SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Post Reply
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 2]

Post by Xavyiy »

Here are two new screenshots that show layered clouds combined with volumetric clouds. At the moment the volumetric cloud system needs a lot of work, I haven't implemented advanced light effects on clouds and the whole system needs a lot of performance enhances, but I like current results :)

Image
Image

@Kencho & jacmoe
Me and my English... :D
If CloudsX sounds odd, maybe it would be WheaterX, CloudX, or.. anythingX! :)

@steven
Hear things like this give me the energy to spend more time developing SkyX, thanks!

@xadhoom
The rendering system gets the density and light absorcion factors from a 3D texture for each space point, and then it's combined with a perlin noise detail texture to obtain realistic details. Detail texture and data texture are moved in the wind direction so.. the effect is quite relistic :)

Xavi
User avatar
Zach Griffin
Halfling
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Zach Griffin »

Looking great Xavi! Really looking forward to seeing it with the improved lighting. The scattering should give a lot more depth to them. I think it will definitely be an addition to KartSim.

http://ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39101
MartinBean
Gnome
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by MartinBean »

Not put any pressure on you, Xavyiy, but I think a lot of people are waiting for a first release ;)

Looks really great, can't wait to run a demo of this :D
I have not failed... I've just found many ways that wont work
Crazy_Yellow_Rabbit
Gnoblar
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Paris, FRANCE

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Crazy_Yellow_Rabbit »

Xavyiy> nice work, do you think you will release anything to test next month ?
i am not crazy, no, no,no i'm not !!!
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Xavyiy »

Hi all,
I think I'm going to release the first demo in July/August, at the moment I'm having my final exams and I've to do a work for the university(using java/jmonkey, a 3d file explorer) before one month, so.. I haven't time for Hydrax/SkyX :(
Anyway I'm going to work hard on Hydrax 0.6 and SkyX during the summer :), I hope to release the first public SkyX version for August and Hydrax 0.6 about September/October.

Xavi

P.D.: Sorry about my disappearance these weeks, but I really haven't time for nothing!
compvis
Gremlin
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:14 am

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by compvis »

SkyX just released :D
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Xavyiy »

I will continue the SkyX development these days, I will keep you informed! :)
User avatar
boyamer
Orc
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Italy
x 6

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by boyamer »

We've missed you Xavyiy,can wait to try out SkyX and Hydrax together :)
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Xavyiy »

Unfortunately the development of volumetric clouds will take more time than I initially thought...

In the two approaches I've implemented, fps is about 40, something not aceptable for me.(My idea is to get constant 80 fps on my 8600gt).
I'm going to implement a third geometry approach, the approach that Simul Cloud guys uses in their clouds(http://www.simul.co.uk/weather) demo, but their geometry approach is not as simple as it seem to be(simply some concentrical semispheres? no.. there're a lot of more in the background..).

I've my last 08/09 year exam on 15 June, so.. until this date, I'm going to work only on the cloud light scattering shaders, because I don't want to spend a lot of time with the geometry approach.. I'll do it after the exam :)

Xavi
compvis
Gremlin
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:14 am

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by compvis »

@Xavyiy: Do your best to make SkyX the most well-known !
User avatar
steven
Gnoll
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Australia - Canberra (ex - Switzerland - Geneva)
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by steven »

Can you make customisable fallbacks for lower machines? They would give less good results but ensure high fps on less powerful graphic card.

Why not make a first release and work on the volumetric clouds in a second version?
We could test and give you better infos.

Will you merge SkyX and Hydrax or leave them separate?
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Xavyiy »

@steven
I'm trying to make SkyX very customisable, anyway it's going to be fast for any 2.0 shader model gpu :)
At the moment I don't know if I'm going to do a first release without volumetric clouds and a second one with vol. clouds, anyway the first release is going to be in August.
I'm no going to merge SkyX and Hydrax, but they're going to be "plug and play", full compatible.

Here are two new screenshots:
Image
Image

Xavi
User avatar
boyamer
Orc
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Italy
x 6

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by boyamer »

Could you release a demo? :)
User avatar
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Burgos, Spain
x 2
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Kencho »

The truth is the images are between greater and greatest! :D
Image
User avatar
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1235
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Mountain View, CA
x 10
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by DanielSefton »

:shock: Where is Xavyiy's expert user badge? This is an outrage! :evil:
User avatar
Kentamanos
Minaton
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:08 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Kentamanos »

Impressive as always Xavyiy! :)
User avatar
rafa.gdev
Halfling
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:10 pm
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by rafa.gdev »

:shock: Where is Xavyiy's expert user badge? This is an outrage! :evil:
hahaha agreed.
Awesome tool Xavyi! I'm willing to see this in action! :D
compvis
Gremlin
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:14 am

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by compvis »

Awesome, Xavyiy ! The sun moves ???
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Xavyiy »

Hi all!,
At first, thanks to everybody for opinions, and specially thanks to DanielSefton, details like this give me the energy to continue developing Ogre3D materials :)

About SkyX, this is the Roadmap:

Code: Select all

Version 0.1: (First public version, only for testing)
- New volumetric cloud geometry approach
- Add more options to layered clouds

Version 0.2:
- Storm lighting support(see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzA8W2MCnm4 !)
- Soft edges for volumetric clouds(Like soft particles rendering method)
- Correct sun/moon position depending of the given date and location
- Full hydrax integration support(plug and play!) 
About dates, when the roadmap tasks will be finished!

