Proun - OUT NOW!

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Proun

Post by spacegaier »

I am not sure whether we are talking of the same. Of course there are gradients (that what creates the 3D illusion), but to me it looks strange here that the back of the ball is brighter than the equator, that's all.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

spacegaier wrote:I am not sure whether we are talking of the same. Of course there are gradients (that what creates the 3D illusion), but to me it looks strange here that the back of the ball is brighter than the equator, that's all.
Ah, okay, sorry. The lighting setup for this scene has two light sources, one less bright than the other, but it still means that spheres get a backlight and a front light. That is totally deliberate here, because there is no up or down and no ground that things stand on, so otherwise the player would look at boring dark sides of objects too much.
My dev blog
Awesomenauts: platforming MOBA (PC/Mac/Linux/XBox360/X1/PS3/PS4)
Blightbound: coop online dungeon crawler (PC)
Swords & Soldiers: side-scrolling RTS (Switch/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac/Linux/iPhone/iPad/Android)
Proun: abstract racing game (PC)
Cello Fortress: mixing game and live cello performance
The Ageless Gate: cello album
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Okay, already thought that there then needs to be more than one single light source. Than this "belt effect" makes sense.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Woohoo, first in-game screenshots of the graphics of the second track! Previous shots were made using 3dsmax, while this is actually in the game. Still needs lots of polishing, but overal, this track is definitely getting there. :)

My dev blog
Swords & Soldiers: side-scrolling RTS (Switch/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac/Linux/iPhone/iPad/Android)
skullfire
Gremlin

Post by skullfire »

Mad screenshots Oogst, game is so fun and visually appealing at the same time. I wish you the best of luck!
I may have alzheimer, but at least I dont have alzheimer.
dudeabot
Gnome

Post by dudeabot »

wow only getting better!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Great shots, really nicely done.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I really like the style, photo-realistic abstract.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

A first concept shot of the third and final track of Proun. I have not done any gameplay for this one yet: I chose to start with the colours and shapes instead.

Keywords for track 3: green, spikey, no-outlines, rhythmic gameplay

Not doing any outlines makes it more difficult to make these shapes work visually, so instead I subtly chamfered their edges. Slightly rounding edges this way adds highlights on the edges through lighting, thus accentuating the shapes more. :)
My dev blog
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

They look like coloured wood pieces. Wonderful! No changes needed for my taste.
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

Looks SO good. Awesome color sense.
Oogst wrote:Keywords for track 3: green, spikey, no-outlines, rhythmic gameplay)
It would be awesome if the obstacles timed with the beat! 1/3 1/2 it would make Proun part rhythm game (if it wasn't in the plan already, of course). :)
MrD
Goblin

Post by MrD »

Looking good. In my head it makes me think of racing through some different coloured fence panels :)
Insimnax Framework - A game framework for OGRE
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Thanks folks! :D
metaldev wrote:...
It would be awesome if the obstacles timed with the beat! 1/3 1/2 it would make Proun part rhythm game (if it wasn't in the plan already, of course). :)
Hmm, interesting! I was actually planning to put rhythm in the obstacles by putting their distances in beats, like left-right-straight-left-right-straight-right-right-straight (that's a 9/8 ;)). The way to do this is by keeping the distances between the obstacles the same. Timing that to the beat is actually a very interesting idea! Problem is that I have four different speed settings (the difficulty levels) and three songs at each slightly different speeds, so I don't think I can actually implement your idea. Would be cool though! :D
My dev blog
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

You could alter the speed of your songs. Have a look at BassFX. It will also adjust the tone so that the song won't become higher when played faster. I once made a little music playing tool with adjustable BPM with it: http://www.un4seen.com/
chaosavy
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by chaosavy »

wow looks really great!

I can clearly see/feel the speed of the background moving, but have you given any thought on how to convey that same feeling to the player sphere? I think the there is a bit of a loss of the sensation of movement due to the camera being so totaly focused and aligned with the sphere.
Visit http://www.VoidDestroyer.com to check out my space sim project - Void Destroyer
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

chaosavy wrote:...
I can clearly see/feel the speed of the background moving, but have you given any thought on how to convey that same feeling to the player sphere? I think the there is a bit of a loss of the sensation of movement due to the camera being so totaly focused and aligned with the sphere.
I agree that the sphere is a bit too static. I added rolling to it to make this a bit better, but this only works at low speed, because the rolling is way too fast to be anything but noise on higher speeds. The rolling is not yet in the beta version that is online, by the way.

