RFC: 3D glasses

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Post Reply
User avatar
Calder
Greenskin
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:04 pm
x 3

RFC: 3D glasses

Post by Calder »

The other day, I was thinking about cool places you could go with games-of-the-future, and I had an idea. Now it might be incredibly stupid, which is why I labeled this a RFC thread, so don't be afraid to say so if it is. ;-) I was kinda wondering why those goggles that have a screen in each eye and project a 3D world for you haven't caught on yet, but that got me to thinking about an even more basic way of doing 3D stuff, one that's been around almost forever on a technological timescale: those red-blue 3D goggles. So the question is, is whatever they use to generate those images doable on a 60-times-per-second-ish-basis, or does that take a lot of calculations. My gut instinct tells me you could just render the scene twice from two slightly different perspectives, shade on blue, one red, and then overlay them both with 50% opacity. But that is based on no fact whatsoever, so I'd like to know how doable this would actually be. And more importantly, if it is doable, what would the OGRE team think of implementing it? Wouldn't it be cool to have an Open-Source graphics engine provide the first, (to my knowledge), truly 3D games? Ok, I'm rambling, I'll stop now. ;-)

-Calder
User avatar
AntonTheManton
Greenskin
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:47 am

Re: RFC: 3D glasses

Post by AntonTheManton »

ogre already does that
User avatar
Calder
Greenskin
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:04 pm
x 3

Re: RFC: 3D glasses

Post by Calder »

No f-ing way! How?!? That is, as they say, "incredibly awesome"! :D

EDIT: Nevermind, found this: https://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32284
Vectrex
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:53 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
x 1
Contact:

Re: RFC: 3D glasses

Post by Vectrex »

not to mention you can install the iz3d driver and play ALL games in red/blue (or true polarised if you can afford 2 projectors!). The nvidia drivers supposedly do red/blue as well, but the iz3d ones work great.
anlumo
Gnoblar
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:55 am

Re: RFC: 3D glasses

Post by anlumo »

The reason head-mounted displays haven't caught on yet is that your eyes hurt after about 30mins of usage. That's fine for a tech demo, but wouldn't fly for consumers.
The reason for this is that those displays are at a distance of maybe 2-3cm from your eyes, which puts a great strain on them when focussing.
Post Reply