Just for curious people, I'll explain a little the volumetric cloud rendering approach:
At first, each some seconds a new volumetric data update is performed in the CPU and uploaded to two 3D textures, one contains the current volumetric data and the other one the next vol data. After that, we do a time lineal interpolation between these two textures in the GPU to obtain a smooth transition without CPU charge.
But.. the interest resides in the geometry approach:
At the moment, a I've implemented a very poor geometry system, based on concentrical semispheres, which needs a high batch count(25 in above screenshots), a big number of vertices and.. visual quality results aren't goods.
But.. don't worry, I better solution is in development(Or.. it'll be after my last exam :) ).
The new approach divides the geometry in "blocks", in order to decrease the batch count and vertices number, each bock contains 3 sub-blocks, the minimun geometry unit.
Using these blocks, it's very easy to move clouds depending of wind direction with smooth and pretty results, a noise texture is projected from the camera, simulating that the texture is in a plane under the geometry to obtain pretty cloud edges.
This is the basic schema:
Image

Xavi
And, as always, sorry for my English!

P.D.: @compvis yes, the sun moves :)
User avatar
_tommo_
Gnoll
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:09 pm
x 5
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by _tommo_ »

Maybe it's an heresy after you did so much work but... maybe you could make all the clouds using a post processing effect :D
It would have no batch count, would be much more configurable, and could reuse preexisting pieces of the pipeline like depth or normal buffers... and it looks much simpler than approximating a gas with geometry.

Each "cloud piece" could be a billboard with a circle-shaped perlin noise. This way rendering a bunch of those quads onto a black accumulation texture yelds a volume map that you can use for screen-space scattering, ligthing and transparency, similar to what Oogst did here.

Anyway keep up the excellent work :D
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Xavyiy »

Hi _tommo_,
the main problem that I see with screen-space cloud simulation is that even you can store depth information in buffers and then use it in a compositor to get the original pixel position and perform the scattering lighting, it's not enough for clouds.
For example: you stores in the depth buffer the depth of the nearest pixel in a direction and in another buffer the result of all perlin-noise quads add blend, but.. what about geometry that is behind this first quad?, this approach will work as expected for solid geometries(non transparent), but.. for example: how to perform in the post-process the ilumination of a semi-transparent(30% tranparency average, for example) cloud and then another one more opaque(60%) that is just behind the first one.(That means that for the same pixel you need the information of the world position of the first cloud, and the world position of the second one, and recursively for more clouds, when with a depth map you can only store one deph=one world position, I don't know if I'm in the right way, but seems to make sense).
I'm sure that there're multiple solutions for this, but it doesn't seems very simple for me(to be honest, I'm not very familiar with screen-space lighting techniques).
Some shots explaining what I want mean: (Enlarge image to see details)
Image
Image

Xavi

P.D.: Just an awesome image from simul weather sdk: http://www.simul.co.uk/wp-content/galle ... 80x720.jpg
User avatar
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 3335
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:26 pm
Location: Rochester, New York, US
x 3
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by Praetor »

I'm assuming the concentric spheres are meant as slices through a volume correct? Sounds to me like your semi-spheres are perfect candidates for instancing. Even instancing for SM2.0 would reduce your batch count a lot and still give you the same high-level interface for controlling the geometry. You could then detect SM3.0 and instance even more of them. There's the InstancedGeometry class to look. I haven't actually ever used the class, but rolling your own special-case shader instancing system for these spheres probably wouldn't be too difficult.
Game Development, Engine Development, Porting
http://www.darkwindmedia.com
User avatar
trilobite
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA
x 1

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by trilobite »

I am delighted to read in this thread that the first release of SkyX is planned for August. I hope you mean August 2009 :wink:

SkyX is looking most awesome and very promising.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by jacmoe »

It could be called Sky++0x :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
ToeNails
Gnoblar
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:41 am
Location: Floridea

Re: SkyX plugin [Preview, new screenshots - page 3]

Post by ToeNails »

After trying to make my own volumetric clouds for about 2 weeks, I must say yours are 5x better looking :)

So I wrote a poem....
*cough*
Mr Xavyiy, you give me water, you give me sky, you make me so happy I could cry.
*me bows*

I hope SkyX0.2 will be backwards compatible with SkyX0.1. (even in testing mode I plan on throwing it into my project asap)

Also with the inclusion of lightning effects maybe you ought to consider doing rain, atmospheric wind/turbulence, etc. Since these conditions greatly effect how clouds appear. Multiple sun/moon support with would be great too!!! but i'm probably getting too far ahead.

Keep up the great work, I love ya!
("\(>,<)/")
Post Reply