SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Xavyiy »

SkyX pretends to be a photorealistic, simple and fast sky simulator.

SkyX features:
  • Atmosphere manager(Atmosphere information, funtions that returns the sky colour at a especified direction, ...)
  • Sun, Moon and star field
  • Layer clouds
  • Full volumetric cloud system
  • Ground atmospheric light absorcion pass(Allows you to simulate the atmospheric light absorcion in scene objects)
  • HDR and LDR support
  • Shader Model 2.0 capable(HLSL for the moment)
  • Full integration with Hydrax 0.5.1 and code example(HydraxSkyXDemo: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52166)
  • 2 example applications: Terrain & Volumetric cloud system
Screenshots:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Download:
SkyX 0.1 Api+Demos sources + Api doc: http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/SkyX/SkyX-v0.1.rar - 17.4Mb
SkyX 0.1 precompiled demos http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/SkyX ... _Demos.rar - 6.4Mb

SkyX 0.2 preview thread:
http://ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=67137

Hope you like it!

Xavier Verguín
Last edited by Xavyiy on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:52 am, edited 12 times in total.
scratchyrice
Gnome

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview]

Post by scratchyrice »

Looks great! May switch to this system from caelum, Depending on how it turns out. I like the "HDR support" part of it.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Scratchy

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 3080 10GB, 16GB DDR3

Nargil
Greenskin

Post by Nargil »

Lets hope it won't be such an fps killer as hydrax ;-)
Looks promising. I like the clouds. I'd like the sky to be orange at sunset. At the moment it's rather yellow.
Hardcore libertarian, hardcore programmer.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
scratchyrice
Gnome

Post by scratchyrice »

Lets hope it won't be such an fps killes as hydrax
No offence, But that's like saying "Lets hope crysis wont be such an fps killer" - Of course it will be, But you get quality for the payment.

Cheers

Scratchy

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 3080 10GB, 16GB DDR3

Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@Nargil
FPS are about 115 on my 8600GT (laptot) ;)
Sunset colour depends of the atmosphere parameters(Inner radius, outer radius, camera height position, wavelenght coeficients, raileigh and mie multipliers, etc...)

Xavi
Nargil
Greenskin

Post by Nargil »

with HDR ? Even if without HDR - still not bad, I guess.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

A very basic HDR algoritm is applied to the scene: 1 - exp(-uExposure * Colour)
Nargil
Greenskin

Post by Nargil »

Good. You've got my blessing ;)
Is also this going to be a replacement for hdrlib (SkyX integrated HDR system) or is it just the sky, and setting hdr is up to the main application ?
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

Awesome Xavy, looking forward to it - especially knowing it comes from the same hand as Hydrax :)
Virion
Halfling

Post by Virion »

this is awesome! :D
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Awesome! Looks great so far :D
amigoface
Greenskin

Post by amigoface »

look fantastic as usual ... great work

are you planing to include a 3d cloud engine ?
if yes this is a nice implementation built with another lib
http://www.markmark.net/SkyWorks/

ciao :wink:
altren
Gnome

Post by altren »

I like this screenshots. Is it also possible to show some video of demo?
Earlier you used Caelum with Hydrax. Can you describe main difference between SkyX and Caelum and why you started writing your own skies.
xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

Wow, looks very good! Because you speak of the ability to look up sky pixel colours you may be interested in Sh´s: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47393

xad
Pyritie
Gnome

Post by Pyritie »

altren wrote:Earlier you used Caelum with Hydrax. Can you describe main difference between SkyX and Caelum and why you started writing your own skies.
I'm interested in knowing this too.
I use Mogre, BulletSharp, LuaNetInterface, irrKlang, and Miyagi! | Ponykart (Showcase)
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@Nargil
As the algoritm I'm using (From GPU gems 2) is designed for HDR rendering, I've implemented a very easy and simple solution, Two options: the first one is to use the simple 1 - exp(-exposure*color) ecuation in all SkyX options, and the second one is render the SkyX materials in HDR range and then the HDR to LDR conversion is done by the main application, using they own HDR approach. You can switch between options with SkyX::setAutoHDREnable(const bool& Enable).

