What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
- syedhs
- Silver Sponsor

- Posts: 2703
- Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:24 pm
- Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- x 51
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
Webinar does make me cringe - A LOT. Lonewolf, it is impressive you read my mind by getting correctly the top 5 most detestable tech-word (by me
).
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
- DanielSefton
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1235
- Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:36 am
- Location: Mountain View, CA
- x 10
- Contact:
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
TWAIN drivers for scanners.
(Technology Without An Interesting Name
)
(Technology Without An Interesting Name
- KungFooMasta
- OGRE Contributor

- Posts: 2087
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:11 am
- Location: WA, USA
- x 16
- Contact:
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
+1 on the 'cloud'. I hear it used so much, its just a nebulous term now that means anything. 
Creator of QuickGUI!
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
As a European I've always pronounced Euler as 'oiler' - maybe being close to Germany helps... 
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- Klaim
- Old One
- Posts: 2565
- Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:04 am
- Location: Paris, France
- x 56
- Contact:
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
+1 cloud
+1 web 2.0
"Next gen" and "HD" used in product names just for the "hype".
+1 web 2.0
"Next gen" and "HD" used in product names just for the "hype".
- Kojack
- OGRE Moderator

- Posts: 7157
- Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
- Location: Brisbane, Australia
- x 538
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
You mean an oiropean?As a European I've always pronounced Euler as 'oiler' - maybe being close to Germany helps
-
reptor
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1120
- Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:41 pm
- Location: Finland
- x 5
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
Both versions are used here. I just picked one without thinking about it much and did as direct a translation to English as I could. This is what happens often between cultures. The language used may be correct but that's not how you usually say it so it seems strange to you. Entirely understandable. I will take the good advice and try to remember to use the more English version of the saying when having a discussion in English.MrD wrote:Never heard it said like that before, I usually hear "can't see the wood for the trees"; or if you say it in my regional accent "canna see wood fort rees".reptor wrote:"too close to the trees to see the forest"
-
reptor
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1120
- Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:41 pm
- Location: Finland
- x 5
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
jacmoe wrote:As a European I've always pronounced Euler as 'oiler' - maybe being close to Germany helps...
I didn't realise there is a problem with saying that word
Really a problem would be that people would have to understand from which language the word comes from. Without that knowledge no correct pronunciation is possible. And most of the people in the classroom had not studied German.
I don't think it matters much if Finnish people in a Finnish classroom pronounce that wrong. Nobody from the country of origin is listening
It could be a problem if we go abroad and still keep saying it like we used to say it in the Finnish classroom.
- Moohasha
- Gnoll
- Posts: 672
- Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:37 pm
- x 8
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
+1 Webinar (get invites to these ALL THE TIME at work!!)
+1 Cloud
+1 Web 2.0
And I wouldn't really call it a "tech term", but it drives me crazy to NO END when people pronounce MMORPG as if it's a word (mamorpiga)
And for people's amusement, checkout the Buzzword Generator. Great for coming up with things like:
+1 Cloud
+1 Web 2.0
And I wouldn't really call it a "tech term", but it drives me crazy to NO END when people pronounce MMORPG as if it's a word (mamorpiga)
And for people's amusement, checkout the Buzzword Generator. Great for coming up with things like:
- Future-proofed 6th generation approach
- Object-based tertiary complexity
- Enterprise-wide zero defect collaboration
Black holes are where God divided by 0
- volca
- Gnome
- Posts: 393
- Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:57 pm
- x 1
- Contact:
- MrD
- Goblin
- Posts: 292
- Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:16 pm
- Location: England
- x 1
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
It is.JustBoo wrote:"Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?"
‹ph› is a digraph in the English Language and many other languages that represents /f/. Ph in English generally occurs in words derived from Greek, due to Latin transcription of Greek phi (Φ φ) as ‹ph›. In Ancient Greek, this letter originally represented /pʰ/.
