SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
- Xavyiy
- OGRE Expert User

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
- Location: Albacete - Spain
- x 87
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, video added]
@xadhoom
In the video just one cloud layer is render, my aim with cloud layers is to get fast and good looking clouds, maybe in a furter future I'll add a little true volumetric clouds to SkyX, but not for now... I've to change a lot of things(At really, almost all!), and... university, practices, exams, friends, girlfriend, etc... spends almost all my free time!
About the camera question, only a main camera is passed to SkyX constructor, and the skydome is moved as needed. I've to add multiple camera easy support and look into possibilities to avoid these synchronising issues.
Xavi
In the video just one cloud layer is render, my aim with cloud layers is to get fast and good looking clouds, maybe in a furter future I'll add a little true volumetric clouds to SkyX, but not for now... I've to change a lot of things(At really, almost all!), and... university, practices, exams, friends, girlfriend, etc... spends almost all my free time!
About the camera question, only a main camera is passed to SkyX constructor, and the skydome is moved as needed. I've to add multiple camera easy support and look into possibilities to avoid these synchronising issues.
Xavi
Creator of SkyX, Hydrax and Paradise Sandbox.
Looking for Ogre3D consulting services?
Follow me: @Xavyiy
Looking for Ogre3D consulting services?
Follow me: @Xavyiy
- Xavyiy
- OGRE Expert User

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
- Location: Albacete - Spain
- x 87
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, video added]
I've been playing tonight with the environment, and here're some screenshots!






Hope you like it!
Xavi






Hope you like it!
Xavi
Creator of SkyX, Hydrax and Paradise Sandbox.
Looking for Ogre3D consulting services?
Follow me: @Xavyiy
Looking for Ogre3D consulting services?
Follow me: @Xavyiy
-
Cutter
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:54 pm
- Location: Germany, Unna
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
I do!Hope you like it!
Is it possible to see your clouds from above? I don`t want real volumetric clouds, just a simple effect for the extreme zoom level in a RTS game.
Perhaps you have seen Anno 1701, they did it very nice. http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screensho ... andard.jpg HDR is a bit exhilarated in this screen, looks much more realistic here on my machine.
- Pyritie
- Gnome
- Posts: 363
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:15 pm
- Location: UK
- x 8
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Oh my GOD that's pretty.
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Awesome is a bit tame,all considering, but that's all I can think of!
Just totally, beautifully awesome!
Just totally, beautifully awesome!
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- Nauk
- Gnoll
- Posts: 653
- Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 9:12 pm
- Location: Bavaria
- x 36
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Totally incredible, muy rico 
ARTIFEX TERRA 3D - Artist-friendly, free and easy WYSIWYG realtime outdoor scene Editor & Painter
New loader now with Ogre::Terrain support: Addons for Artifex on SourceForge
MOC - Minimal Ogre Collision & Mousepicking
Simple TerrainMaterialGenerator for the use of standard Ogre material with Ogre::Terrain
Support me on Patreon
- KungFooMasta
- OGRE Contributor

- Posts: 2087
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:11 am
- Location: WA, USA
- x 16
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Now we just need GroundX, and everybody will have amazing scenes. 
Creator of QuickGUI!
- stealth977
- Gnoll
- Posts: 638
- Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:14 pm
- Location: Istanbul, Turkey
- x 42
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Dont forget the DiggerX if you create a GroundX, since everybody is asking about digging holes nowadaysKungFooMasta wrote:Now we just need GroundX, and everybody will have amazing scenes.
Ismail TARIM
Ogitor - Ogre Scene Editor
WWW:http://www.ogitor.org
Repository: https://bitbucket.org/ogitor
Ogitor - Ogre Scene Editor
WWW:http://www.ogitor.org
Repository: https://bitbucket.org/ogitor
- Xavyiy
- OGRE Expert User

