set the shader model to 3.0 to give myself some flexibility. However, it's not just texture mapping, I'm actually using a texture atlas to apply many textures in the same material. This requires some fragment shader code but maybe not 3.0. I'll try and provide fallback materials for the next version anyway.
milliams wrote:I love the medieval Weighted Companion Cubes
Ha, I hadn't thought of them like that! But they are from the OgreBullet samples actually - I hope it's ok to reuse them for this demo...
Peeling
Gnoblar

Post by Peeling »

Hi :) Just wanted to say: very interesting stuff! I really like the physics integration.

Believe it or not I wrote the Worms3D and Worms Mayhem landscape engines; it's cool to see similar tech being worked on.
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Peeling wrote:Believe it or not I wrote the Worms3D and Worms Mayhem landscape engines; it's cool to see similar tech being worked on.
Cool! Actually I researched the Worms 'Poxel' Engine a year ago as I was going to write a paper about my approach and was looking for similar work. I came across someone called Andy (I think) but never got around to contacting him (I still haven't written the paper...). Is that you by any chance?

Well I'm glad you like it, the physics integration is cool but to be honest I'm amazed it works as well as it does. It *really* needs optimising.

So can you give me any tips from worms, or is it all under NDA? I'd be particularly interested in any tips on how you generated texture coordinates for the mesh - I'm currently using triplanar texturing but wondering if there is a better way...

Anyway, good to here from you!
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Nice! Is it possible to break pieces off the castle and make them be affected by physics too?
Peeling
Gnoblar

Post by Peeling »

Cool! Actually I researched the Worms 'Poxel' Engine a year ago as I was going to write a paper about my approach and was looking for similar work. I came across someone called Andy (I think) but never got around to contacting him (I still haven't written the paper...). Is that you by any chance?
Certainly is :) Well remembered!
So can you give me any tips from worms, or is it all under NDA? I'd be particularly interested in any tips on how you generated texture coordinates for the mesh - I'm currently using triplanar texturing but wondering if there is a better way...
I doubt anyone will mind if I pass on what I learned, so sure. I'll put together some info and post it ASAP.
Peeling
Gnoblar

Post by Peeling »

Ok, here goes :)

The issue of texturing in W3D/M is really bound up with broader issues surrounding the poxel engine and the game as a whole. Before W3D, I'd always started with a tech concept and built the game around what that technology was capable of. With W3D, that wasn't an option. Worms already had a very distinct graphical style which needed to be reproduced in 3D.

We looked at the existing marching boxes demos, but although they were very impressive, they didn't actually LOOK any good. All the coders would stand around marvelling at the achievement, and all the artists would stand around saying "Hell, I can't make anything look good using that!" And at the end of the day, an engine only looks as good as the artists can make it look.

It was therefore very quickly apparent that a straightforward voxel lattice wasn't going to work. Plus the game had to run on a 32mb PS2, so setting aside 16mb or so for a voxel array of reasonable resolution was impossible. And as for texturing - well, having a 'material' for each voxel just doesn't cut it: an artist needs to be able to put a door texture on a door, a window texture on a window - they need real control.

Taking all this into account, I replaced the idea of a single voxel lattice with multiple ones, each of which could be positioned and oriented independently. At first, the idea was to have, say, one lattice for a house, another for a tree, with voxels within those lattices used to produce the detailed structure. To facilitate the organic worms style, I also added progressively more deformation options to the lattices: first a heightmap applied across the X/Y plane of the lattice, then two independent shear/taper deformations along the X/Z and Y/Z planes, and finally upgrading the shear/taper deformations to have seperate values for each layer within the lattice, which allowed the artists to create bent, organic shapes. Almost immediately, the 'one lattice per object' notion was tossed out: we ended up with landscapes consisting of 500+ individual lattices, some consisting of just a few highly deformed voxels. Drawing with voxels, you see, is horrible. The artists usually ended up just filling each lattice completely to the brim and then shaping it to fit, with the individual voxels only really coming into play as the landscape was destroyed

The texturing problem was overcome by dividing the generated geometry into top, bottom and side polygons, with a seperate custom texture projection onto each surface. The projection occurred after the heightmap was applied but before the edge-deformation tapering, so brickwork would follow the curved shapes of the walls.

Rather than one material per voxel, we allowed two, and had a per-corner blend value to permit smooth transitions. We also discarded the raw marching boxes algorithm in favour of a bespoke system which optionally crenellated the walls and rolled-off the edges of each lattice - each voxel was essentially divided into four and skinned with polygons accordingly. Finally we added details like grass edges.

As you can imagine, in all this the lovely simple collision detection you're enjoying went completely out of the window. We also had an even worse problem: we couldn't afford to drop frames on the PS2, but at the same time we couldn't regenerate the landscape fast enough if a huge explosion went off. We had to timeslice the regeneration - which meant that we couldn't use the landscape geometry for collision. During regeneration, it would be leaky. We had to use the raw voxel data. Fortunately, the poxel deformations I'd devised were reversible, so you could tell reasonably quickly whether a given point in space was inside a poxel. Surface normal calculation, on the other hand, was indescribably hideous.

Then there was the self-shadowing - again, not something we could just omit because it was hard :) Each lattice chunk had a list of shadow dependencies - chunks that needed to be rechecked if that chunk was damaged. On top of that we ended up caching which voxel was occluding each vertex in the landscape, so that after an explosion we could very, very quickly check whether any given vertex was affected.

In W4 Mayhem, I added point light sources. They couldn't overlap, but they cast shadows and all the rest of it - a humongous ball-ache, frankly, but it looked nice. I also added a simple low-res heightmap under the whole scene to provide a cheap, area-filling base upon which landscapes could be constructed.

