Chronos Editor: Taking a new direction

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.

Will you use the new Chronos Editor?

Yes! It sounds awesome!!
84%
Nah, not my style.
16%

Total votes: 43

Antiarc
Greenskin

Chronos Editor: Taking a new direction

Post by Antiarc »

Ctaesis and I have been battling back and forth on this project, and we've finally come to the conclusion that it just isn't going to work. The dealbreaker was an incongruency in the color/colour syntax. We simply can't support both, and both being North American, we opted to use "color", and abandon the "colour" syntax. Unfortunately, as a result, we felt it unsuitable for usage by the Ogre community. Since there's little point in such an inflexible tool, we've decided to rethink our approach. So, to that end, we've decided to ditch the Chronos project and develop a text editor. We feel it will bring more flexibility to the Ogre/Axiom editing scene. After all, we'll all programmers, right? I mean, a text editor should be second nature to all of us. Regardless of your spelling of "colo(u)r", you'll be able to use this new tool with effortless precision.

As a result, our existing codebase has been scrapped, and we've started from scratch. We feel that this new tool will bring an unprecedented level of flexibility and usability to the Ogre and Axiom communities, allowing developers to churn out content at a record pace. Plus, with all that flexibility, it eliminates the need for nasty complexities like modules and plugins and such. Just edit your document, reload your app, and you're off!

While we expect to get some flak over this decision, it was one we did not arrive at lightly, and we stand behind it. We hope to produce a tool that will eventually serve the Ogre and Axiom communities faithfully, and expect that you'll eventually warm up to it as we have.

With that, I present a screenshot of our first beta, soon to be available on Windows(TM) platforms. I hope you like it!

http://ogre.digitalsentience.com/chronospad.gif

This post brought to you courtesy of whacked out AIM conversations.
Last edited by Antiarc on Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ctaesis
Gnoblar

Post by Ctaesis »

I hope there are no hard feelings, we really had a difficult time making the best of a bad situation. Hopefully, you will support us going forward with this new approach.

I expect great things from Chronos Editor 2.0! I hope to see you there.
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Wow! That's fantastic.

However. I notice that there's a "menu" at the top of the window containing commands like "File" and "Edit". Surely this will require that the user removes their hand from the keyboard and uses the mouse to click on the various options there, which will slow down the editing process.

Wouldn't it be better if you could just type commands in using the keyboard? Things like ":w Water.material" to save a file? Maybe have two different modes; a "command" mode and an "insert" mode, which you could switch between using the "escape" key.
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

Hmm. as long as the new editor has spell checking and syntax highliting, I'm all for it :) Though, it looks suspiously like Notepad...

Seriously though, seems like you guys have it a brick road heh?

I guess you guys are having trouble reading in the different names of things between Ogre and Axiom? Perhaps you could have one simple choice at startup that selects what will be used to load and save (either Ogre or Axiom), or perhaps the difference is oo much.

I hope you are not completely serious about ditching your efforts though, your tool looked to be very promising.

Maybe Sinbad and Leed can come to a culturally acceptable choice, and call it КОЛОРИТ ... jk.
Lodes
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Lodes »

This will revolutionize the way editors are made, though I do have to agree about that menu on top which doesn't seem to fit so well. That seems a bit out there but this could truly be the tool with which games are made in the 21st century.

By the way about the color/colour stuff why don't you just use couleur and end the whole thing.
toastie
Gnoblar

Post by toastie »

RHUN!

(Real Hackers Use Notepad)
Rest well this night. For tomorrow you sail for the kingdom of Daggerfall.
Chev
Gnoblar

Post by Chev »

I downloaded the latest cvs snapshot of the beta and I'm getting link errors. :wink:

Plugin_UberChronosEditor2 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class Ogre::UberChronosEditor2 & __cdecl Ogre::UberChronosEditor2::getSingleton(void)" (?getSingleton@UberChronosEditor2@Ogre@@SAAAV12@XZ)
Plugin_UberChronosEditor2 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall Ogre::UberChronosEditor2::~UberChronosEditor2(void)" (??1UberChronosEditor2@Ogre@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: void * __thiscall Ogre::UberChronosEditor2::`scalar deleting destructor'(unsigned int)" (??_GUberChronosEditor2@Ogre@@QAEPAXI@Z)
Antiarc
Greenskin

