The Teddy Incident [update: released editor]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
novaumas
Greenskin

Post by novaumas »

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

And thanks for the criticism! I appreciate that you guys have taken the time to try it out and give your opinion.
Maybe its me, but I think that the blood fontain does not fit in
The blood spatter effect could use some work, it doesn't hold up to the otherwise very nice graphics.
Particle systems and the blood effect... delicate topic :D

The first particle effect I created was the blades of grass, because we needed some special effects for a class milestone... After that it was used as a place holder effect for everything else. In the early versions of the game, when you hit an enemy, four blades of grass appear instead of blood...

Until the 15 September we didn't see the blood effect ( Take into account that the project presentation was initially scheduled for the 17 September! ) It seems funny now :)

Not that I'm trying to justify anything, it is what it is, but I was quite glad we had a blood effect at all.

I did envision it very different though.
Shadow quality changes way too much depending on the camera angle
I must confess, shadows were an afterthought, and we payed for it. I had no idea they'd be such a pain. Live and learn.

The camera angle thing, still no idea what's going on, but maybe that's because I haven't had the time to calmly look at how to get nice shadows with Ogre.
Camera controls are very direct, rotating the camera could feel a little bit smoother
Agree 100%. On the TODO list, never got to it.
The combat gameplay might need some work. I found it easier to just ignore the enemies most of the time
Jejeje, but where's the fun if you avoid mindless massacres?

Code: Select all

Jumping is quite hard to do. I didn't complete the game up to now because I got fed up from falling down into the void
We've had issues with people having trouble with the controls.
Too late now, but we should have had an all keyboard control, or game pad control. It was on the infinite, ever expanding TODO list too ;)
jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

Deadlines just suck sometimes :)
Enough is never enough.
oddrose
Orc

Post by oddrose »

It's easy to knitpick these things now but I'm impressed anyway. In my opinion you have a clearly playable game finished (and on deadline as I take it?). To be able to finalize something (and perhaps sacrificing some details) is a lot harder than working on something forever and just adding features to the list. Kudos!

Edit: Btw, the death sequence for the player is totally awesome!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Damn, I wish I could see this, server is down again :(
oddrose
Orc

Post by oddrose »

gamedboy
Gremlin

Post by gamedboy »

This is really Cool! I like the dance, the enemies do when they kill the player, it is really funny
novaumas
Greenskin

Post by novaumas »

Deadlines just suck sometimes
A necessary evil though :D
Damn, I wish I could see this, server is down again
Yeah... it does that often :(. Now it seems to be working again. It's hosted on one of the team member's server, and it isn't very reliable...
Btw, the death sequence for the player is totally awesome!
This is really Cool! I like the dance, the enemies do when they kill the player, it is really funny
Thanks, I'll be sure to tell the animator, he'll be very happy :D
lithander
Greenskin

Post by lithander »

The screenshots look very very cool but I can't get it to run. Downloaded the zip, extracted it to C:/Spiele/Teddy/ ran the executable and it crashed after or at creating the viewport. Last line in log:

10:48:34: Creating viewport on target 'The Teddy Incident', rendering from camera 'Camera', relative dimensions L: 0.00 T: 0.00 W: 1.00 H: 1.00 ZOrder: 0
novaumas
Greenskin

Post by novaumas »

The screenshots look very very cool but I can't get it to run.
It seems that for some reason it cannot load the theora video plugin.
Go to data/configuration.xml and change the line that says:

<show_intro>true</show_intro>
to:

<show_intro>false</show_intro>
This way you won't see the intro, but hopefully will be able to play the game :D

Edit: Replaced show_menu with show_intro
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

Awesome job!
helloween
Halfling

Post by helloween »

Great Work!

About the animation editor, how did you implemented the diagrams design part ? I suppose you implemented it, I have been looking for this kind of library for .NET but could not find any :(
volca
Gnome

Post by volca »

helloween wrote:Great Work!

