[SoC 2009 - Accepted] Improve Ogre's Compositor Framework

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: [SoC 2009 - Accepted] Improve Ogre's Compositor Framework

Post by Noman »

Woohoo!
Its good to know that I passed GSoC, but I am not yet done.
There are still a few things I want to add to the demo (specifically, transparency to show how that can be handled is the most important one) and of course, the merge with the main branch...
the_Best_flash
Gnoblar

Post by the_Best_flash »

I've been using this compositor framework to attempt to implement a Light Prepass Shading system in Ogre, and I have to say that you did a great job.

I'm not very experienced with OGRE, but your demo and compositor framework has been very easy to understand and has been a great help. So far the custom compositor passes and shared render targets seem to be exactly what I needed.

I was able to create a simple Prepass Rendering system (With a few small bugs around the edges of some objects) fairly quickly with your system.

Very Nice work.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

Wow! Thats awesome! Really happy to hear that the additions are indeed suitable for other techniques (I expected them to be, but its nice to have confirmation).

One question - how did you implement the last part (I believe it is called material pass) - which has to reference the L-Buffer textures in normal materials?

In other news, I'm currently working on preparing the project for a merge with Ogre head, which means making sure that every last bit is programmed and documented according to the Ogre standards and also updating the Ogre manual with the additions.
xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

I´m really looking forward to the new compositor demo :D
Great work!

xad
the_Best_flash
Gnoblar

Post by the_Best_flash »

One question - how did you implement the last part (I believe it is called material pass) - which has to reference the L-Buffer textures in normal materials?
That's where the custom compositor pass was useful. I reserved an empty texture unit in the .material files that would be rendered with the L-Buffer and used a custom compositor pass to set this texture unit to the L-
Buffer. I then ran the custom pass just before I rendered the scene.

Like I said above, there are still a few small bugs to work out and some optimizations that could be made, but overall the first version of it worked great.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

@the_Best_flash

Clever stuff :) We were talking about some additional future changes to the framework (specifically, the compositor content_type) that could make life easier for this type of association, but I guess that works as well... Really happy to hear that it helped you!

@xadhoom

There won't really be a 'new' compositor demo. Like I said in the beginning of the framework, the compositor framework started out as a post-processing framework, but gradually evolved into a 'custom render sequence' framework (probably when the render_scene directive was added). This project focused on that side of the framework.
The compositor demo could be called a 'post processing' demo, as it mainly showcases the 'plug and play' compositors that just do image processing. Besides updating the code-coupled compositors to use the CompositorLogic option, nothing really changed. So that will be the only change in the demo, which is entirely behind the scenes...
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Today Noam (Noman) and I met and I congratulated him on a great project.
Good work Noam - as always. You did an excellent job and your work will help many others in years to come – this is the true open source spirit.
:D
Attachments
Noam and me. Noam is on the left.
Noam and me. Noam is on the left.
NoamAnMe.jpg (26.96 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

:D

Thanks for the shirt! And for an awesome GSoC year!

[Edit]
The demo currently does not work out of the box.
a potential problem with script inheritance causes it to not work. I hope to resolve it soon.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

I am going on vacation tomorrow, which means that I won't be here when sinbad returns and (hopefully) this is merged into trunk.

If you guys (steve, assaf) would like to patch it while I am away, I created a patch here :
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=302997
(Also valid for anyone who wants to try out the new code without getting the branch)
It includes all the modifications to ogre, and is a patch that is prepared to work against the HEAD branch of ogre, during the time this message is being written.

I will be able to check emails and forums once in a while, but won't have a compilation environment.
If you prefer to wait until I return for the merge, that is fine as well.

See you all in a month! (And when I check the forums occasionally :) )
smokebox
Gnoblar

Post by smokebox »

Hi all!
Just a newbie question,
if i want to play with this demo framework do i need to get branches/soc09-compositor/ revision, i am currently using Ogre v1.6.1 [Shoggoth] ?
thanks!
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

If you want to play with the framework right now, you have two options :
1) Get the branches/soc09-compositor branch
2) Get the trunk branch, and apply the patches. The details on applying the patches can be found in my previous post.

