Call for mentors 2010! (rescinded, we're not in GSoC 2010)

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Call for mentors 2010! (rescinded, we're not in GSoC 2010)

Post by sinbad »

The organisation application process for the Google Summer of Code 2010 is going to be starting soon, and therefore this is a good time to start rustling up mentors for this year in the hope that we'll be accepted again.

Being a mentor is very rewarding and is a great way to contribute to the OGRE project in an alternative way; by guiding and assisting students to do some great work with it over the summer holidays instead of getting a far less interesting job somewhere else. ;)

If you're interested in being a mentor, here's what you'll need:
  • A proven track record with Ogre - in practice that means you've been around for probably 2+ years and have been active in the community
  • An interest in passing on your skills to others and helping them to achieve the best they can
  • Time and patience - you'll need a minimum of 5 hours available a week, a little more at crunch times
  • Reliability - you need to be available to your student consistently for the whole summer, and will need to meet review deadlines
In return:
  • You'll have been involved in probably the most remarkable open source internship programme around
  • You'll gain experience in guiding more junior developers
  • You'll make a new friend (probably, assuming you and the student get along which is usually the case)
  • You can legitimately drop the killer line "I'm a mentor" at parties*
  • Mentors receive US$500 at the end of the programme (although if that got your attention, you're not the right person)
*Actual social impact may vary.

Please see the programme timeline and the FAQ for more information.

If you're interested, drop me a line in this thread or at my email sinbad@youknowtoremovethisbynow.ogre3d.org .
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: Call for mentors 2010!

Post by tuan kuranes »

I'm in.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: Call for mentors 2010!

Post by Noman »

Sign me up!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: Call for mentors 2010! (rescinded, we're not in GSoC 201

Post by sinbad »

Unfortunately we weren't accepted this year, so this thread is no longer applicable.

I'm sad for our potential students and Noman as a new mentor, but maybe there will be other opportunities in future. We had 4 years in a row which was great, maybe it's someone elses turn now - to be fair Google had 4x the number of applications they could accept.