Cheap tactics of Microsoft

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Cheap tactics of Microsoft

Post by SomeFusion »

While browsing today for some information about static variable in C++ google send me to http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/s1sb61xd.aspx.
I'm on Linux and use KDE as a Desktop Environment because of that I use Konqueror as my browser. When
I try to go to the site mentioned above with my real user agent I get a unusable site, but when I change the agent to IE7 on WinXp I get a perfectly browsable site...

maybe I shouldn't be surprised since tengrandisburiedhere.com :)
Summoning Wars is an open source role-playing game, featuring both a single-player and a multiplayer mode for about 2 to 8 players.
http://www.sumwars.org
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: Cheap tactics of Microsoft

Post by jacmoe »

Doesn't render funky using FireFox, so I guess that their code is not taking Konqueror into account.
Is Konqueror any good? Never used it. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

SomeFusion wrote:I try to go to the site mentioned above with my real user agent I get a unusable site, but when I change the agent to IE7 on WinXp I get a perfectly browsable site...
So are you saying that with the wrong user agent they actually send you different, unrenderable, data? That's pretty low...
jacmoe wrote:Doesn't render funky using FireFox, so I guess that their code is not taking Konqueror into account.
Is Konqueror any good? Never used it. :)
It's supposed to be pretty good - I think it uses the WebKit engine (same as Safari and Chrome). Though I mght be wrong, it used to use KHTML
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Post by SomeFusion »

Konqueror still uses KHTML but with most sites I don't have any problem. The only addons I miss from Firefox are Weave and DownloadHelper but I have installed Firefox with Wine for that :). I'm just not keen on pulling half of the gnome desktop just for a browser. Besides that Konqueror starts up almost instantly compared to Firefox.
Summoning Wars is an open source role-playing game, featuring both a single-player and a multiplayer mode for about 2 to 8 players.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

SomeFusion wrote:but I have installed Firefox with Wine for that :)
I have native Firefox and Konqueror in Ubuntu without any problems (installed from the repos). Why do you need Wine?
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Post by SomeFusion »

Kencho wrote:
I have native Firefox and Konqueror in Ubuntu without any problems (installed from the repos). Why do you need Wine?
Its because it depends so heavily on GTK+. It pulls alot of extra packages that I don't need for anything else.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I went the opposite route:
Installed Kubuntu on top of Ubuntu - now I have everything. :lol:
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

From the wiki article:
Microsoft refused to support DR-DOS in Windows; in one beta release of Windows, Microsoft included code that detected DR-DOS and displayed a warning message. DRI's successor Caldera Systems raised these disputes in a 1996 lawsuit, but the case was settled without a trial. As a condition of the settlement Microsoft paid Caldera $150 million and Caldera destroyed all documents it had produced in connection with the case.
Ah, I love the "destroy all your documents" clause. Not that Microsoft has anything to hide, right?
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

$150 million in 1996 - sounds like a lot of money. :)
I guess it wasn't for them.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

SomeFusion wrote:
Kencho wrote:
Its because it depends so heavily on GTK+. It pulls alot of extra packages that I don't need for anything else.
But you're going to have Wine eh?
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Post by SomeFusion »

Yes because I need wine anyway :)
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

This thread reminds me of a movie I once saw. There were some young guys who were not liking this corporation X and were open-source proponents. And then one of them was hired by the corporation and the others thought, dude it's a bad move, they are going to pull you to the dark side, don't go!

Then of course when the dude went to work there anyways, he found out some evil plan by the boss.

Of course there was a mention of a backdoor to the operating system. I recall that was not the key thing of the movie but it was mentioned anyways.

It was obviously Microsoft, just with a different name. It was located in the state of Washington, USA.