I'd go for option #2, because it contains a better version of ogre, which contains bug fixes and improvements made to the main branch while I was developing on the side branch.
smokebox
Gnoblar

Post by smokebox »

I ve got branch version, program crashes and got this log info:
CompositorChain: Compositor DeferredShading/ShowLit has no supported techniques.
what excly doeas that means?
compositor file compiles properly (I have nvidia 8400 graphics)
thanks in advance!
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

I will look it up in the weekend.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

Can you post the complete log here? I believe there should be a related failure (maybe a shader fails compilation) before the one you pasted.
smokebox
Gnoblar

Post by smokebox »

all the parsing is done without any errors...but this one:

07:22:00: Parsing script deferred_post_minilight.hlsl.program
07:22:00: OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): Parameter called lightFalloff does not exist. in GpuProgramParameters::_findNamedConstantDefinition at ..\..\soc09-compositor\OgreMain\src\OgreGpuProgramParams.cpp (line 1400)
07:22:00: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.hlsl.program(27): setting of constant failed

thanks!
nbeato
Gnome

Post by nbeato »

I quietly followed this project over summer hoping I could skip nullsquared's deferred rendering implementation and do it with compositors... I finally got a chance to see it working with the shaders I wrote months ago :) Awesome job! FYI, I'm using the trunk + patches a few posts up in Vista 64 with no problems.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Noman wrote:Woohoo!
Its good to know that I passed GSoC, but I am not yet done.
There are still a few things I want to add to the demo (specifically, transparency to show how that can be handled is the most important one) and of course, the merge with the main branch...
Great work over the summer, you thoroughly earned your pass!

Merging into trunk will definitely be on the agenda over the coming days / weeks, and we'd love to have you around for that and anything else you feel like doing in the future :)
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Have sinbad commited this to trunk?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Noman's going to be away for a couple of weeks so I'm going to review it then. He can commit the merge himself to trunk after that. Just grab the branch if you want a preview.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Hope he will get back soon so we can have better compositor system into trunk :)
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

He will be back in a few days.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

And I'm back!

I want to commit this to trunk soon. Some minor changes (mostly minor style issues that I can fix in a batch) need to be made, but besides that the only thing missing is platform compatibility.
We don't want to commit this patch before it gets tested on different platforms, which is why I'm looking for volunteers for platform testing.
Calling all linux and macintosh users! Please get the patch from here :

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 75#p355244

And tell me if it worked. When that is behind us, we will go on to commit this to the trunk!
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

I tested it on Linux, there was one compile error in OgreMain in OgreCompositorManager.cpp:499:

Code: Select all

j = texMap.erase(j);
is nonstandard, as far as I know std::map::erase is supposed to have return type void. Replacing the line with the following works fine:

texMap.erase(j++);
Furthermore, in the DeferredShading demo in DeferredShading.cpp:44, the header file is spelled wrongly (Gbuffer instead of GBuffer); Linux is case-sensitive.
In GBufferMaterialGenerator.cpp, whenever you return a GpuProgramPtr from a HighLevelGpuProgramPtr, you must make the conversion explicit, because g++ doesn't do it implicitly. This happens at lines 120 and 240 (or somewhere near there); replace

return ptrProgram;
with

return Ogre::GpuProgramPtr(ptrProgram);
Finally, the patch's changes for the demo's CMakeLists.txt file are rejected, which makes CMake miss some of the new source files. These changes need to be readjusted for current head.

With those fixes, everything compiles fine. However, sibenik.mesh is missing; the patch doesn't include it due to it being a binary file, so I haven't yet been able to test the demo. I guess I can check it out from your branch later.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

Thanks!

About the media - check out the comment in the patch page, it links to a zip file with the binary media files needed for the demo.

If after those fixes it runs on linux, and we get past mac as well, I think we'll be ready to commit this to the main branch...
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

Ah, I totally missed the comment. All right, there is another case of misspelled file names. The following files have lower-case file endings, but are accessed via upper-case file endings: KAMEN320x240.jpg, KAMEN-stup.jpg, MRAMOR6X6.jpg. Either rename the files or make the scripts address them correctly.

Anyway, after fixing these errors, when running the demo, I get a bunch of errors about shaders not loading, see Ogre.log:

18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_minilight.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_vs encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): Named constants have not been initialised, perhaps a compile error. in GpuProgramParameters::_findNamedConstantDefinition at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreGpuProgramParams.cpp (line 1389)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.program(48): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): Named constants have not been initialised, perhaps a compile error. in GpuProgramParameters::_findNamedConstantDefinition at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreGpuProgramParams.cpp (line 1389)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.program(49): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.program(50): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.program(59): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.program(61): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.program(62): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.program(63): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.program(70): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.program(71): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_vs encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program(7): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program(8): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program(9): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/LightMaterial_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program(17): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program(19): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program(20): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program(21): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program(23): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program(24): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_debug.hlsl.program
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_ambient.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/Ambient_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/Ambient_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/Ambient_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_ambient.program(24): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_ambient.program(25): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_ambient.program(26): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_ambient.program(27): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_multipass.hlsl.program
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_onepass.hlsl.program
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_minilight.hlsl.program
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.program(41): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/notex_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/notex_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/notex_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.program(67): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.program(68): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.program(118): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.program(119): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.program(120): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_notex_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_notex_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_notex_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.program(147): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.program(148): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.program(149): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred.glsl.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.glsl.program(13): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/notex_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/notex_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/notex_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.glsl.program(21): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.glsl.program(22): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.glsl.program(36): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.glsl.program(37): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.glsl.program(38): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_notex_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_notex_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_notex_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.glsl.program(46): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.glsl.program(47): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred.glsl.program(48): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_debug.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowNormal_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowNormal_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowNormal_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.program(27): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.program(28): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowDS_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowDS_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowDS_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.program(36): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.program(37): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowColour_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowColour_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowColour_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.program(45): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.program(46): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred.hlsl.program
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/Ambient_ps.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/Ambient_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/Ambient_ps.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(9): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(10): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(11): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_vs.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_vs encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_vs.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(63): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(64): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(65): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(66): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(68): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_ps.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_ps.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(79): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(81): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(83): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_vs.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_vs encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_vs.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(99): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(100): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(101): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(102): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_ps.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/LightMaterial_ps.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(115): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(117): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(118): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(119): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/Ambient_ps.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/Ambient_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/Ambient_ps.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(137): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(138): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/vs.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/vs encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource DeferredShading/post/vs.cg in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 747)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(151): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(152): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post.program(153): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script ShadowCaster.program
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_vs.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/vs encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_vs.program(19): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_debug.glsl.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowNormal_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowNormal_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowNormal_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.glsl.program(6): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.glsl.program(7): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowDS_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowDS_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowDS_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.glsl.program(15): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.glsl.program(16): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowColour_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowColour_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/ShowColour_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.glsl.program(24): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_debug.glsl.program(25): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/Ambient_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/Ambient_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/Ambient_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program(8): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program(9): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program(10): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program(11): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/GlobalLight_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/GlobalLight_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/GlobalLight_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program(20): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program(21): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program(22): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program(23): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program(24): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: Parsing script deferred_post_onepass.glsl.program
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/vs encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_onepass.glsl.program(8): setting of constant failed
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/SinglePass_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/post/glsl/SinglePass_ps encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/post/glsl/SinglePass_ps in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: Compiler error: invalid parameters in deferred_post_onepass.glsl.program(16): setting of constant failed

[...]

18:59:16: Parsing script deferred.material
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/vs encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)
18:59:16: High-level program DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_vs encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to preprocess shader DeferredShading/material/glsl/nm_vs in loadFromSource at /home/cabal/programming/ogre/sources/trunk/RenderSystems/GL/src/GLSL/src/OgreGLSLProgram.cpp (line 156)

[...]

18:59:17: WARNING: material DeferredShading/Post/ShowNormal has no supportable Techniques and will be blank. Explanation: 
Pass 0: Vertex program DeferredShading/post/vs cannot be used - compile error.

18:59:17: WARNING: material DeferredShading/Post/ShowNormal has no supportable Techniques and will be blank. Explanation: 

18:59:17: CompositorChain: Compositor DeferredShading/ShowNormals has no supported techniques.
18:59:17: WARNING: material DeferredShading/Post/ShowDS has no supportable Techniques and will be blank. Explanation: 

18:59:17: WARNING: material DeferredShading/Post/ShowDS has no supportable Techniques and will be blank. Explanation: 

18:59:17: CompositorChain: Compositor DeferredShading/ShowDepthSpecular has no supported techniques.
18:59:17: WARNING: material DeferredShading/Post/ShowColour has no supportable Techniques and will be blank. Explanation: 

18:59:17: WARNING: material DeferredShading/Post/ShowColour has no supportable Techniques and will be blank. Explanation: 

18:59:17: CompositorChain: Compositor DeferredShading/ShowColour has no supported techniques.
18:59:17: CompositorChain: Compositor DeferredShading/ShowColour has no supported techniques.
I skimmed through the media dir, and it appears that all the shader files for the DeferredShading demo are empty - both glsl and hlsl. Some mistake when creating the patch? Anyway, the demo then segfaults, I don't know if this is a consequence from the missing shaders. If it's not, the reason it is crashing is because in DeferredShading.cpp:103, the array mInstance has 4 entries, the last 3 of which are 0 -> segfault.