About the animation editor, how did you implemented the diagrams design part ? I suppose you implemented it, I have been looking for this kind of library for .NET but could not find any :(
There seems to be a discussion about that here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45260
And some results by eber under wxWidgets here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45305
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Thanks, looks excellent! Love the visual style too, and the name.
muller
Halfling

Post by muller »

novaumas wrote:
The screenshots look very very cool but I can't get it to run.
It seems that for some reason it cannot load the theora video plugin.
Go to data/configuration.xml and change the line that says:

<show_intro>true</show_intro>
to:

<show_intro>false</show_intro>
This way you won't see the intro, but hopefully will be able to play the game :D

Edit: Replaced show_menu with show_intro
done that .. does not launch ... there's an error in NxOgre log, that could not initialize sdk, maybe that's the problem.
novaumas
Greenskin

Post by novaumas »

done that .. does not launch ... there's an error in NxOgre log, that could not initialize sdk, maybe that's the problem.
It requires PhysX System Software version 2.7.3 or later installed at least. Maybe you are missing that. You can download the latest version from here. ( perhaps you'll need CUDA too, I don't know, I just have 2.7.3 installed )

Thanks everyone for the positive response :D

I found this in the concept art folder, and thought I'd share. It's one of the first drawings of the main bad guy:
Baddcog
Halfling

Post by Baddcog »

This looks very cool, gonna have to DL it later!
sisyphus
Halfling

Post by sisyphus »

Wow!

Very impressive...I just finished my masters degree project as well, and I must admit yours looks a lot better than mine!

Do you think you might open source the code, cause I would love to be able to see how you made those nifty effects!
http://GPForge.com | digital art and entertainment
novaumas
Greenskin

Post by novaumas »

This looks very cool, gonna have to DL it later!
Do you think you might open source the code, cause I would love to be able to see how you made those nifty effects!
There's no plan of making the full source code public. Although I'll gladly share parts that I think might be of general interest. For example, the animation system is open source.
If you're curious about something in particular I'll be more than happy to discuss it here :D
alanmorell
Gnoblar

Sort!

Post by alanmorell »

Ei, companys! Molta sort al concurs d'Art Futura!
Espero que guanyeu, si no el premi gran, un de secundari!

Salut!

Hey, buddies! I wish you a lot of good luck at the Art Futura contest!
I hope that you win, if not possible the big prize, at least one of the secondary ones!

Cheers!
Baddcog
Halfling

Post by Baddcog »

Got a chance to run around a bit, due to back pain my attention span is low...

Seems pretty cool. I'd like resolutions settings though, running on a 24 widescreen and it's a bit jaggy.

I didn't know what you meant by oniric so I looked it up. I take it this is the type of journey he is on.

o⋅nei⋅ric   /oʊˈnaɪrɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [oh-nahy-rik] Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective of or pertaining to dreams.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Kinda reminds me of a cross between American McGee's Alice and James and the Giant Peach. Nicely done.
alanmorell
Gnoblar

Felicitats!

Post by alanmorell »

Felicitats per la menció a la millor direcció d'art al concurs d'Art Futura, Pau & co.!

Congratulations for the mention to the best art direction at the Art Futura contest, Pau & co.!
Hansel
Gremlin

Post by Hansel »

Congrats! :D
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

May I ask how you created the transform widget in your editor? For the life of me I can't figure it out. I'd normally use a 3D model, but it looks naff -- is yours a ManualObject?
novaumas
Greenskin

Post by novaumas »

Seems pretty cool. I'd like resolutions settings though, running on a 24 widescreen and it's a bit jaggy.
Jejeje 24 inch, lucky you :) You can change display settings manually by editing the display.cfg file. Not perfect, I know, an ingame menu would be the correct thing to do. Also, widescreen displays may experience some issues with the GUI elements' scale not being correct.
Kinda reminds me of a cross between American McGee's Alice and James and the Giant Peach. Nicely done.
Thanks! Truth be told, we were a little bit more inspired by Burton films ( specially at the beginning of the project, later the characters and world seemed to start developing a personality of their own ), but wanted to go for a lighter, less gloomy world. Don't know if we managed to get it right, but it was a big inspiration source.
Congratulations for the mention to the best art direction at the Art Futura contest, Pau & co.!
Iei!! Thanks a lot Alan. We are very happy about it. For some reason now all the problems during development seem so far away... ( No t'ho escric també en Català que veig que tens un bon nivell d'Anglés :P )
Congrats!
:D!
May I ask how you created the transform widget in your editor? For the life of me I can't figure it out. I'd normally use a 3D model, but it looks naff -- is yours a ManualObject?
Sure.
All the transform widgets in the editor are manual objects.
For example, the move widget is made of three lines ( one per axis ) and three cones.

