Hydrax-SkyX tech demo 1.0

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Hydrax-SkyX tech demo 1.0

Post by Xavyiy »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Hi all!
These last weeks I've been working on SkyX 0.1 and now that it's finished, I've done a little demo showing how to combine Hydrax and SkyX.

Demo features:
  • Hydrax-SkyX full integration
  • Full dynamic sky system
  • Sun highlights bloom post-processing effect
  • Depth texture shadows
  • Shader Model 2.0 capable
HD Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL02s_MGIQc - Youtube
http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/Hydr ... yXDemo.mp4 - Direct link, 83Mb

Download:
Compiled demo: http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/Hydr ... yXDemo.rar - 16Mb
Sources: http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/Hydr ... ources.rar - 13.5Mb

Hope you like it!

--------------------------------------------------------------
P.D.: SkyX 0.1 and Hydrax 0.5.1 are going to be released along this week!
vilgeits
Goblin

Re: Hydrax-SkyX tech demo 1.0

Post by vilgeits »

First on reply: THANKS!
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

This is incredible man!
Xplodwild
Goblin

Post by Xplodwild »

Demo freezes up my computer :/ I get a black/green screen at 0.005fps. I'm running a Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4Go RAM, WinXP SP3, GeForce 7600GT. "Normal" hydrax works well, aswell as your first SkyX preview worked.

Works on my 9300M GS on my Asus N10 laptop btw.
Last edited by Xplodwild on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illidanz
Kobold

Post by Illidanz »

Awesome!

Works fine on my pc (win xp, gtx 295)
xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

The binary version worked for me without problems... though I only got around 60 FPS and it seems that "Bloom" is not meant to be a HDR compositing pass, right? At least the existing geometry does not show anything like that. FSAA != 0 did not work for me (at least) in windowed mode.
The thin clouds should reflect the light colour when the sun is "beyond/below" them and where are all the volumetric clouds?

BUT: Hey it already looks really good :-) I look forward to your release!

xad
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Beautiful, man! :D

PS: Great music taste as well 8)
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Wowee! :shock:
The thin clouds should reflect the light colour when the sun is "beyond/below" them and where are all the volumetric clouds?
Yeah, for example here's a couple of screenshots of MyRddin's plugin, and his light scattering is tasty: one, two

Also, I think the sunset colour is too yellow, it should be more orangey perhaps like this and this and back to this (from CryEngine).

But seriously, this is CryEngine quality. The way the sun fades into the water is awesome. :D
Azgur
Goblin

Post by Azgur »

So pretty :D
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

At first, thanks for opinions :)

@Xplodwild
It seems to be something related with your drivers but if you say that the Hydrax and SkyX demo apps works as expected, then the problem must be something related with the bloom compositor or shadows.
So... I've uploaded two .exe's, one with no bloom and the other one with no shadows:
http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/Hydr ... hadows.exe
http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/Hydr ... oBloom.exe

Hope one of them works!

@xadhoom
As you say, the implemented 'Bloom' effect is not something like a HDR compositor, it's just for water sun highlights, a very simple an unexpensive compositor, nothing compared with a true HDR system. Anyway SkyX supports true HDR rendering, SkyX::setLightingMode(SkyX::LM_HDR or SkyX::LM_LDR), so... it's perfect for a true HDR rendering app.
About the antialiasing problem, it works as expected on my (two-years-old) 8600GT, so it must be something related with your drivers/graphic card.
About the basic clouds, I've to work on them and add some more light scattering effects like the effect you're talking about, but I will put it in the 0.2 version ToDo.
And about the volumetric clouds, I haven't enabled them in the demo, but don't worry, I'll release a demo showing how to use them in the SkyX 0.1 package :)
About FPS, I get around 50~60 in 1440x900 - fullscreen with the bloom compositor enabled and 'high quality' texture shadows, something very reasonable if you have present that I obtain about 55~65 with the simple Hydrax demo(No bloom, no shadows, no sky).
Anyway I'll work on Hydrax cpu speed enhancements in the future.

@DanielSefton
For clouds -> xadhoom reply :)

And for the sunset/general sky colours, don't worry, SkyX uses a simplified physically model that allows you to modify in real-time(without any kind of speed drop) the sky colours.
Just see SkyX::AtmosphereManager::Options::WaveLength :)
Anyway, I'll improve the Sky shader in a future. (Using a precomputed texture for speed-up things, etc).

Xavi
Last edited by Xavyiy on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_tommo_
Gnoll

Post by _tommo_ »

really awesome :D

The water given a better environment could be on par with Crysis' as for visual impact... the sky looks just perfect; it is beautiful while not attracting attention, being a perfect backdrop.

The only thing that looks a bit wrong IMHO are the caustics and the depth trasparency, that are too strong in the first depth interval (0-something) to then fade to nothing too fast, like in this screenshot.
It feels like if there is a layer of completely trasparent water over a layer of opaque blue water... not very natural.
In nature (like with rocky sea bottoms) you gradually lose the ability to see reds, then blues, then violets with increasing depth, so that you should still see white rocks under ~12 m of clear water.

