Hydrax-SkyX tech demo 1.0

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
kallaspriit
Gnoblar

Re: Hydrax-SkyX tech demo 1.0

Post by kallaspriit »

Amazing, ran decently on my ATI X1600 Mobile, got ~35FPS average. Really great work, played around with the values and got some very interesting results :P
Nargil
Greenskin

Post by Nargil »

Well I ran it once again, because its beautiful. I get 60-70 fps @ 1280x1024x32 and lower (Cpu does not allow more in smaller res), 50-60 @ 1440-900 and 30-40 @ 1920x1200x32.
I can now tell whats really wrong with the stars!! They are in front of the clouds ;-)
Hardcore libertarian, hardcore programmer.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
will.i.am
Gnoblar

Post by will.i.am »

Really amazing work! I'm looking forward to use it too.

Some benchmark from me:
I get 80-90 FPS @ 1920x1080x32 (Fullscreen, Anti Aliasing Level 8) on my Intel Core i7-920 with NVidia GTX 260 and 6GB RAM.
Praetorian
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Praetorian »

That is simply amazing...

I get ~70-80 fps at 1280x1024 (fullscreen, 8x AA). I have a 9800GTX+, Q9550 @ 2.83 and 4gb's RAM.
My Google summer of code 2011 topic: Unit Testing Framework
My Google summer of code thread
My Google summer of code wiki page
Zeal
Ogre Magi

Post by Zeal »

Great job!

Cant wait for the volumetric clouds! Hurry pls :) !
compvis
Gremlin

Post by compvis »

Congratulation ! Xavyiy !
steven
Gnoll

Post by steven »

Great job :)

Fps 15-24 with bloom deactivated on my ATI X300 (yeh i know but I want oge to work on old machines).
Xavyiy wrote:I'll release a demo showing how to use them in the SkyX 0.1 package
That would be useful.

Adding hydrax to an arbitrary terrain is harder than expected. I can't seem to understand the relation between distance/position/dimension of sun, wave plan, etc. For example depending on the y position of the water plan, if too low the waves will disappear (but the underwater effect is present), a bit higher the waves are white and higher nothing appears at all.

Perhaps you could make a sample using the ogre terrain demo?
saiago
Gnoblar

Post by saiago »

Absolutely amazing!
I wish I could use it in my project, but I don't plan on including any water or sky in it.
Gohla
Gnoblar

Post by Gohla »

Looks very nice! Above water I had an average fps of 60, under water it dropped down to about 40. My specs are: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.40Ghz, 1066Mhz, 4Mb x 2) and Asus Geforce 8800GTX (HTDP, 768Mb)

The night with stars and the moon could use some improvement. Shouldn't the moon also cast light and have some kind of atmospheric effect? But I guess that's still being worked on.
A bug that I noticed is that when you are under water and the sun goes below the horizon you can still see the glow of the sun. It only happens when you are under water.

Looking forward to the release!
hecenth
Gnoblar

Post by hecenth »

I've been waiting for this for quite a while. Great job, looking forward to it.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Me too :)
Xplodwild
Goblin

Post by Xplodwild »

Gohla wrote:Looks very nice! Above water I had an average fps of 60, under water it dropped down to about 40. My specs are: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.40Ghz, 1066Mhz, 4Mb x 2) and Asus Geforce 8800GTX (HTDP, 768Mb)
Little bit offtopic, but you can easily overclock it to 3Ghz with stock cooler ;) .

Waiting very much for the release.
compvis
Gremlin

Post by compvis »

I can't find #include "SkyX/SkyX.h" in demo sources ???
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@Xplodwild
Okey, I've updated the demo binary so now the default package should run on your graphic card as espected :)

@Nargil
The fact is that clouds are in front of stars, but due to the scene-blending applied to the clouds it seems to be behind the stars, I'll work on it in future releases

@steven
About setting-up Hydrax with the terrain Ogre demo, it shoudn't be hard, In the default Hydrax demo/Editor I use the Ogre terrain scene manager, so the setting-up code is the same, about water scales, you've to play with the noise module "scale" value and with ProjectedGrid strength, etc..
About the y-position of the plane water, it's supposed that you're going to get the same water but just displaced on the y-axis, if it doesn't work for you it could be maybe a bug or a bad Hydrax config.

@Gohla
About the fps drop in underwater rendering, it's due to the fact that one more compositor is needed, and the due to the god-rays geometry. Anyway I'll work on speed-up underwater rendering in future releases.

@compvis
Yeah, I haven't released SkyX 0.1 yet, but I hope doing it along this week, I just need to find the time to make the package and build the doc with doxygen :)

Xavi
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Well,hope you'll find your time to build it and release it soon :)
altren
Gnome

Post by altren »

Xavyiy wrote:@Gohla
About the fps drop in underwater rendering, it's due to the fact that one more compositor is needed, and the due to the god-rays geometry. Anyway I'll work on speed-up underwater rendering in future releases.
Actually there's major bug in underwater rendering: when you under water everything shouldn't wawe and palms should be straight. Only things on another side of water surface should wave. So underwater part of palm from underwater should be as straight as over-water part when looking from over-water. Uh, sorry for my English.
Sheen
Halfling

Post by Sheen »

Altren, I've just checked demo and there's no bug you described.
Kyle_Katarn
Halfling

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

I just tried this and I have to say it's absolutely gorgeous! Running smoother than a baby's butt.

Specs:
1920 x 1200, Fullscreen, 8x AA, Bloom and High Quality shadows, running at about 59-60 fps.

Does munch up a bit of resources, doesnt it? Oh well, the important thing is that it's visually stunning!
altren
Gnome

Post by altren »

Sheen wrote:Altren, I've just checked demo and there's no bug you described.
Well, may be only I see this, but here's few screenshots (all made from single camera position):
As you can see everything is moving.
xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

Sounds stupid but: Is it the palm shadow which moves according to the sun? Or something else?

xad
Sheen
Halfling

Post by Sheen »

altren,
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@altren & Sheen
I think that what altren is seeing is a little wave-movement compositor that is enabled in all the underwater scene, I know that it's physically incorrect but otherwise the scene looks a little "bored".
Anyway it's on my plans for future versions update the underwater rendering part(For the paradise codename demo), so... don't worry about that!

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in France on Holidays so... I don't know if I'm going to have the oportunity of release SkyX 0.1 and Hydrax 0.5.1 before my return :S (ten days).

Xavi
HaRo
Gnoblar

Post by HaRo »

Looks amazing. I don't think that the sky shows too many stars, in fact i am always amazed when i see the night sky outside of cities and villages. If you're in the plain land, far away from cities and their dust/steam cloud and cities / villages and their light sources, you can really see ALOT of stars if you look up there - in this demo, it's just that they are not grouped into nebulas galaxies, stuff, whatevars - so the whole pattern leaves the impression like a blanket poked with a needle.

Brings me to the point : Will it be able to define own star skydomes, so you can i.e. use different skies for different worlds/maps ? Also, can it be possible to add not one, but for example two, three or four moons ? That would be an interesting option.

Great work, i was almost drooling when i played around with the the demo. ;o)
Nargil
Greenskin

Post by Nargil »

"acording to crysis' universe" - made me laugh.

- Hey Newton: you suck !
- doh ?
- Crysis rulez the world !

But I think in this case Newton would agree with crysis. ;)
Hardcore libertarian, hardcore programmer.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
mostafa_cpp
Halfling

Post by mostafa_cpp »

Fantastic :D
Thanks for sharing