Ogre Mascot?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Ogre Mascot?

Post by omniter »

Does anyone think Ogre could use a mascot of sorts? Or at least, a fully animated character model for the SDK, as opposed to just a giant head? If so, what should he look like? Here's one idea. I was bored and made this little sketch. I call him Sinbad, lol.

Klaim
Old One

Re: Ogre Mascot?

Post by Klaim »

Hmmm then he would have a DirectX and an OpenGL as weapons in his back? :D
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

omniter wrote:I call him Sinbad, lol.
:lol:
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Hmm, looks like the head does work pretty well on a larger body. Usually the head is much larger and slouched down.
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

I think the pic is pretty cool, although kind of close to TMNT. (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for those who don't know :wink: )
Creator of QuickGUI!
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

I think this would be much better than the one proposed earlier. The earlier proposal was, I think, made by a female, and surprise, the model had quite a feminine look... nothing wrong with having feminine aspects on it but it just didn't look good, as I think it didn't fit well together with the ogre head mesh we are all so used to see. I mean when you look at the Ogre3D head mesh, it looks aggressive, powerful, etc. But the body that was made look like its a lazy and fat ogre. It wouldn't do good for the project's image to use such a model widely.

So, if you can create a 3D model and texture it (and maybe even create animations for it), based on the sketch in the first post, go for it! It looks great.

By the way the sketch reminds me of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I loved a TMNT C-64 game).
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

Oh, KungFooMasta agrees with me about TMNT look :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

KungFooMasta wrote:kind of close to TMNT. (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for those who don't know :wink: )
Hah! I was thinking the same thing!
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

There's also this, of course: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28869 Not sure how finished it was but the youtube video is pretty cool :-)
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Here's a better sketch. Click for a bigger version. I didn't add the OpenGL/Direct3D symbols, because Ogre doesn't necessarily have to use those, even though it typically does. Besides, logos for Direct3D and OpenGL might change (the DirectX one changes all the time). I changed the colour of his bandana so he looks less like Raphael the TMNT. I made his swords similar to the ones in sinbad's avatar, and put an 'S' on his belt. If everyone's okay with this design, I could start modeling him in 3D soon. :D

reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

Go for it! Looks great!

I love the idea of using the swords from Sinbad's avatar :)
trnrez
Greenskin

Post by trnrez »

Looks pretty awesome to me. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Image Image
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by johnhpus »

If you're willing and able, once the model is finished, you should consider tossing in a run, jump and swing sword animation. I'm sure that someone would be happy to work him into a demo.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Haha, that's awesome. I wish I could draw like that :) And yeah, skip the DirectX and GL logos, they're trademarked anyway!

Thanks, it's very flattering to have some kind of weird hybrid of Ogre and my avatar drawn with such talent :)
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

Kick-ass! I think the new design is awesome-- Ogre3D could really use some new demo models.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

<rant>
reptor wrote:I think this would be much better than the one proposed earlier. The earlier proposal was, I think, made by a female, and surprise, the model had quite a feminine look... nothing wrong with having feminine aspects on it but it just didn't look good, as I think it didn't fit well together with the ogre head mesh we are all so used to see. I mean when you look at the Ogre3D head mesh, it looks aggressive, powerful, etc. But the body that was made look like its a lazy and fat ogre. It wouldn't do good for the project's image to use such a model widely.
Excuse me?

I've seen a lot of concept Ogre's over the years - and none of them came about.
Yet another concept is not going to make my pee boil from excitement, even if it's made by a talented sketch artist.

Almost every single one of those brave people who really tried to make an Ogre model was bombarded with opinions, more or less constructive critisism, and applaud.
Because we all love the idea of the head finding it's body.

The Dragonsnail Ogre is the only one I've seen become fully rigged and animated.
Kudos for that! :)

So, go model your own Ogre, Reptor, if you don't dig.

</rant>

Good looking sketch, Omniter. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

It seems nobody so far as come up with the most obvious body for the ogre head:

:)
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

HA!
A HA!
A HA HA!
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Kojack, you found the TMNT design too similar that you couldn't help but creating the Teenage Mutant Ninja Ogre XDDD That was a nice one (we could even start the animated series!). I laughed too loud, hahaha.

[edit] Kojack's design is freaking awesome XD Not useful for demoing the engine, but that made my day [/edit]

On the Ogre model debate, Jacmoe, I agree partially with you. But you must understand the will of every artist stepping ahead of wanting their opinion from the comunity. They'll implement a design, but that design must be wanted by as much people as possible; people that isn't often granted with enought artistic skill to express their own ideas. So criticism is a delicate thing here, I guess :)

Omniter, the design has great ideas IMHO. Using Sinbad swords is a must now that you've proposed here :)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Kojack, you found the TMNT design too similar that you couldn't help but creating the Teenage Mutant Ninja Ogre
Actually until now I didn't even think of the tmnt connection to my pic. :)

The goatees in the pics are definitely a required feature for a programmer's mascot. :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Wow, you're an awesome artist! :D
rafa.gdev
Halfling

Post by rafa.gdev »

Really nice! I'm also willing to see it modeled and animated :wink:
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I've started working on the 3D model. I've only just begun working on the head, but just wanted to give you guys a general idea of what it's going to look like.

I started from scratch, because Sinbad's head looks quite different from the SDK ogrehead. A comparison is below. On the left is the ogrehead mesh from the Cel-shading Sample. In the middle is my sketch of Sinbad.

I will add more polies to smooth him out, but in the end, Sinbad will be a lot more low-poly than the ogrehead... most likely World of Warcraft level of detail or a little higher.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Looks already really good (the scetch as well as the model). But, I would not make him to low-poly, as it will mainly be used as a sample model, so it may be quite high-poly (or better medium-poly) to really look good.

Keep up the good work!
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Seconded. I would aim for mid-poly with normal maps to get a "high-poly" version and demonstrate shaders usage.