More build profile

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
andykoo
Gnoblar

More build profile

Post by andykoo »

Hi.

I see recent version of Ogre has 4 build settings :
Debug
Release
MinSizeRel
RelWithDebInfo

In addition to them, how about one more build configuration named 'Distribution' ?
Sometimes we need extra build mode for customer version to use same(or different, sometimes) binary with 'Release', but making little differences in some other things like code signing, packaging, sw lock, post build tasks and so on.
For example, iphone developers need 'Distribution' build mode to codesign for distribution, and still 'Release' build mode is needed since the profile for distribution doesn't allow its binary manually installed on devices for testing.
As well as iphone, on many other platform including windows PC, many professional developers use separate 'Distribution' build mode as they need to run special batch process which is required for distribution version only.
Of course it is not hard to make one for myself and I've already done it, but I guess it would be better if official version has it in built since it seems kinda common need I believe. :)
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: More build profile

Post by xavier »

It sounds like it's only necessary for the handhelds -- PC builds already have this "distribution" build with the "Release" config in that list (RelWithDebInfo is the same opt level as Release, with PDB or DWARF symbols included).

That said, there seems to be more and more handheld builds supported natively with Ogre...
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
andykoo
Gnoblar

Post by andykoo »

RelWithDebInfo?
I don't think that's for customers but supposed to be used when program shows bug in release build, isn't it?
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

I didn't say it was for customers -- I pointed it out as one of the (currently) three different Release build configs Ogre will make. On PC, the "Release" config is sufficient for "distribution", was my point.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
andykoo
Gnoblar

Post by andykoo »

oh I'm sorry xavier, I misread what you wrote. Maybe I need some sleep. :D
I just have compared size of two binaries from Release and RelWithDebInfo, and I see they are different.
I still doubt, isn't such difference(like addressing difference) enough to show or hide some nasty bugs like memory overrun?
I've experienced such case before, actually many times, then I started to believe it's necessary to test exactly same module as QA target.
I'm not forcing ogre team to add it, as I said I've already done it for my own project and not needed anymore.
I have seen the 'Distribution' build option on many other projects also, so I believe that's not only my delusion but is common sense for some developers, so just suggesting why not. :)