In short, to get a voxel engine that actually looked like a proper game and wouldn't give the artists an embolism, I had to prioritise the features they needed: control over texturing and shape. Everything else had to be engineered around that. I'm actually really proud of the result - second only to the worm animation system in W4 :)

For that reason, I'd strongly advise you to think about what your engine is going to be used for - and by who - before piling too many features on top.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Wow, that is a lot of useful advice! Thanks a lot :)
Peeling wrote:Taking all this into account, I replaced the idea of a single voxel lattice with multiple ones, each of which could be positioned and oriented independently. At first, the idea was to have, say, one lattice for a house, another for a tree, with voxels within those lattices used to produce the detailed structure.
That's one of the use cases I've been thinking about though I haven't put it in the tech demo. It has the advantage that you can save a lot of memory (because your not storing anything for empty regions of space), and also it integrates nicely with existing engines. For example you can have a regular non-destructible room built of polygons, and in the room you can have some destructible statues built of voxels. I was expecting to provide one transformation per volume and the detail of the statue would then be done by setting the values of individual voxels as you describe.
Peeling wrote:... I also added progressively more deformation options to the lattices ... and finally upgrading the shear/taper deformations to have seperate values for each layer within the lattice, which allowed the artists to create bent, organic shapes.
Peeling wrote:The artists usually ended up just filling each lattice completely to the brim and then shaping it to fit, with the individual voxels only really coming into play as the landscape was destroyed
Hmmm, I see. I can understand why they do that - working with lattice deformations is common in many 3D modeling packages so it was probably more natural to them that sculpting the individual voxels. However, it not something I was really planning to implement because (as you noticed) it gets a lot more complicated.

What tools were the artists using for making the voxel models and applying the deformations? Presumably something developed in house? I was instead planning to have objects modeled in a standard package, placed into the world, and then voxelized.
Peeling wrote:The texturing problem was overcome by dividing the generated geometry into top, bottom and side polygons, with a seperate custom texture projection onto each surface. The projection occurred after the heightmap was applied but before the edge-deformation tapering, so brickwork would follow the curved shapes of the walls.

Rather than one material per voxel, we allowed two, and had a per-corner blend value to permit smooth transitions. We also discarded the raw marching boxes algorithm in favour of a bespoke system which optionally crenellated the walls and rolled-off the edges of each lattice - each voxel was essentially divided into four and skinned with polygons accordingly. Finally we added details like grass edges.
I've thought about storing multiples values per voxels and it can have several uses. Blending of materials (as you mention), perhaps also weighting so that the polygon surface can be controlled more carefully for sharp corners or smooth curves. You could also give a voxel a strength so that multiple hits are required to destroy it.

But it sounds like your system does have a limitation - presumably you can't have an object which is a different material inside to outside. So you can't blast through a brick wall and find there is earth behind it? Or shoot a concrete statue and discover it has a steel core?
Peeling wrote:As you can imagine, in all this the lovely simple collision detection you're enjoying went completely out of the window. We also had an even worse problem: we couldn't afford to drop frames on the PS2, but at the same time we couldn't regenerate the landscape fast enough if a huge explosion went off. We had to timeslice the regeneration - which meant that we couldn't use the landscape geometry for collision. During regeneration, it would be leaky. We had to use the raw voxel data. Fortunately, the poxel deformations I'd devised were reversible, so you could tell reasonably quickly whether a given point in space was inside a poxel. Surface normal calculation, on the other hand, was indescribably hideous.
Regenerating data over multiple frames is also something I have considered but haven't needed yet. I guess I have the advantage that I'm targeting a considereably more powerful machine. There's a lot more speed I can squeeze out of my marching cubes implementation but it may turn out that the bottle neck is in uploading the data to the graphics card.
Peeling wrote:Then there was the self-shadowing - again, not something we could just omit because it was hard :) Each lattice chunk had a list of shadow dependencies - chunks that needed to be rechecked if that chunk was damaged. On top of that we ended up caching which voxel was occluding each vertex in the landscape, so that after an explosion we could very, very quickly check whether any given vertex was affected.

In W4 Mayhem, I added point light sources. They couldn't overlap, but they cast shadows and all the rest of it - a humongous ball-ache, frankly, but it looked nice. I also added a simple low-res heightmap under the whole scene to provide a cheap, area-filling base upon which landscapes could be constructed.
Shadowing is a very interesting issue which I haven't addressed yet. But I'm basically planning to use one of the standard approaches (probably shadow maps) and I'm expecting it to 'just work' on fully dynamic scenes. Is this naive? Or were you precomputing the lighting in order to get higher quality or a certain artistic feel?

Actually I have thought about computing the lighting by tracing rays through the voxel data and I think it does have potential. The first article in GPU Gems 3 does a voxel based landscape and uses raytracing in the volume data to compute ambient occlusion. I think it will look nice, but I'm concerned that recomputing the lighting whenever part of the world is destroyed will be too expensive for the CPU.
Peeling wrote:In short, to get a voxel engine that actually looked like a proper game and wouldn't give the artists an embolism, I had to prioritise the features they needed: control over texturing and shape. Everything else had to be engineered around that. I'm actually really proud of the result - second only to the worm animation system in W4 :)

For that reason, I'd strongly advise you to think about what your engine is going to be used for - and by who - before piling too many features on top.
Well the truth is I'm just seeing what I can do with the technology - I don't have a particular game concept in mind. But I think the important point is that I really have to consider the artists if I expect anyone to make use of the engine.

Thanks for the feedback!
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

nikki wrote:Nice! Is it possible to break pieces off the castle and make them be affected by physics too?
I agree this would be really cool and I am planning to try it. Ken silvermans Voxlap engine allows this so it should be possible. It's such an obvious thing to expect that it looks noticably wrong when it doesn't happen. Not sure when I expect to do it though...