The problem with doing something with the camera is that the game already causes nausea for some people as it is. Making the camera more dynamic will very probably make it more sickening as well.
spacegaier wrote:You could alter the speed of your songs. Have a look at BassFX. It will also adjust the tone so that the song won't become higher when played faster. I once made a little music playing tool with adjustable BPM with it: http://www.un4seen.com/
Technically, I think that would be a good solution. :) But, although theoratically this sounds like a good idea, in practice, I think that changing the speed this way is not. Modifying real instruments by more than 10% sounds terrible. Also, while composing the songs, I chose their speeds based on what sounds best. Increasing or decreasing the speed would kind of decrease their groove.
My dev blog
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

@ oogst
hahahaha, finishing something is the hardest... its full of double-binds!
that last inch is a f***ing mile!
good luck oogst! ^_^ i think it will be great in the end (as its already looking very good and playing well).
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Opinions needed: should the first track consist of 4 or 5 laps?

It is 5 in the beta (around 4 minutes on Easy for a beginner), but during a showcase event I tuned it down to 4, because people reacted like it was slightly too long. However, at events, people have less time, so I don't know whether that is relevant for the downloadable game. So, what do you folks think? Should it be 4 or 5 laps?
My dev blog
Ruud v A
Gremlin

Post by Ruud v A »

Four. Four is already much for a track. I would recommend three or less. If the gameplay is too short you should make the track longer or movement slower (although I thing you should change neither of these). If you have to do the same track over and over again it becomes boring. I personally prefer shorter games that you can play more often than one long game.
toglia
Gnome

Post by toglia »

The look is absolutely amazing!

Has anybody suggested maybe you could give a little bit more flexibility to the camera movement? Judging without much thought looks a bit rigid. I know the pace of the game is quite fast and maybe your trying to avoid camera collisions but maybe a tiny spring flexibility could bring a softer game-play...

My 2 cents...

Anyway. Looks very interesting and cool! Wanna play it! :D Something about it reminds me of an indie game I saw some time ago, its called flower. They give this look that makes me dribble.
http://thatgamecompany.com/games/flower/
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

toglia wrote:...
Has anybody suggested maybe you could give a little bit more flexibility to the camera movement? Judging without much thought looks a bit rigid. I know the pace of the game is quite fast and maybe your trying to avoid camera collisions but maybe a tiny spring flexibility could bring a softer game-play...
The camera movement indeed looks uncommonly rigid, games usually smoothen that out. However, the problem of camera smoothing is that it adds extra movement and makes the camera slightly lagging on your input, which causes nausea. The more connection there is between players pressing buttons and movement in the game, the less sickening it is. In normal games this is not a problem, but because in Proun there is no up or down, people get sick a lot quicker in Proun than in other games. So I removed any camera smoothing and linked the camera directly to the player movement. This works very well, actually: the number of people who get too sick to play is very low compared to what I expected (but still higher than in normal games). 8)
Anyway. Looks very interesting and cool! Wanna play it! :D Something about it reminds me of an indie game I saw some time ago, its called flower. They give this look that makes me dribble.
http://thatgamecompany.com/games/flower/
Wow, being compared to Flower is a great compliment! I absolutely love Flower! :D
My dev blog
sarcacid
Gnoblar

Post by sarcacid »

Just tried out the beta. Great graphical style!

Have you considered shaking the camera when the player collides with an object? I feel like it would give more weight to the impacts. Right now they feel somewhat insubstantial.
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Camera shakes when you crash into something are already in, actually. I kept such effects pretty subtle to reduce the chance of nausea: since the camera is constantly rotating, I had to take extra precautions to keep motion sickness from becoming too much of an issue.

By the way, the beta also lacks sound effects. These have a big impact on the feel of weight as well. :)
My dev blog
Xypher
Gremlin

Post by Xypher »

I finally grabbed your beta and its sweet!
Definitely agree with you on the sound effects needing to be present. I made a few pro-bono for RoadKillGrill's https://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic ... 64&start=0 Zombie Game. They haven't yet been implemented for the download version, but might be soon! It'll be my zombie moan and player pain sounds debut! lol

I'd be happy to engineer some sfx for you if you like, just mail me a list or get with me on gtalk. :)
Ubuntu Studio 13.04 64-bit
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws (PC3-12800)
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

http://www.hellbatgames.com
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Thanks for the offer! However, the sound effects have already been made: the beta is just pretty old and doesn't have them yet. :) Ammo made them, and is producing my songs for the soundtrack with real instruments. Sounds a lot better with real saxophones! :D

BTW, what is "gtalk"?
My dev blog