Anyway i don't know how many people could notice this, the impact is really superb! :D
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
Xplodwild
Goblin

Post by Xplodwild »

Xavyiy wrote:@Xplodwild
It seems to be something related with your drivers but if you say that the Hydrax and SkyX demo apps works as expected, then the problem must be something related with the bloom compositor or shadows.
So... I've uploaded two .exe's, one with no bloom and the other one with no shadows:
http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/Hydr ... hadows.exe
http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/Hydr ... oBloom.exe

The NoShadows one works (NoBloom doesn't work ofcourse). So it's something related with shadows :)
Anyway, great work, looks beautiful.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Can't wait for SkyX and Hydrax source code :)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

This looks and feels totally awesome :D

What's the license for SkyX ? :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Xavyiy wrote:And for the sunset/general sky colours, don't worry, SkyX uses a simplified physically model that allows you to modify in real-time(without any kind of speed drop) the sky colours.
Will look forward to tweaking the params. :)
Xplodwild wrote:Demo freezes up my computer :/ I get a black/green screen at 0.005fps ... The NoShadows one works (NoBloom doesn't work ofcourse). So it's something related with shadows :)
Just to echo that - same for me. NoShadows works and the default one hangs and alternates between black and green (nVidia 6600)
Nargil
Greenskin

Post by Nargil »

I hope you don't mind some critique:
- I don't like the stars. There are to many of them and you can see the skydome rotating.
- I'd like to see the stars reflection on hydrax.
- the shadows look a bit bad, but this isn't paradise demo, is it ?
- you can see the specular on the issle even if the sun is underwater.
Hardcore libertarian, hardcore programmer.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@Xplodwild & DanielSefton
Try with this .exe:
http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/Hydr ... o_Test.exe

@jacmoe
LGPL :), so.. don't worry about the Hydrax-SkyX demo GPL license ;) (Anyway feel free to use some pieces of the main.cpp code in your app! Even if you use a different license..)

@Nargil
Critiques are always welcome :)
About current stars, you've reason, them are a simple seamless texture tiled in the skydome shader.
I'll work in a good stars system for future versions.
I've disabled the stars in the reflection map due to the feel is more realistic without the starfield, but if you want to see reflected in the water and you've the time, just comment this line: mSkyX->setStarfieldEnabled(false); in the main.cpp file :) (I hope release SkyX 0.1 and Hydrax 0.5.1 along this week).
About shadows, them are very very basic and even in high quality they doesn't look very well, but of course, as you say, it is not the Paradise demo ;)
About the island lighting, to be honest I haven't changed it from the basic Hydrax demo app, I've just done some little changes for shadows, but nothing more...
I hope the Paradise demo will be something 'x10 this demo' :)
Zeph
Gnoblar

Post by Zeph »

Thanks for this eye-candy Xavyiy, jaw-dropping. :)

I have a question aswell though, do you plan to support rendering atmosphere from outer space? (or even better, do your shaders and plugin already support it?)
Such a feature would make the plugin even more useful among Ogre community, I believe.

Juding your parameters (from extended info screen), I presume you used the gpugems article as a source of information aswell.
This would lead me to think the shader (by altering height value) adapts to different altitudes. (up to space)
I'm soon stepping into atmosphere rendering in my small hobby sandbox project, so learning from your code would be a nice opportunity.

Again, congratulations for getting all that working. :)
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

Looks great. I still have that holiday feeling. Very relaxed 8)
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

Super cool! :D

I agree with the star dome, the number of stars are overkill and its easy to see the sky rotating. I imagine the moon would produce enough light for the trees to cast shadows, wouldn't it? (I didn't see any shadows at night time)

Again, the effects look really good overall!
Creator of QuickGUI!
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

:shock: :shock: :shock: I have seen a lot of cool stuff done with Ogre while my time here, but this is definetly top quality!!! The scene is totally awesome and the realism really stunning.

I think sinbad should watch this video in an infinite loop, so that he can cancel his vacation ;) .
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Xplodwild
Goblin

Post by Xplodwild »

Xavyiy wrote:@Xplodwild & DanielSefton
Try with this .exe:
http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/Hydr ... o_Test.exe

This one works well, with shadows. 35fps @ 1152x864x32, windowed
Juan
Gnoblar

Post by Juan »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Mamma mia, looks like great
You have done merits to enjoy a Cruzcampo very cool in your fovorite bar :wink:
Xplodwild: I have an amd x2 4400+, 2 gb ram, a 8600 gt and win 7 64 bits and at maximun of all it has an average of 16 fps at 1280*1024, so maybe your 7600 gt can´t work with that demo
Xplodwild
Goblin

Post by Xplodwild »

Juan wrote:Xplodwild: I have an amd x2 4400+, 2 gb ram, a 8600 gt and win 7 64 bits and at maximun of all it has an average of 16 fps at 1280*1024, so maybe your 7600 gt can´t work with that demo
Well, at 1280x1024x32, windowed, it runs at 26fps with high shadows while looking at the island and some palms. I think you're limited by your processor (or you've too much tasks in background :p ).
Juan
Gnoblar

Post by Juan »

Xplodwild wrote:Well, at 1280x1024x32, windowed, it runs at 26fps with high shadows while looking at the island and some palms. I think you're limited by your processor (or you've too much tasks in background :p ).
So finally you can run it, good, it one of these things that you really have to see, it is great

I only had Blender running, but windows is windows :lol: