Proun - OUT NOW!

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: Proun

Post by Noman »

Probably still has to do with renderqueues.

Code: Select all

enum RenderQueueGroupID
    {
        /// Use this queue for objects which must be rendered first e.g. backgrounds
        RENDER_QUEUE_BACKGROUND = 0,
        /// First queue (after backgrounds), used for skyboxes if rendered first
        RENDER_QUEUE_SKIES_EARLY = 5,
        RENDER_QUEUE_1 = 10,
        RENDER_QUEUE_2 = 20,
		RENDER_QUEUE_WORLD_GEOMETRY_1 = 25,
        RENDER_QUEUE_3 = 30,
        RENDER_QUEUE_4 = 40,
		/// The default render queue
        RENDER_QUEUE_MAIN = 50,
        RENDER_QUEUE_6 = 60,
        RENDER_QUEUE_7 = 70,
		RENDER_QUEUE_WORLD_GEOMETRY_2 = 75,
        RENDER_QUEUE_8 = 80,
        RENDER_QUEUE_9 = 90,
        /// Penultimate queue(before overlays), used for skyboxes if rendered last
        RENDER_QUEUE_SKIES_LATE = 95,
        /// Use this queue for objects which must be rendered last e.g. overlays
        RENDER_QUEUE_OVERLAY = 100, 
		/// Final possible render queue, don't exceed this
		RENDER_QUEUE_MAX = 105
    };
These are the render queue defaults. Ogre does use them internally in some places. I'd assume you'd get out of most of this mess easily if you select your render queues accordingly...
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Hmm, I guess it has something to do with the enum you post, but I still don't see how exactly. Wouldn't it be a good idea to reference this enum from RenderQueue and MovableObject::setRenderQueueGroup() in the documentation, and to better explain at RenderQueueGroupID what happens when these are used wrongly?
My dev blog
Awesomenauts: platforming MOBA (PC/Mac/Linux/XBox360/X1/PS3/PS4)
Blightbound: coop online dungeon crawler (PC)
Swords & Soldiers: side-scrolling RTS (Switch/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac/Linux/iPhone/iPad/Android)
Proun: abstract racing game (PC)
Cello Fortress: mixing game and live cello performance
The Ageless Gate: cello album
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Are you literally using the numbers "10" and "11" and "12"? I suggest you use the enum'd groups, for example .._4, .._MAIN and .._6
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

I didn't know about the enum RenderQueueGroupID! I use that now. :)

Since the API Reference doc does not mention this enum at some points where it should (because it is passed as a uint8), I submitted a patch to Ogre that adds two references in the documentation to this enum. Hopefully this way future users won't be as confused by this as I was. :)
My dev blog
Swords & Soldiers: side-scrolling RTS (Switch/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac/Linux/iPhone/iPad/Android)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

The methods used to use the RenderQueueID enum, but then people wanted to use numbers 'in between' without nasty casting, so that's why we changed it to a simple number. I guess no-one realised that the link between the two became tenuous for the reader after that! Thanks.
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

I've already reached the boring part of this game: polish. Lots of work, but only small visual progress. Luckily, I don't have to do as much of it as I had to do for Swords & Soldiers, since Proun is much more minimalistic.

Anyway, these shots show what the player vehicle looks like at different speeds:

I was also working on the particles to use for the collisions, when the user steers too late and hits an object. First I had these rather standard particles (except in a ring, which required me to write a new ParticleEmitter):

Totally doesn't work with the style of the game! So I changed it into this, which is rather crazy, but also looks quite cool. At least, that's what I think. :)

Next up is to make something to show that you are close to an object, only just not touching it. Some kind of particles or something like that. Playtesting taught me that my test subject had difficulty judging when he was hitting something, so these kinds of particles are really important. After that, I think I will have to fix collision handling (bouncing from objects feels rather random now) and I should finally start the sound design. The soundtrack is 95% finished, but I don't have any sound effects yet. Anyone has any ideas for the kind of engine sound for this vehicle? And how would sound if you hit an object? The soundtrack, by the way, is a bit like bigbang/rockabilly music. Guitar, saxophone, bass and drums, basically.
My dev blog
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

The audio guys I've worked with in the past actually go out and sample real-world sounds. So if you need a "gong" sound, you can either go record a gong, or record something that sounds enough like one. City amibent noise, etc., all the same way.

FMOD is popular, if your game is only on Windows then XAudio2 is a good choice, as it comes with the DX SDK. I'd avoid OpenAL if you could, simply because it's not as game-oriented as the other two, and does have some quirks that we've found in the past.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

try finding some electric car recordings. They have a nice sound about them for a futuristic vehicle.
Pyritie
Gnome

Post by Pyritie »

Does the car need a "motor" sound?

What about adjusting the speed of the music based on movement speed?
I use Mogre, BulletSharp, LuaNetInterface, irrKlang, and Miyagi! | Ponykart (Showcase)
Baddcog
Halfling

Post by Baddcog »

I like the looks of the game. I also think the ingame renders look better than the first you posts.

However I don't care for the slow 'noise' sphere. I don't even like the sphere, looks to disconneted to me. I think more of a u shaped vehicle would be better, like it's holding onto the cable because it wraps some.

Not too much or that limits fudge factor at the cable connectors.

But very lite on details to match the game. Some cel shaded lines on it like the other stuff would help tie it in too, so it needs some square edges IMO.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

How about a video? ;)
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Instead of a video, I think I will post the executable of the game this weekend (for as much as it is done at the moment): I need to know whether it runs on most PCs before I submit it for IGF. So then you can try the game, which is much more fun than watching a video. :) I will also make a real trailer, but that is probably at least two weeks away.
My dev blog
mrmclovin
Gnome

Post by mrmclovin »

Wow! I'd really like to try out this game. Love the color and graphics. I hope you'll get the exe this weekend :)
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Finally, here is a playable version! :D Still misses a lot of stuff, but I need to know whether it works at all, so I am hoping some people can download this and let me know whether it works and is playable and such! Here is the link:

version removed, new version further in this topic

Note that this version should only work on shader model 3 hardware, so Geforce 6 or Radeon X1 or higher.

If you are having problems running this version, then please post about it here and send me the Ogre.log and the Application.log (tsgoo@hotmail.com). Also, I am wondering what kind of framerates people are getting.

And, of course, let me know how it plays! Do you like the feel and looks of the thing? Can someone beat my best lap time of around 38.8 seconds? :)

The most important things that are missing in this version are sound effects, enemies, highscores, graphics for the menu, joystick support and another track.

Last edited by Oogst on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My dev blog
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

Great work, I enjoyed playing it.

With a Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB RAM, 880GT 512MB i got roughly 150fps. I'm not sure how much it changes as i was concentrating on playing it.
I took around 44 seconds for a single lap.
rizu
Gnoblar

Post by rizu »

Nice work so far! I tested your game and play controls seemed very polished. Especially response to movement was really good. For final game I'd wish there were at least some illusion of rotation for the sphere, it's planned already right? Also I wouldn't mind if things got into turbo-mode more often, at slower speeds controlling seemed little too easy.

I did get a crash when trying to first use OpenGL version, logs are attached. On DX9 I got very solid performace, I was running 1920x1200 with AA on level 8 I got 230-250fps, with 1680x1050 and without AA I got 340-385fps. Running with i7 920@2.6ghz + GTX285.
Attachments
logs.zip
(8.04 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Works :) Here my FPS stats:

Menu: 3800 FPS
Lvl1: 370 FPS
Lvl2: 440 FPS
Lvl3: 430 FPS (you can't see the countdown here [black numbers on black ground], so them white if the background colors stays as it is)

Rough PC specs:
Intel Quadcore Q6600 ( 4 x 2,4 GHz)
4G RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
1280 x 1024
Standard Ogre Direct3D settings

Generally: The game is fun (although I am no really good at it, so no way beating your highscore, only git 43secs). However, I don't like the crash visualization. Looks like kind of an unfinished placeholder. I think that some particles could enhace the effect...

EDIT: Crashes here as well in OpenGL mode (only 2080 FPS in menu with it ;) ). My logs look similar to the ones uploaded above).
Last edited by spacegaier on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

That's really really cool. At first I thought the gameplay sounded a bit dull, but you've tweaked it really nicely.
The music is totally wrong though as you probably know ;)
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I like the music! Think it fits quite well. The slow brass at the beginning while the countdown and then the fast moving bits :)
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Thanks for the fast feedback! :)

Since Vectrex and spacegaier don't like respectively the music and the crash effect, how do other people feel about these? Any suggestions for changes, in case you don't like it?

The framerate is looking really good, so far! Even though these all seem to be very fast GPUs. :)

I guess I can just remove the OpenGL support, since for the moment this is a Windows version anyway.
My dev blog
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

40s level was great but it would be nice if the ball could ride little bit faster but the other lvels are really hard but the game is really kewl thumbs up.
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

Oogst wrote:Thanks for the fast feedback! :)

Since Vectrex and spacegaier don't like respectively the music and the crash effect, how do other people feel about these? Any suggestions for changes, in case you don't like it?

The framerate is looking really good, so far! Even though these all seem to be very fast GPUs. :)

I guess I can just remove the OpenGL support, since for the moment this is a Windows version anyway.
The game style reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyJfHU4G ... re=related
I personally would love that music but no-one else would ;)

This old electronic track from 1994 would fit. I feel like it should be kind of scary sounding and tension building. Not like lounge music :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xko4qzTK148
The filmclip is in a similar trippy vain too
Praetorian
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Praetorian »

Very nice, I like it! I got like 44-45 seconds at best.

On a 9800GTX+ and a Q9550 (4 x 2.83 GHz), with the settings set to 'very high' at 1280x1024 and with 8x anti-aliasing, I got a bit over 200 fps on average (300 with it at 'high').

I thought the music fit alright (though I think Vectrex's suggestion would fit pretty well), and I agree that the crash effect needs some work (maybe some particles, or some color? It looked sorta odd when I crashed into something that was black or white).
My Google summer of code 2011 topic: Unit Testing Framework
My Google summer of code thread
My Google summer of code wiki page
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Ran it in battery mode. I'll run it again later plugged in and report the framerate. The game itself is fun but hard.
Game Development, Engine Development, Porting
http://www.darkwindmedia.com
Pyritie
Gnome

Post by Pyritie »

ogl doesn't work for me either.

Also is it supposed to look like this for me? I can hardly see in front of myself.

EDIT: Okay, if I turn the graphics down to medium (why medium, high, very high? Why not low/med/high?) then it works fine.

I'm using a 8600M GT, 512MB (laptop :P)

Okay, some more feedback.

Level 1:
Near the end of the big tube spinny thingy the "ship" obstructs your view so you can't really see ahead of you here.
Why does the ship start spinning around the track when you go into superspeed before that big red triangle?

Level 2:
It's long.
I think a lot of the obstacles you made just go on for too long. More shorter "areas" with an obstacle type would be better than what you have at the moment, I think.
Near the end of those cone-things, they just get too tight. I get you have to hold down left/right there but it's just... yeah. Kinda frustrating if you get stuck there.
Before the superspeed portion there's a black line thing which I can go right though. Intentional?
Those blocks that move are a bit hard to tell where they are moving towards. Some sort of visual indication would be nice.
I use Mogre, BulletSharp, LuaNetInterface, irrKlang, and Miyagi! | Ponykart (Showcase)