Sarah Palin

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Sarah Palin

Post by johnhpus »

So... anyone want to guess what's behind her resignation?
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: Sarah Palin

Post by xavier »

She has spent most of her time recently in the lower 48 states, campaigning for President in 2012. As if she has a chance.

This apparently has caused a lot of grumbling among the constituency in Alaska, so it's sort of mutual, as I gather.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

I think this has got to do with continuing attack on her private matter, the latest being Letterman making a joke of her daughter. Palin is a woman, probably she is more emotionally attached to the family than a man does :)
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

She has bigger balls than most men. Her family is a convenient political prop for her, when it suits her career objectives.

This resignation has nothing to do with keeping her daughter protected -- if she felt that strongly about her family's privacy they would not have been seen as much in public as they were last year.

Make no mistake -- she is the consummate politician, which means she is also the consummate opportunist. Everything she has done since being mayor of Wasilla has been done, in a rather calculated fashion, with an eye towards advancing her political fortunes.

Now that might sound as if I am singling her out -- as described above, she actually fits right in with the rest of the national-level political figures. I just think she has a snowball's chance in hell of being elected President, and that's assuming that she gets the nomination (in 2012 or any other year). The Republican party may actually snap out of the horribly rightward list it carries at present, in time to come to their senses and offer a candidate worth voting for.

Or all of those politicians in the middle, currently suffering from identity crises, might actually organize into that mythical third party we've been promised for so long, and leave the idealogical extremes in the Republican and Democratic parties to their own devices.

Selah.

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

I doubt there's ever a really "centered" party. In Spain a couple of them have tried in the past, getting no more than a few votes (which meant no more than ten vocals in the parliament).

As for Palin, I personally don't like her. Am not aware of what's happening to her at this moment, but honestly, I don't care. That said, don't support people attacking her private life (as long as it's decoupled from her public life -i.e. using public funds for private goals). In my opinion it's a dirty and unfair way to influence the political preferences of people. That's not politics; that's propaganda.

Anyways, I'm not a US citizen, so I can't really speak too loud about this :)
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Kencho wrote:Anyways, I'm not a US citizen, so I can't really speak too loud about this :)
In a way you can, provided you understand the sentiment, depth etc etc which is actually hard to do if you are not living in the said country :wink:

I still remember when there was a little riot in my country 12 years ago. I read BBC, CNN and they didn't reflect the news well- I mean if I were the outsiders and only read about the news (vs actually experiencing it), the news depth is so different, the sentiment (ie all the backgrounds which shape your presumptions) are simply not there. However, reading and paying attention to news are of course still way better than nothing.
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
ToeNails
Gnoblar

Post by ToeNails »

johnhpus wrote:So... anyone want to guess what's behind her resignation?
Playboy offered her a LOT of money :shock:

I have 2 ideas, either 1) She's about to be investigated, so she saves face. 2) She's sick of the personal attacks and having a mid-life crises.
I highly doubt she's going to run for president in 2012, She's got to much of a ditzy stigma on both sides. Nader has a better shot than her :lol:

All kidding aside, as a republican (though I'm actually libertarian, I like to vote in primaries) I'd have to say I've never liked Palin/Palin types. To much focus on morality, and not enough on my wallet.
("\(>,<)/")
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Kencho wrote:I doubt there's ever a really "centered" party. In Spain a couple of them have tried in the past, getting no more than a few votes (which meant no more than ten vocals in the parliament).
It appears it's the same everywhere. The parties are moving more and more to either right or left. To both sides, "government controls everything for your own good". It's the same here in the Netherlands.
VictorMoran
Greenskin

Post by VictorMoran »

I am still trying to figure out how it is that she is going to show republican how not to be quitters by quitting.

With this maverick move she left every political pundit scratching their head, include Carl Rove.
But not to worry, William Kristol is on the case, and He has it all figured it out.
He thinks it is a brilliant risky move, but not foolish in anyway, and just like other leaders before (Ronald Reagan), she can become the leader of the Republican Party and win the next election.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-YkaJPpyCA

I have to say I do not see the angle that Kristol sees in that move.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

VictorMoran wrote:I am still trying to figure out how it is that she is going to show republican how not to be quitters by quitting.
Good point. ;)
and just like other leaders before (Ronald Reagan), she can become the leader of the Republican Party and win the next election.
Except, Reagan at least had personality and people liked him -- she is just, well...scary?