Insimnax Framework - A game framework for OGRE
-
reptor
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1120
- Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:41 pm
- Location: Finland
- x 5
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
philosophy = filosofia in Finnish
- MrD
- Goblin
- Posts: 292
- Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:16 pm
- Location: England
- x 1
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
Are you saying you read "ph" as "f"? If so then that is correct.JustBoo wrote:I've read this before. It doesn't "fly" in the US. We read "F" as the ph sound.
To be fair, even if you're not, I'm not going to take pronunciation advice from a country that has yet to learn how to correctly pronounce the letter 'Z'.
Insimnax Framework - A game framework for OGRE
- Moohasha
- Gnoll
- Posts: 672
- Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:37 pm
- x 8
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
Black holes are where God divided by 0
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
'European' is an English world, so obviously not.Kojack wrote:You mean an oiropean?As a European I've always pronounced Euler as 'oiler' - maybe being close to Germany helps
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- bvanevery
- Goblin
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:54 am
- Location: Asheville, NC
- x 7
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
"Rich." As in "rich multimedia," "rich application controls," "rich development environment." GMAFB. Usually it's uttered by some MS Evangelist. It's meaningless marketspeak designed to give mid-level managers some kind of warm squishy state-of-the-art / buzzword compliance feeling inside, without actually needing to have any idea what's going on. Historically, if every time MS said "rich" you translated it to "lipstick on a pig," you'd mostly be correct.
-
reptor
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1120
- Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:41 pm
- Location: Finland
- x 5
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
Oh, OK. Let's continue this thread. Not exactly tech terms, but makes me cringe.
I don't like it when people make bold statements which you know there is no real chance for it to be true.
"I would kill to get that." No you wouldn't.
"I am going to rip your head off." Really? No you wouldn't.
In sports I often see this:
"He was robbed of victory." He wasn't robbed of victory because the race was still on and nobody had been granted a victory yet so no robbing of a victory was possible.
And this (in motor sports often heard):
"He destroyed the others." Um, destroyed? Really? No.
In general when I see "robbed" and "destroyed" used in the English/American media, or discussions, I don't like it. The thing is, it sounds wrong to say that. Thinking of my native language I've never ever heard anyone commentate on a sports event like that. Maybe it happened but I didn't hear it. When I listen to English I hear it often. I don't like these kinds of overly negative (or positive) statements. In my opinion it feeds the hysteria surrounding the subject of the discussion - and reduces the likelihood of the discussion being sensible.
I don't like it when people make bold statements which you know there is no real chance for it to be true.
"I would kill to get that." No you wouldn't.
"I am going to rip your head off." Really? No you wouldn't.
In sports I often see this:
"He was robbed of victory." He wasn't robbed of victory because the race was still on and nobody had been granted a victory yet so no robbing of a victory was possible.
And this (in motor sports often heard):
"He destroyed the others." Um, destroyed? Really? No.
In general when I see "robbed" and "destroyed" used in the English/American media, or discussions, I don't like it. The thing is, it sounds wrong to say that. Thinking of my native language I've never ever heard anyone commentate on a sports event like that. Maybe it happened but I didn't hear it. When I listen to English I hear it often. I don't like these kinds of overly negative (or positive) statements. In my opinion it feeds the hysteria surrounding the subject of the discussion - and reduces the likelihood of the discussion being sensible.
- KungFooMasta
- OGRE Contributor

- Posts: 2087
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:11 am
- Location: WA, USA
- x 16
- Contact:
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
I interpret those kind of statements as a short-hand way of saying something.
"Robbing" is to take away somebody's opportunity to win. Ie that person would have won, except something got in the way and prevents said person from winning. He was robbed!
"Destroying" the competition. He eliminated any chance of other players preventing a victory.
Your other statements are related to sarcasm. You shouldn't always literally translate the message, but understand people are trying to express something, and might not express it in the most accurate way, or take the time to think of how to best express themselves.
"Robbing" is to take away somebody's opportunity to win. Ie that person would have won, except something got in the way and prevents said person from winning. He was robbed!
"Destroying" the competition. He eliminated any chance of other players preventing a victory.
Your other statements are related to sarcasm. You shouldn't always literally translate the message, but understand people are trying to express something, and might not express it in the most accurate way, or take the time to think of how to best express themselves.
