3D models from photos (new intel technology)

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Post Reply
User avatar
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Carinthia, Austria
x 1

3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Post by stoneCold »

Just a new cool technology from intel, which I just discovered on the webs...


The video at intel.com: http://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/ ... 3d-models/

The goal of the project is to make it easy for amateurs to create relatively detailed 3D models.
Kind of cool, for what it's worth.

Discuss :)
my tweets | www.fuse-software.com | home of vektrix (Flash GUI for Ogre3D) and caspin (ActionScript 3 Virtual Machine Wrapper)
User avatar
Pyritie
Gnome
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: UK
x 8
Contact:

Re: 3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Post by Pyritie »

could be useful as a starting point
I use Mogre, BulletSharp, LuaNetInterface, irrKlang, and Miyagi! | Ponykart (Showcase)
Image
User avatar
chaosavy
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:29 pm
x 64
Contact:

Re: 3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Post by chaosavy »

also could lead to a lot of security applications, who needs passwords when you still have your face attached and if you don't then you have bigger problems then checking your email.
Visit http://www.VoidDestroyer.com to check out my space sim project - Void Destroyer
User avatar
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
x 18
Contact:

Re: 3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Post by PolyVox »

Ok, I didn't watch the whole video, but it looks pretty similar to the open source software "Insight3D". You can get it here: http://insight3d.sourceforge.net/

I've took a bunch of photos of various statues, etc, while I was travelling, but I haven't got around to processing them so I can't say how well it works...
User avatar
milliams
Gremlin
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:47 am
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Contact:

Re: 3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Post by milliams »

This looks a lot like the work that was done by the guys at GRAIL on Bundler which ended being used in the Microsoft Photo Tourism thing. I'm yet to actually get any of it working but it all looks very cool.
Post Reply