Post by Antiarc »

Chev wrote:I downloaded the latest cvs snapshot of the beta and I'm getting link errors. :wink:

Plugin_UberChronosEditor2 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class Ogre::UberChronosEditor2 & __cdecl Ogre::UberChronosEditor2::getSingleton(void)" (?getSingleton@UberChronosEditor2@Ogre@@SAAAV12@XZ)
Plugin_UberChronosEditor2 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall Ogre::UberChronosEditor2::~UberChronosEditor2(void)" (??1UberChronosEditor2@Ogre@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: void * __thiscall Ogre::UberChronosEditor2::`scalar deleting destructor'(unsigned int)" (??_GUberChronosEditor2@Ogre@@QAEPAXI@Z)
Weird. I've never seen a VB app throw C++ errors before. Do you have the latest Windows Media Player?
leedgitar
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by leedgitar »

Please, for the well being of yourselves, and for the sake of your friends and family alike, step away from the crack pipe and seek professional help at your earliest convenience. Thanks :lol:

Anyway, Axiom does support both spellings :P :wink:
Jeff Leigh
Kobold

Post by Jeff Leigh »

Pssssst!! Your calender is running 85 days slow.
Kanma
Halfling

Post by Kanma »

I if can give my advice, there is too much spaces in the text in your editor. It becomes readable! It don't have to be so user-friendly, we are programmers, we can write the script in hexa right? :wink:
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Wow... this is so impressive, for a tool like this I'd go Windows and Visual Basic again

This is the way Ogre was meant to be edited!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Do you plan to add support for punch cards? Otherwise there may be serious interoperability concerns between this and my trusty UNIVAC. :?
staringmonkey
Greenskin

Post by staringmonkey »

Will it be skinnable?
Judas
Gnoblar

Post by Judas »

How about support for my IBM 9672 R45 running ZOS and the KIMTron??
leedgitar
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by leedgitar »

Well, since this news has disturbed in such horrid ways, I have made the tough choice to immediately discontinue any furthur work on Axiom from this point on. All files have been promptly deleted from the CVS repository (check the cvs email archives http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... engine-cvs for proof!!).

In it's place, I have already started developing a COM based 2d file based rendering library in Visual Basic 5 (sorry Linux dudes, your SOL!). For those who want to develop games that rival the wonderful games AOL subscribers get to play via their service, this will be for you! All references to color throughout the engine will now be called "WhatYouSeeWhenLightShinesOnStuff"

Code: Select all

tile.BackgroundWhatYouSeeWhenLightShinesOnStuff = MyGlobals.CreateWhatYouSeeWhenLightShinesOnStuff(1, 0, 0)
Sorry for the late notice, I'll keep you posted on the progress.

P.S. No screenshots yet, I don't want anyone trying to copy this technological masterpiece!
Ctaesis
Gnoblar

Post by Ctaesis »

sinbad wrote:Do you plan to add support for punch cards? Otherwise there may be serious interoperability concerns between this and my trusty UNIVAC.
Do you have VB runtimes on your UNIVAC? The cross-platform support is built directly into the VB runtime! Just copy them onto your drum.

We are thinking about adding support for ENIAC-style "flip a bit; flip a switch" text-editing. This feature also opens the door to effortless support of all major character encoding schemes. Personally, I see a great need in the Ogre Community for a 1-bit encoding scheme.
Jeff Leigh
Kobold

Post by Jeff Leigh »

Isn't VB-DOS 2.0 cross-platform?
Coder

Post by Coder »

Where can i get Chronos Editor + Source code?
ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

Coder wrote:Where can i get Chronos Editor + Source code?
It is now aquired by SGI.
ekt
Gremlin

Post by ekt »

@sinbad: i know you are busy but you should really update the 'Featured Projects Screenshots Area' in tha main page with some pics from the new version of the editor.
Coder

Post by Coder »

And that means??

i can´t get it for free??
Cyberdigitus
Halfling

Post by Cyberdigitus »

This is a joke right?
. . .
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member