The Duke is dead

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

The Duke is dead

Post by SpannerMan »

xadhoom
Minaton

Re: The Duke is dead

Post by xadhoom »

Maybe someone else will take the challenge and buy the rights... IMHO the brand still has some worth.

Man, I "waited" 12 years now. Maybe I´m getting too old for that. :wink:

xad
MartinBean
Gnome

Post by MartinBean »

This is good!

If they actually released the game it would have been a bummer... we all waited so long, no game can ever live up to the expectations after 12 years of waiting.
I have not failed... I've just found many ways that wont work
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

What's really scary is the story Charlie Wiederhold released yesterday.
He's a former DNF developer, main DNF community contact, the guy who got Duke Nukem 3D source code released to the public, and also worked at Ritual (Sin and Fakk2) and Gearbox.

http://gamingisstupid.com/2009/05/06/th ... y-revival/
If that story is real... I'm still a bit shocked. As a developer in this industry, I'm disgusted with the mafia like violent extortion Cliffy B, Tim Sweeny, Mike Wilson, Mark Rein, Scott Miller and George Broussard consider as how real business is done.

I'm really hoping it's a fake story.
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

Oh no :shock:

that's bad...

Unfortunately the article stops short. Did he sign or did he not sign.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Well, he said "so at that point I did what anyone would do…".
I'm guessing most people would say "yes, of course I'll sign the contract without getting a lawyer! Please don't stab my eye out!"
In my case I would have followed that up a few days later with visiting each of their houses armed with a baseball bat, but Charlie instead worked for them for 8 years. Each to his own I guess.

Still seems rather unbelievable, but stranger things have happened.

Anyway, Riddick could kick Duke's ass. :)
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

What would be great : that's all a marketing move.

Credible? Possible?
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

As some people have pointed out, the bit at the top of Charlie's page:
This is a story I wrote on another site in response to someone wanting me to elaborate more on a “chair story” I had referred to that happened during my time at 3DR.
(the bolding of the word story was on the site)
makes it sound like it's just a story he made up.
WTF? Who writes a fictional story like that about their previous employers and co-workers then releases it on the internet as the company closes?
But that first bit doesn't clearly say it's fictional. If it is, he's an idiot for posting it now without clearly stating it's not true.
All very strange.

Anyway... here's a list of things which have taken place during the development of DNF or took less time than DNF: http://duke.a-13.net
Some highlights:
- The Beatles formed, released every single one of their albums and broke up. During this time they also toured the world several times.
- The United States' entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy's challenge to the landing.
- Britney Spears' entire musical career as a pop star has taken place during Duke Nukem Forever's development.
- every Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly episode. (Oh, and the movie Serenity.)
- Ten Duke Nukem games other than DNF have been released:
* Duke Nukem 64 (Nintendo 64 - October 1997)
* Duke Nukem: Time to Kill (PlayStation 1 - 1998)
* Duke Nukem: Zero Hour (Nintendo 64, - 1999)
* Duke Nukem (Game Boy Color - 1999)
* Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes (PlayStation 1 - 2000)
* Duke Nukem: Advance (Game Boy Advance - 2002)
* Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project (PC - 2002)
* Duke Nukem Mobile (Sidescroller): (Mobile Phones - 2004)
* Duke Nukem Mobile (3D): (Tapwave Zodiac - 2004, Mobile Phones - 2005)
* Duke Nukem Mobile II: Bikini Project (Mobile Phones - 2005)
_tommo_
Gnoll

Post by _tommo_ »

I think that now it can actually come out :lol:

Let's face it, the biggest problem about DNF was 3Drealms, that shown more and more times its incapability to ship games...
Prey was developed for 7(!) years before to be picked up from scratch by someone other.

Probabily now TakeTwo will finish the game with an internal studio less than a year or something more, depending on how they left the works...
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Probabily now TakeTwo will finish the game with an internal studio less than a year or something more, depending on how they left the works...
From what I've been reading, Take Two only has the rights to publish the game if somebody finishes it. They don't own the ip.

To me, the whole Duke thing is a bit embarrassing these days. The character, the storyline, the toilet humor... I mean I'm a Beavis & Butthead fan, but even I find Duke too juvenile these days.
I'm just glad that Prey managed to escape from the curse of 3DR and actually become a real game.

Although I still think the Build engine is awesome! Yay for Ken Silverman, king of old school engine coding!
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Ok, looks like that whole Charlie crap was fake. From the way back machine it was first published in 2007, and one of Charlie's replies to a comment about it was: "it’s very much a story. :)".
Seems it was some kind of strange fanfiction about his previous co-workers.
Lizard
Halfling

Post by Lizard »

Kojack wrote:Ok, looks like that whole Charlie crap was fake. From the way back machine it was first published in 2007, and one of Charlie's replies to a comment about it was: "it’s very much a story. :)".
Seems it was some kind of strange fanfiction about his previous co-workers.

the story I heard was that it was written as a bit of a joke in response to all the fan generated conspiracy theories regarding the development of the game and why it was taking so long.

gotta say I have no idea why everyone was so hyped about DNF in the first place.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

The same hype for new version of games from the time we were teenagers I guess.