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
- Location: Albacete - Spain
- x 87
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Hi all!
I'm sorry about my desaparition these last weeks, unafortunately my final exams date is each day closer.. so, I spend my little free time in programming and going out with friends, I haven't much time to read the forum
!
Anyway.. even the little free time that I've, I'm working on a full volumetric cloud engine for SkyX using the "A Simple, Efficient Method
for Realistic Animation of Clouds"(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3 ... 1#Fulltext) paper, you can see here a little video of the results in the original implementation: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3954925559
My idea is to release SkyX during this summer and work on a new Hydrax version with some new features
Xavier Verguín
I'm sorry about my desaparition these last weeks, unafortunately my final exams date is each day closer.. so, I spend my little free time in programming and going out with friends, I haven't much time to read the forum
Anyway.. even the little free time that I've, I'm working on a full volumetric cloud engine for SkyX using the "A Simple, Efficient Method
for Realistic Animation of Clouds"(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3 ... 1#Fulltext) paper, you can see here a little video of the results in the original implementation: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3954925559
My idea is to release SkyX during this summer and work on a new Hydrax version with some new features
Xavier Verguín
Creator of SkyX, Hydrax and Paradise Sandbox.
Looking for Ogre3D consulting services?
Follow me: @Xavyiy
Looking for Ogre3D consulting services?
Follow me: @Xavyiy
- calsmurf2904
- Orc
- Posts: 401
- Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:39 pm
- Location: Netherlands
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
you should combine Hydrax and SkyX and call it NatureX
That way you have everything you need right in one package.
That way you have everything you need right in one package.
Visit my blog at http://calsmurf2904.wordpress.com !
Got a Google Wave account? Add me as contact! (projectxgame <at> gmail <dot> com)

Got a Google Wave account? Add me as contact! (projectxgame <at> gmail <dot> com)

- Nargil
- Greenskin
- Posts: 124
- Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:47 pm
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Yeah and implement a function:
void NatureX::CreateReallyCoolGame();
void NatureX::CreateReallyCoolGame();
Hardcore libertarian, hardcore programmer.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
-
Penguin
- Halfling
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:39 pm
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Would it be possible to combine this with caelum? There are some features I like about SkyX, and some I like about Caelum. If you use that cloud system, I'd want to use that.
- DanielSefton
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1235
- Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:36 am
- Location: Mountain View, CA
- x 10
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Goodness me! If you create anything close to what those clouds in that video look like, I'd be speechless. 

Caelum is a mature library. SkyX is still in early stages. Obviously there are more features in Caelum at the moment. I doubt he'd want to combine them, that would defeat the purpose of creating his own sky library...Penguin wrote:Would it be possible to combine this with caelum? There are some features I like about SkyX, and some I like about Caelum. If you use that cloud system, I'd want to use that.
That's the disadvantage with all these awesome libraries. It has become so easy for everyone to create a visually stunning game, with no work on their behalf, and I can imagine everyone's games are going to end up looking the same. Soon we're going to be flooded with people going "i hav maiek a MMOROORPGHH wit cris1s vizualz l000k!!!!1111oneone"void NatureX::CreateReallyCoolGame();
- trilobite
- Silver Sponsor