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Not as scary as George W. Bush. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

No, he was just dopey and did whatever Cheney told him to do (proof is the fact that Cheney has been in the media more since Jan 20 than he was the entire previous 8 years). Palin has her own ideas, and that makes her scary. IMO.

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Found this when reading the posts and thought it was a nice image for the family album. Don't really know what to think about it though :?
This is *really* scary
This is *really* scary
Pantallazo-Ogre Forums • View topic - Sarah Palin - Mozilla Firefox.png (206.67 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
Anyways, I find Palin scarier than Condoleeza. Hope she's not as much as Bush.
warmi
Gnoll

Post by warmi »

I find Obama much more scary ... Bush and his little war was just a speed bump .. the new guy wants to essentially remake and fundamentally change the whole damn country.

I doubt he will sucessed though ... the reality ( which at this point looks like it will reveal itself in terms of good old bankruptcy) has its ways to temper all messianic figures.
_tommo_
Gnoll

Post by _tommo_ »

warmi wrote:I find Obama much more scary ... Bush and his little war was just a speed bump .. the new guy wants to essentially remake and fundamentally change the whole damn country.

I doubt he will sucessed though ... the reality ( which at this point looks like it will reveal itself in terms of good old bankruptcy) has its ways to temper all messianic figures.
I don't see how he could cause an economical disaster worst than the last one anyway :roll:
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
warmi
Gnoll

Post by warmi »

_tommo_ wrote:
warmi wrote:I find Obama much more scary ... Bush and his little war was just a speed bump .. the new guy wants to essentially remake and fundamentally change the whole damn country.

I don't see how he could cause an economical disaster worst than the last one anyway :roll:
Why not ? Despite what he claims there has been no real change at all ... the same people who were running the fed are still running it ... nothing has changed in these circles.
VictorMoran
Greenskin

Post by VictorMoran »

_tommo_ wrote:
I was going to say that.
You cannot just turn around 8 years of the secund most disastrous administration in history of the country, in just a few months.
The recovery is working and it will turn around despite renegade Republicans like Mark Sanford and Bobby Jindal.

On the scare thing, I tell you what scares me, this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HtSb7kwTFE

This kind of Vitriol coming from Fox News and Fox News AM Radio stations around the country,
Had never been seen in the 230 years since the country was born, this kind of hatred is unprecedented.

That man is not an ordinary ultra conservative crackpot, that was an ex CIA operative with contentions secrets about agents infiltrated with terrorist groups in the Middle East.
To see the dander of the statement, we have to remember that during the Reagan years the policy of the CIA was “The enemy of my enemy is my Friend”.
That man is member of group that operated by arming terrorist groups to fight other terrorist in late 70s and 80s’ which lead to:

Sadden Hussein rise to power with the help of Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney, The creation of the Mujahidin army of Ozama Bin Laden, the Iran Country black marked of weapons by Convicted criminal Oliver North, and goes on and on.

You have to wonder if these people, who have so much Hatred toward a Black man being president, aren’t going back to the old way of doing business. That’s what scared me the most.
If you want more just listen to want Glenn Beck has in the Air days in and day out.

On the Palin thing, I think Republicans do not have anything to worry about I can guaranty you that Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch are already working on a prime time spot for her in Fox News. Maybe they get her to co host with Sean Hannity, since he is her biggest cheerleader beside John Ziegler, who apparently is in love with her.
Last edited by VictorMoran on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warmi
Gnoll

Post by warmi »

Fox News is just a TV network and is doing what free press is supposed to be doing ... keeping the other side of the story alive.
Zarantas
Gnoblar

Post by Zarantas »

If Palin manages to get any higher than the Alaskan governor, I am hiding in a bunker until she is gone. I could not believe that people would even consider voting for her.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

warmi wrote:Despite what he claims there has been no real change at all ... the same people who were running the fed are still running it ... nothing has changed in these circles.
You really believe that the president of the US has that much power? :)
VictorMoran
Greenskin

Post by VictorMoran »

warmi wrote:Fox News is just a TV network and is doing what free press is supposed to be doing ... keeping the other side of the story alive.
Is that so?
So Warmi, other than the opinion of a man who is out of his mind, what side of the story is kept alived by these comments?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbL9-HzxH4

It sounds like for this Man, a person outside the white race. Is not even a person of a difference race, it is from a different Species. Can it gets more racist than that?
Even the ex Miss American blond, who is there to keep the attention of young males by uncrossing her legs from time to time, was appalled by the comment.
That’s not really new for conservative Republicans, We all remember similar comments by ex Senator Rick Santorum and Senator Brownbag.