I was a lot more interested by Half Life 2 than DNF as Half Life was one of my big slap in the face of all time.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

I just hope I like FEAR 2 as much as I liked FEAR, although I am prepared to be disappointed if they stuck with that stupid "auto-regenerating health" crap that they talked about before they got the name back...I mean really, part of the fun of it was managing health levels, knowing that it was a finite resource (one of the things I liked in DN3D btw, to keep it on topic ;)).
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

The problem with Fear 2 is that it's not as scary as Fear. Alma is no longer scary, both because we've seen it all before (almost every scare became predictable) and because of the changes they made to her.
It also uses checkpoint saves, and even tells you to not turn your computer off while saving. Since saves are when you walk over a trigger area, how many pc gamers turn off their pc while holding the walk forwards key?
AI wasn't as good. There's way more health around than you need. I got maybe a third of the way through the game without needing to heal (always enough body armour lying around). The first time they did actually hurt me was due to a scripted bit where they mess up your vision and spawn 3 enemy soldiers behind you. They depleted my armour and took 5% of my health before I could kill them, but there was a med kit on the table next to me.

But the combat was ok, the levels looked good, and there was a kind of surreal feeling to having a gunfire in a primary school (how the hell did that level make it past the censors? It was even in the demo! The german government has just banned paintball because it might train people for school shootings).

So it was a good game, but not as cool as the first.

There's a Wii game set in the house from Ju-on The Grudge on the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5dhvn5EBk0
That looks creepy.

I don't know why anybody would still be hyped by Duke after around 2004, by that time it was 3 years since the 2001 trailer (which really looked cool) and everyone was starting to realise that there must be something seriously wrong if it still isn't out.

My original hype for DNF was because Duke3D was the best 3d engine of the time, and I got into build engine level creating which was far more fun than the doom editors. But up until the 2001 trailer I was far more interested in Prey, at least partly because they kept talking about how awesome the in game editor was.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Kojack wrote:The problem with Fear 2 is that it's not as scary as Fear. Alma is no longer scary, both because we've seen it all before (almost every scare became predictable) and because of the changes they made to her.
Alma never was the main fear factor (snicker) for me -- it was the stuff like the invisble monkey-men that would come out of nowhere and smack you for 40% health at a time, and the various disjointed fugues and other cinematics at odd times that made my skin crawl.
It also uses checkpoint saves, and even tells you to not turn your computer off while saving. Since saves are when you walk over a trigger area, how many pc gamers turn off their pc while holding the walk forwards key?
Casualty of the console generation. ;)
AI wasn't as good. There's way more health around than you need.
Hmm. I didn't think the AI was that good the first time around, and it sounds like they addressed the complaints about the regenerative health by putting in more medpacks (why don't they just run a film of the game for you and you can sit back and watch? Sounds like that's what all the whiners wanted...)

Thanks for the info! :)
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

http://www.golem.de/0905/67010.html

Its a german news site talking about that the blog was just a fake and presents a video of DNF ingame scenes which makes me feel sad that DNF was never published... :roll:

xad
kraj0t
Halfling

Post by kraj0t »

Kojack wrote:What's really scary is the story Charlie Wiederhold released yesterday.
WTF, my heart's still beating fast, even after knowing it was just an invention!

Phew, this is not the first time I get totally shocked reading something on the internet, then discover it's all made-up. It must be admitted that Charlie did a nice job of creating controversy, even though he pretends it wasn't his intention :wink: hehe

About Duke's death... Dunno, as the spanish saying goes, "mala hierba nunca muere" ^__^ He'll be back for sure
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

Bah :)
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

Here's some "good" news for you, the domain "saveduke.com" was registered the day before 3drealms announced that they had failed.
And not only that, but the domain was registered anonymously.

It's either a Viral campaign or a security conscious fan who can't bare to let Duke die. Let's hope it's the first :D
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

Or an insider (ex-employee) who knew and wanted to make sure to get recognition so he could get rehired somewhere from all the hype (but still wanted to remain anonymous). Domains by proxy is more common now than people think.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

Jerky wrote:Or an insider (ex-employee) who knew and wanted to make sure to get recognition so he could get rehired somewhere from all the hype (but still wanted to remain anonymous). Domains by proxy is more common now than people think.
Well since Take-Two are trying to sue 3drealms (at least, I think. It's kinda hard to tell what's going on). I doubt it was a hoax anymore.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I think it's sad..

I loved Duke3D back in the day - and I'd love to see this game. (as everyone else).

The humour might be juvenile, but I dig it. :wink:
(Well, yeah: it can be too much, but..)

I am just so tired of pompous over-serious shooters - where's the bad ass humour? I want some! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

At least it will generate a lot of interesting fan/non-fan content : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6119.0

That is kind of awesome.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Wow, yes.
A Duke3D remake in Ogre sounds like a good idea! :mrgreen:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.