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:16 pm
- Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA
- x 1
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Xavyiy wrote
You know, whenever very smart people use the word, "simple", it usually isn't. Especially with complex phenomena like clouds and light scattering, the only simple part is staring in awe as the beauty unfolds.
This is stunning work of the highest professional caliber. I eagerly await the opportunity to incorporate this fine contribution into my project.
A Simple, Efficient Method for Realistic Animation of Clouds
Code: Select all
Then Eq. 3 is calculated by
the following equation.
a[i][j][k][ti+1] = ¬a[i][j][k][ti ] ∧ h[i][j][k][ti] ∧
(a_left1[i][j][k] ∨ a_left2[i][j][k] ∨ a_right1[i][j][k] ∨
a_right2[i][j][k] ∨ a[i][j+1][k][ti] ∨ a[i][j+2][k][ti] ∨
a[i][j-1][k][ti] ∨ a[i][j-2][k][ti] ∨ a[i][j][k+1][ti] ∨
a[i][j][k-1][ti] ∨ a[i][j][k-2][ti]), (A.3)
(i=0, …, s; j=0, …, ny; k=0, …, nz).
PROCEDURE DisplayImage()
Place the camera at the sun position.
Set the parallel projection.
Clear screen with RGBA = (1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0).
ShadeClouds()
Place the camera at the viewpoint.
Set the perspective projection.
Clear screen with background color.
RenderObject() /* Rendering objects except clouds */
RenderClouds()
END PROCEDURE
PROCEDURE ShadeClouds()
Sort metaballs in ascending order from the sun.
glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST)
glBlendFunc(GL_ZERO, GL_SRC_ALPHA)
glEnable(GL_BLEND)
FOR k = each metaball DO
Place the billboard at the center of metaball k.
Rotate the billboard so that its normal is oriented to the sun.
Set the billboard color as RGBA = (1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0).
Map the billboard texture with GL_MODULATE.
Render the billboard.
Read the pixel value corresponding to the center of metaball k.
Multiply the pixel value by the sunlight color.
Store the color into an array C[k] as the color of the billboard.
END FOR
Store the image (T) in the frame buffer as a light map texture.
END PROCEDURE
PROCEDURE RenderClouds()
Sort metaballs in descending order from the viewpoint.
Store distances between metaballls and the viewpoint in an array
D.
glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST)
glEnable(GL_BLEND)
k = number of shells
WHILE D[0] < distance to shell k DO
RenderShell( k )
k = k – 1
END WHILE
glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_SRC_ALPHA)
FOR n = each metaball DO
IF D[n] < distance to shell k DO
Render shell(k)
k = k – 1
glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_SRC_ALPHA)
END IF
Place the billboard at the center of the corresponding metaball n.
Rotate the billboard so that its normal is oriented to the
viewpoint.
Set the billboard color as C[n].
Map the billboard texture.
Render the billboard with the blending function.
END FOR
WHILE k > 0 DO
RenderShell(k)
k = k – 1
END WHILE
END PROCEDURE
PROCEDURE RenderShell(k)
Calculate colors of vertices of shell k.
Map the light map texture T with GL_MODULATE.
Render shell k.
glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE)
END PROCEDURE
This is stunning work of the highest professional caliber. I eagerly await the opportunity to incorporate this fine contribution into my project.
- DanielSefton
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1235
- Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:36 am
- Location: Mountain View, CA
- x 10
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Haha. Couldn't agree more. If I remember correctly, even sinbad said "they can be a total bitch".trilobite wrote:You know, whenever very smart people use the word, "simple", it usually isn't. Especially with complex phenomena like clouds and light scattering, the only simple part is staring in awe as the beauty unfolds.
Volumetric clouds was Ysaneya's first endeavor for his Infinity Universe, and, he's a legend... But, so is Xavyiy, so we've got nothing to worry about.
- Xplodwild
- Goblin
- Posts: 231
- Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:49 pm
- Location: France
- x 13
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
As I said in the volumetric light topic, it would be great if it's OpenGL compatible (GLSL or Cg)
. (Cross-platform games are great).
- xadhoom
- Minaton
- Posts: 973
- Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:35 pm
- Location: Germany
- x 1
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Ok, the video looks amazing. I´m eager to see something similar in SkyX! But first of all:
Good luck with your exams xavyiy!
Good luck with your exams xavyiy!
-
mdc
- Kobold
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:18 pm
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Another legendary contribution Xavyiy.
-
dudeabot
- Gnome
- Posts: 334
- Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:12 pm
- Location: Brazil
- x 5
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
if you can put the option to use the clouds you were using on the first screenshots, they are simple and beatiful
( sure if its worth
)
-
Penguin
- Halfling
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:39 pm
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
No, not combine the libraries, I want to load both of them into my game, and use certain parts of each.DanielSefton wrote:Caelum is a mature library. SkyX is still in early stages. Obviously there are more features in Caelum at the moment. I doubt he'd want to combine them, that would defeat the purpose of creating his own sky library...Penguin wrote:Would it be possible to combine this with caelum? There are some features I like about SkyX, and some I like about Caelum. If you use that cloud system, I'd want to use that.
- Xavyiy
- OGRE Expert User

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
- Location: Albacete - Spain
- x 87
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Little update, volumetric clouds development:


-------
@Penguin
I think it's not viable to use the two plugins at the same time, but maybe if the skyx volumetric cloud system have success I can create a specify cloud system( CloudsX ?
) that could be integrate with any sky plugin or static skybox.
@dudeabot
Of course layered clouds are going to be available too
And thanks to all for the opinions
Xavi


-------
@Penguin
I think it's not viable to use the two plugins at the same time, but maybe if the skyx volumetric cloud system have success I can create a specify cloud system( CloudsX ?
@dudeabot
Of course layered clouds are going to be available too
And thanks to all for the opinions
Xavi
Creator of SkyX, Hydrax and Paradise Sandbox.
Looking for Ogre3D consulting services?
Follow me: @Xavyiy
Looking for Ogre3D consulting services?
Follow me: @Xavyiy
- Kencho
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 4011
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
- Location: Burgos, Spain
- x 2
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
They are beautiful!
PS: I wouldn't pick CloudsX as a name. Reason? The english pronounciation
PS: I wouldn't pick CloudsX as a name. Reason? The english pronounciation
- steven
- Gnoll
- Posts: 657
- Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Australia - Canberra (ex - Switzerland - Geneva)
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Beautiful
Your next release will be implemented in OGE
Your next release will be implemented in OGE
- xadhoom
- Minaton
- Posts: 973
- Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:35 pm
- Location: Germany
- x 1
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Wow, especially the first cloud looks very detail rich. Will they have some kind of turbulence animation?
xad
xad
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]
Kencho wrote:PS: I wouldn't pick CloudsX as a name. Reason? The english pronounciation
It does, however, describe close enough how the SkyX screenshots makes me feel: heavenly awesome!
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