Creator of QuickGUI!
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
You need to be wearing your cultural glasses.reptor wrote:Oh, OK. Let's continue this thread. Not exactly tech terms, but makes me cringe.
I don't like it when people make bold statements which you know there is no real chance for it to be true.
"I would kill to get that." No you wouldn't.
"I am going to rip your head off." Really? No you wouldn't.
I mean: take the word 'fuck', for instance.
(Pardon my French, guys)
If you were to take that literally...
We just have to accept that words means different things to different people.
Take for instance Danish versus Swedish (I'm Danish, my wife is Swedish):
In Denmark we use the word 'use' about people: we could 'use' him, 'use' me, etc.
In Swedish it translates to 'take advantage of' because you generally 'use' things in Sweden, not people.
To 'use' a person is considered rude.
We don't have that distinction in Danish.
So, you need to understand the culture.
Can you translate idioms ?
No. You can't.
You need to understand the culture to 'get' it.
I could die for a cup of coffee right now - so BRB.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- bvanevery
- Goblin
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:54 am
- Location: Asheville, NC
- x 7
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
Well, he could have been robbed, if his opponent was victorious due to an illegal move, and the referee didn't call it. Sometimes that's what they're saying. But yes, oftentimes they're just speaking in a sloppy manner and I see your point.reptor wrote: In sports I often see this:
"He was robbed of victory." He wasn't robbed of victory because the race was still on and nobody had been granted a victory yet so no robbing of a victory was possible.
- bvanevery
- Goblin
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:54 am
- Location: Asheville, NC
- x 7
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
It might make an amusing short game, or short animation.jacmoe wrote:I could die for a cup of coffee right now - so BRB.
- bvanevery
- Goblin
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:54 am
- Location: Asheville, NC
- x 7
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
I see Paul Hogan having us on. I heard that this phrase has no basis in Australian culture whatsoever.JustBoo wrote:Introducing the new Anthropology Metaphor Game. Match the metaphor to the culture that produced it. For example, "Put a shrimp on the Barbie." In my mind, I see a Barbie doll getting humped by a craven aquatic shrimp.
-
reptor
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1120
- Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:41 pm
- Location: Finland
- x 5
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
I see it often used of situations when someone, for example in car racing, someone overtakes another driver for the lead and goes on to win the race. Then the one who got overtaken is said to have been robbed of victory. Which is non-sense. But it seems to be quite common for the English-speaking reporters to write like that. I just think the reporters, who usually have a degree in journalism, could write better articles than that.bvanevery wrote:Well, he could have been robbed, if his opponent was victorious due to an illegal move, and the referee didn't call it. Sometimes that's what they're saying. But yes, oftentimes they're just speaking in a sloppy manner and I see your point.reptor wrote: In sports I often see this:
"He was robbed of victory." He wasn't robbed of victory because the race was still on and nobody had been granted a victory yet so no robbing of a victory was possible.
The one who "was robbed" was not entitled to the win any more than the other person who actually won. Therefore I consider it slightly an offensive tone in the news articles reporting sports events. I would appreciate more balanced reporting of sports events. I can go to on-line discussion forums to read the partisan comments. I would rather separate those from the news articles.
-
reptor
- Ogre Magi
- Posts: 1120
- Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:41 pm
- Location: Finland
- x 5
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
jacmoe wrote:We just have to accept that words means different things to different people.
Great.
However, for example about pointing out incorrect use of the word "robbed". It is a very well-defined word. If nobody was robbed then nobody was robbed
Yeah, I don't like to speak like that. Other people choose to speak like that. I reserve the right to tell them what I think about it
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Re: What 'Tech Terms' make you cringe?
You still don't get it, do you ?reptor wrote:Yeah, I don't like to speak like that. Other people choose to speak like that. I reserve the right to tell them what I think about it
'Robbed' in this context means 'deprived' (I think) - and you need to see this without your Finnish glasses on. Choose a pair of American RayBans instead.
Otherwise, your comments are void.
It's like the difference between the Danish meaning of the word 'use' and the Swedish meaning of that same word.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
