so I've been working on a Frankenstein thing for a few weeks now using OGRE, Qt and betajean's beastie. i eventually want to release it as an open source software;
so i thought "if I'm gonna make it free and when i'll upload it it will be only about half done, i wouldn't really need to worry about license stuff yet".
but its the internet - that cant be a good idea...
i don't really have the slightest idea about licenses- i usually just ignore them. what license should i use? do i need to do anything other than write the license stuff on the beginning of all the files?
i gather both OGRE uses MIT (correct?) and Qt uses LGPL (correct?) .. does this raise any issues?
licenses.. n' stuff
- JaJDoo
- Gnome
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 pm
- x 5
licenses.. n' stuff
some post from somewhere:
"So you basically want to make a car without a steering wheel because you don't know how to drive. I'd say learn how to use pointers"
"So you basically want to make a car without a steering wheel because you don't know how to drive. I'd say learn how to use pointers"
-
haltendehand
- Halfling
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:44 pm
- Location: Freiburg, Germany
- Contact:
Re: licenses.. n' stuff
It doesn't raise any issues(you just need to say somewhere that Ogre and Qt were used[for example in the readme]) , and I would suggest to publish your program under the GPL or the LGPL license.
- JaJDoo
- Gnome
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 pm
- x 5
Re: licenses.. n' stuff
something i wonder.. to "release under a license" simply means to inform the 'customer' that its under that license? no other action involved?haltendehand wrote:It doesn't raise any issues(you just need to say somewhere that Ogre and Qt were used[for example in the readme]) , and I would suggest to publish your program under the GPL or the LGPL license.
some post from somewhere:
"So you basically want to make a car without a steering wheel because you don't know how to drive. I'd say learn how to use pointers"
"So you basically want to make a car without a steering wheel because you don't know how to drive. I'd say learn how to use pointers"
-
haltendehand
- Halfling
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:44 pm
- Location: Freiburg, Germany
- Contact:
Re: licenses.. n' stuff
No, that are the conditions of MIT&LGPL
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Re: licenses.. n' stuff
If you are dynamically linking to Qt, then you can choose whatever license you want.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.