Linux: make install and standard plug-in headers

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Giniu
Halfling

Linux: make install and standard plug-in headers

Post by Giniu »

Hi,

I noticed that on Linux make install doesn't install headers for standard plugins - is there any reason for this behaviour?

i.e. - if there is created package for some distribution, maintainer will almost for sure assume that all headers are installed and won't include them manually, this on other hand would mean that when someone use distribution package won't have them and would have to grab sources only to get those headers, and would have to find sources for exactly same version as maintainer used...

it would be cool if make install would install standard plugin headers (those that gets installed during make install as .so files) along with OgreMain headers in sub directory for example, that's somewhere like <OGRE/plugin_name/...> or at least into <OgrePlugins/...> or just anywhere related somehow to "<OGRE/..>"... it's true that maintainers can do that themselves, but some standard upstream place for them would be really nice and spare a lot of troubles :)

cheers,
Andrzej.
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

Well, the purpose of the plugins is in fact that the end programmer should not have to ever include those headers. You'll be wanting to use the interface Ogre exposes to you.

For those rare instances where you might want to be extending some plugin, you should simply get the plugin source/headers you are interested in.
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
Giniu
Halfling

Post by Giniu »

even in case of PlugIns that are included in main source tarbal? Especially I'm talking about PCZSceneManager plugin, I noticed this when I wasn't able to rebuild PCZTestApp without pointing to headers that were still in packaging environment...

I think that if plugin is included in sources and installed by default, headers should go in... I have nothing against other plugins that are optional and user have to install them separately - only those few installed with Ogre
Commander
Kobold

Post by Commander »

Installing plugin headers would make using classes like TerrainPageSource and TerrainPageSourceListener much easier. When you want to derive these classes, you have to include the headers that come with the plugin.

The need to statically link the OctreeSceneManager plugin with the application to use TerrainPageSource(Listener) is another issue, which could be solved though. I might send in some patches some day.