@Nauk, Virion, Kencho
Thanks! :)

@amigoface
At the moment I haven't planed to include a 3D cloud engine.
Anyway I think SkyX cloud system is pretty realistic(I've done today some modifications, now the fake volumetric effect is really nice!:) )

@altren
I'll record a video and upload it during this week.
The main reason to start my own sky plugin, is the fact that one of my aims for the 'Paradise codename' benchmark project is to use only code write by me(Except Ogre, of course!) and... what's better: use a built-in sky system, or write a generic plugin that anybody who want can use? ;)
Differences: (just big differences)
- Atmospheric scattering algoritm
- Pixel shader requeriments(Caelum requires SM 3.0 for some components, SkyX is SM 2.0 capable)
- The cloud system(Both uses a layered-based system, but skyx clouds have basic volumetric effects using a modified kind of parallax mapping)
- Fog: SkyX simulates light absorcion using an aditional pass in objects using the same algoritm of the sky, when Calums uses a fog approach.
- HDR support(I don't know if caelum have this feature)
- Clock system: Calum have an awesome universal clock system, SkyX just have the sunrise, sunset and current time...
- Precipitation system, skyx haven't.
- Some minor features, like getting the colour of the sky in a direction simulating the GPU programs in the CPU, SkyX has, but I'm sure that caelum have a lot of features that skyx haven't, and probably it won't have.

@xadhoom
SH lighting is very easy to implement with SkyX, I think the SkyX::AtmosphereManager::getColourAt(const Ogre::Vector3& Direction) funtion is enough to get SH working :), I will look into this and maybe add it as a SkyX-core feature!

Thanks for opinions!

Xavi
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Your plan sounds really exciting, and now I'm curious about the changes to the fake volumetric clouds :D Can't wait to watch the video :)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

SH lighting is very easy to implement with SkyX, I think the SkyX::AtmosphereManager::getColourAt(const Ogre::Vector3& Direction) funtion is enough to get SH working :), I will look into this and maybe add it as a SkyX-core feature!
Yep, that should be enough for generating an SH of the sky. Does the getColourAt method take into account clouds and sun, or is it just the sky colour?
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Kojack wrote:Yep, that should be enough for generating an SH of the sky. Does the getColourAt method take into account clouds and sun, or is it just the sky colour?
At the moment it only takes into account sky and sun colour(Sun isn't billboard based, it's calculated in the sky shader), for clouds... maybe emulating the clouds gpu programs in the cpu for the needed pixel, but for the moment, only sky and sun colour :)
yehiyaml
Kobold

Post by yehiyaml »

Nice work.
I'd be interested to see how the fake volumetric effect turns out. Volumetric clouds have always interested me...
Yehiyam Livneh
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Oohh! Two at a time baby, yeah! :D

Well, your sun looks better for a start. :P And the clouds indeed look a little fluffier. Atmospheric scattering and HDR will be a big bonus. Promising stuff! :)

We have high expectations after your awesome Hydrax plugin. :twisted:

So will this paradise project be some kind of portfolio piece, or?
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@DanielSefton
At the moment the paradise project is just an idea in my mind, but I think SkyX will be ready in some months(2/3), and the it will be a good Hydrax test :), so... I feel happy about the current state of the 'Paradise' project, my idea is to have all the little plugins I'm going to use ready until the summer, and during the summer do the paradise benchmark/demo, anyway I'm going to need a good modeller/texturer that I haven't at the moment!

----------------------------------------------------------
Here is a video of the latest SkyX build, sorry about the over-exposure, but seems that the video conversion to mp4 have change a little the luminosity!
http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/SkyX ... wVideo.mp4

Xavi
xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

Xavyiy wrote:Here is a video of the latest SkyX build
Wow, looks very promising! Indeed! Are the clouds just one texture (its hard to see in the video) or do you multiply different layer?
The sun with its halo looks somehow realistic :P

Do you have to update the e.g. skydome position to stay around the camera every frame? This approach leads to some synchronising issues in Caelum when your camera is hanging somewhere under some SceneNodes which update their position/orientation.

xad

EDIT: If you want a perfect platform for testing SkyX then you can use Ogitor with its neat PlugIn interface ;-)
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, video added]

Post by AshMcConnell »

Looks great Xavi! Keep up the good work :)
trnrez
Greenskin

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, video added]

Post by trnrez »

Looks very good! Keep up the good work.
Image Image