The editors are Mogre code, so sorry for that. It's very straightforward to port though. Here is the creation of the X axis for the move gizmo:

m_transformGizmoX = GeometryHelper.CreateLine( SceneManager, XAxisMaterialName, Mogre.Vector3.ZERO, Mogre.Vector3.UNIT_X );
m_transformGizmoX2 = GeometryHelper.CreateCone( SceneManager, XAxisMaterialName, Mogre.Vector3.UNIT_X, Mogre.Vector3.UNIT_X, radius, sides, height );
And here are the functions called. They may have many bugs ( in fact I'm pretty sure, as they just have been tested with the editor. They do work for the editor's reduced need so I didn't check them thoroughly. ).

If anyone wishes to use them, please feel free to do so, but if you find any bug and fix it would be nice if you'd told me :) ( not an obligation though, it'd just be nice )

public static Mogre.ManualObject CreateLine( Mogre.SceneManager sceneManager, String materialName, Mogre.Vector3 startPoint, Mogre.Vector3 endPoint )
{
	Mogre.ManualObject line = sceneManager.CreateManualObject( CreateNewRandomName() );

line.Begin( materialName, Mogre.RenderOperation.OperationTypes.OT_LINE_LIST );
	line.Position( startPoint );
	line.Position( endPoint );
	line.End();

return line;
}

public static Mogre.ManualObject CreateCone( Mogre.SceneManager sceneManager, String materialName, Mogre.Vector3 center, Mogre.Vector3 direction, float radius, int sides, float height )
{
	List<Mogre.Vector3> points = GetCirclePoints( center, radius, sides, direction, false );
	Mogre.Vector3 tip = center + direction.NormalisedCopy * height;

Mogre.ManualObject cone = sceneManager.CreateManualObject( CreateNewRandomName() );

cone.Begin( materialName, Mogre.RenderOperation.OperationTypes.OT_TRIANGLE_LIST );
	foreach ( Mogre.Vector3 point in points )
	{
		cone.Position( point );
	}
	cone.Position( tip );
	cone.Position( center );

ushort tipIndex = ( ushort ) ( points.Count );
	ushort centerIndex = ( ushort ) ( points.Count + 1 );
	for ( int i = 0; i < points.Count; i++ )
	{
		ushort v1 = ( ushort ) ( i );
		ushort v2 = ( ushort ) ( ( i + 1 ) % ( points.Count ) );
		cone.Index( tipIndex );
		cone.Index( v1 );
		cone.Index( v2 );

//cap
		cone.Index( centerIndex );
		cone.Index( v1 );
		cone.Index( v2 );
	}

cone.End();

return cone;
}

public static List<Mogre.Vector3> GetCirclePoints( Mogre.Vector3 center, float radius, int sides, Mogre.Vector3 normal, bool close )
{
	Debug.Assert( 0 < sides );

Mogre.Vector3 defaultNormal = Mogre.Vector3.UNIT_X;
	Mogre.Quaternion q = defaultNormal.GetRotationTo( normal );

float dot = normal.DotProduct( Mogre.Vector3.NEGATIVE_UNIT_X );
	float fi = ( float ) Math.Acos( dot / ( normal.Length ) );
	if ( fi <= 0.001 )
	{
		q.FromAngleAxis( new Mogre.Degree( 180 ), Mogre.Vector3.UNIT_Y );
	}

List<Mogre.Vector3> points = new List<Mogre.Vector3>();

float value = 0;
	float inc = ( float ) ( 2 * Math.PI ) / sides;

int iterations = sides;
	if ( close )
	{
		iterations++;
	}

for ( int i = 0; i < iterations; i++ )
	{
		Mogre.Vector3 point = new Mogre.Vector3( 0, radius * ( float ) Math.Cos( value ), radius * ( float ) Math.Sin( value ) );
		Mogre.Vector3 transformedPoint = center + ( q * point );

points.Add( transformedPoint );

value += inc;
	}

return points;
}