These are the people with a national Podium in FoxNews, that can understand and rationalize politicians like:
Sarah Palin, Mark Sanford, John Ensign and David Vitter; to the hardliners of the conservative base.

In fact in a Gallop poll, her approval rating when up among Conservative Republicans after she announced her resignation, they think it was the right thing to do.
Never mind there is a rumor floating around that she resigned to avoid a huge ethics complaint about a bribe from a construction company to remodel her house
if she gave a nobid contract to that company to build a sport complex in her city of Wasilla.
warmi
Gnoll

Post by warmi »

VictorMoran wrote:
warmi wrote:Fox News is just a TV network and is doing what free press is supposed to be doing ... keeping the other side of the story alive.
Is that so?
So Warmi, other than the opinion of a man who is out of his mind, what side of the story is kept alived by these comments?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbL9-HzxH4

It sounds like for this Man, a person outside the white race. Is not even a person of a difference race, it is from a different Species. Can it gets more racist than that?
Even the ex Miss American blond, who is there to keep the attention of young males by uncrossing her legs from time to time, was appalled by the comment.
That’s not really new for conservative Republicans, We all remember similar comments by ex Senator Rick Santorum and Senator Brownbag.
The guys was simply joking and perhaps used somewhat unfortunate term .. but what he was saying is correct ... people in this country mix and match much more so than Europeans.
Frankly, I don't really give a damn ... people say weird things all the time.
I think you need to chill out …
VictorMoran wrote: These are the people with a national Podium in FoxNews, that can understand and rationalize politicians like:
Sarah Palin, Mark Sanford, John Ensign and David Vitter; to the hardliners of the conservative base.
So what ? So far , it is still not illegal to have an opposing view …
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

warmi wrote:Bush and his little war was just a speed bump ..
I just have to comment on that:
That's just so outrageously arrogant, that I am at loss for words..
Tell that to the victims of war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yet, so typically US American..
The worst kind of ignorance.
There really is a world beyond the borders of the US of A.

I really hope that Obama manages to change that just a little.
warmi
Gnoll

Post by warmi »

jacmoe wrote:
warmi wrote:Bush and his little war was just a speed bump ..
I just have to comment on that:
That's just so outrageously arrogant, that I am at loss for words..
Tell that to the victims of war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yet, so typically US American..
The worst kind of ignorance.
There really is a world beyond the borders of the US of A.

I really hope that Obama manages to change that just a little.
What ignorance are you talking about ?
I was simply commenting on his impact on the way of life with the US. He hasn't changed all that much during his 8 years ... at least compared to what Obama is trying to do.

In terms of Iraq ... time will tell but I am pretty sure you didn't give a damn what was happening to people in Iraq when Saddam was in power …so I find your "outrage" so damn typical of non-Americans ... they only care about "suffering and pain" when this country gets involved.

Yeah, the war was wrong but only because we really had no business messing with how others run their own affairs - if that involves having a murderous dictator killing them by the thousands ... so be it, it is not our problem.
On the other hand, it is not like Bush has broken any new ground here ... in fact, in terms of human suffering, this war doesn't even come close to what happened in Vietnam or Korea.

In any case, if Bush was a monster in the way you seem to be suggesting then so was Churchill, FDR , Kennedy and host of others … they all caused the death of thousands.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Hehe, so the Iraq war was necessary because there was "suffering and pain" there, right? Now what intrigues me is why there's no military action in other countries in a similar (or worse) situation than Iraq's, like in a lot of African countries. Ah, I know. Maybe because Iraq people not only had suffering and pain, but oil as well ;) To me, that war was just a) a personal vendetta because Bush (father) didn't won Kuwait's war, and b) there's economic interests there.

Anyways, these discussions are plain futile: Americans will look arrogant and non-americans will look ignorant of the true motives. So let's get back to the original subject.