Parsing of .material script

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
jblecanard
Gnoblar

Re: Parsing of .material script

Post by jblecanard »

Let's do this env variables share on private messages, no need to show them on this post (for the moment) ;)
sparkprime
Ogre Magi

Post by sparkprime »

what I do is to set LANG=en_GB.UTF-8

You can run the cmdline program 'locale' to see the current state of things.

LC_ALL takes priority over LC_NUMERIC which takes priority over LANG. So if you had LC_ALL or LC_NUMERIC defined already then LANG wouldn't change the handling of decimal points.

It's also possible that you didn't use a capital 'C' .

If you want to leave everything else in your native locale, you can just export LC_NUMERIC instead of LC_ALL or LANG.

But yes, in the long term, OGRE should parse materials in a local-independent manner. I think what sinbad suggested is the right thing to do. You could even have the user put the intended locale in the material script if you wanted to be overly supportive :)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

jblecanard wrote:You're absolutely right, and my opinion is that parsers should use a dedicated function, because parsing a file is a lot more complex (in theory)
No, a dedicated function would be unnecessary code duplication. Parsing a number from a script or from anywhere else is the same, the only possible variant is whether to be locale-specific or not, which my proposed solution addresses without requiring a new method. The only issue is that it since StringConverter is stateless it becomes awkward to use. I may just make StringConverter instantiable (and therefore thread-local) so that a locale can be set persistently for a series of conversions.

This isn't a hard change, it's just a fairly extensive one. I'll log it for now.
jblecanard
Gnoblar

Post by jblecanard »

sinbad wrote:
jblecanard wrote:You're absolutely right, and my opinion is that parsers should use a dedicated function, because parsing a file is a lot more complex (in theory)
No, a dedicated function would be unnecessary code duplication. Parsing a number from a script or from anywhere else is the same, the only possible variant is whether to be locale-specific or not, which my proposed solution addresses without requiring a new method. The only issue is that it since StringConverter is stateless it becomes awkward to use. I may just make StringConverter instantiable (and therefore thread-local) so that a locale can be set persistently for a series of conversions.

I agree with you. What I meant is in fact what you suggested. I'll try sparkprime suggestions about LC_* env variables.
jblecanard
Gnoblar

Post by jblecanard »

Re

I found the right configurations for making things allright. By using this environment values :

LC_NUMERIC=C
LC_LOCAL=C
LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=C
LANGUAGE=fr_FR.UTF-8

An by making sure the "LC_ALL" variable is not set, everything is ok. The internationalization is ok and the .material scripts are parsed with a dot. May I add a note about this issue in the wiki ?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Absolutely, practical tips like this are exactly what it's for :) Thanks.
jblecanard
Gnoblar

Post by jblecanard »

I added an entry right here. Hope I've done this well.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Trés bien! To the point. Thanks. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
akira215
Gnoblar

Post by akira215 »

Hello everybody,

Although this topic was opened a long time ago, I want to add my experience on that :
Using Ogre 1.9.0, the material script are still parsed with some locales issues on Linux. I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, with standard installation fr_FR, the parsing is done with comma instead of dots.
So to help french people :mrgreen: in this case you just have to change the LC_NUMERIC by editing the file /usr/share/i18n/locales/fr_FR. Basically, you just have to change the decimal_point from "<U002C>" to "<U002E>". After saving the file, type sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales and all should work great (i.e. script parsed with dot).