Why do you do what you do?
- nikki
- Old One
- Posts: 2730
- Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:08 am
- Location: San Francisco
- x 13
- Contact:
- spacegaier
- OGRE Team Member

- Posts: 4308
- Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:02 pm
- Location: Germany
- x 137
- Contact:
Re: Why do you do what you do?
In general: Because I like it
!!!
Games / 3D: I am currently making my living in the business software area and then it's nice to have some totally different kind of programming for your free time. Different in the sense of:
- C++/PHP vs. ABAP
- art vs. business
- employee vs. own ideas / creations
- deadlines vs. "when it's done"
- fixed rules vs. creativity
Open source involvement: Yes, I am part of the Ogitor development team. Why? Because I like the idea of that particular tool
.
Open source in general: Yes, because it might help others to perhaps see how some things can be done and improve their own skills and offers ways to quickly interact / help on a coding level or continue abandoned developments. I learned quite a bit about coding through stuff other people did, so I want to give something back. That's also why I engage here in the community and help on the wiki by creating tutorials / articles (e.g. the one on RTT or my Basic / Advanced Ogre Framework). I just want to help others, as others have helped me when trying to get started with coding in general and later here with Ogre. But I also was called "dumb" for that attitude (like "Why do you do that [= contribute back]? It doesn't help you at all! Try to improve your skills and not play the guide for others!"). But as you can guess: That's not my attitude
...
Games / 3D: I am currently making my living in the business software area and then it's nice to have some totally different kind of programming for your free time. Different in the sense of:
- C++/PHP vs. ABAP
- art vs. business
- employee vs. own ideas / creations
- deadlines vs. "when it's done"
- fixed rules vs. creativity
Open source involvement: Yes, I am part of the Ogitor development team. Why? Because I like the idea of that particular tool
Open source in general: Yes, because it might help others to perhaps see how some things can be done and improve their own skills and offers ways to quickly interact / help on a coding level or continue abandoned developments. I learned quite a bit about coding through stuff other people did, so I want to give something back. That's also why I engage here in the community and help on the wiki by creating tutorials / articles (e.g. the one on RTT or my Basic / Advanced Ogre Framework). I just want to help others, as others have helped me when trying to get started with coding in general and later here with Ogre. But I also was called "dumb" for that attitude (like "Why do you do that [= contribute back]? It doesn't help you at all! Try to improve your skills and not play the guide for others!"). But as you can guess: That's not my attitude
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
- Klaim
- Old One
- Posts: 2565
- Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:04 am
- Location: Paris, France
- x 56
- Contact:
- mkultra333
- Gold Sponsor

- Posts: 1894
- Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:25 am
- x 116
Re: Why do you do what you do?
I ask the "Why am I writing a computer game?" question every day, usually in the form of "Jeez, why do I bother?" I'd like to make a game to sell, but the reality is one mediocre mind with "programmer art" design skills and zero budget can't possibly compete with teams of 50 genius specialists with millions of dollars of resources and millions more for marketing.
And so I ask myself, "Why am I writing a computer game?" I've decided there are two answers.
First up, it's just a raw, irrational drive. A brute desire to create something, a work of art. Crap art? Probably, but that doesn't make the drive, the need, any less real. I'd be miserable if I didn't have this outlet.
Secondly, it isn't inconcievable that it could be financially successful, simply because my definition of financial success is so low. Sure, other games make millions of dollars, but they need to. A lot of them could sell a hundreds of thousands of copies and still be a financial failure and not cover the cost of investment. I need only sell a few thousand and I'd be thrilled. Still a longshot, but not impossible. Even if it doesn't make money, it might catch the attention of someone who can give me the type of programming job I'd like.
As for making it open source, I really like the idea of open source. People should be allowed to tweak programs to be exactly the way they want them, not just via a few preference settings but also by altering the fundamental code. Although it'll probably work against me... I doubt Steam agrees to sell open source software (since it'd reveal how steam interacts with the code) and I'm not sure PC gamers bother looking anywhere else.
And so I ask myself, "Why am I writing a computer game?" I've decided there are two answers.
First up, it's just a raw, irrational drive. A brute desire to create something, a work of art. Crap art? Probably, but that doesn't make the drive, the need, any less real. I'd be miserable if I didn't have this outlet.
Secondly, it isn't inconcievable that it could be financially successful, simply because my definition of financial success is so low. Sure, other games make millions of dollars, but they need to. A lot of them could sell a hundreds of thousands of copies and still be a financial failure and not cover the cost of investment. I need only sell a few thousand and I'd be thrilled. Still a longshot, but not impossible. Even if it doesn't make money, it might catch the attention of someone who can give me the type of programming job I'd like.
As for making it open source, I really like the idea of open source. People should be allowed to tweak programs to be exactly the way they want them, not just via a few preference settings but also by altering the fundamental code. Although it'll probably work against me... I doubt Steam agrees to sell open source software (since it'd reveal how steam interacts with the code) and I'm not sure PC gamers bother looking anywhere else.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
- JaJDoo
- Gnome
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 pm
- x 5
Re: Why do you do what you do?
i'm unemployed and academy wont start till October.......
on a more serious note, i like solving problems. when i don't have a problem, i create it, and then solve it. i'm not crazy, think about it - you make a mass out of your puzzle pieces so you could take the time to rebuild it; you take a harder difficulty when a game feels too easy.
that makes some development issues when i need to set new goals.
i like the satisfaction of staring at something i made - seeing how the gears turn and something doing exactly what i programmed it to do. i guess its in the genes - you will always be proud of something you've done by yourself.
on a more serious note, i like solving problems. when i don't have a problem, i create it, and then solve it. i'm not crazy, think about it - you make a mass out of your puzzle pieces so you could take the time to rebuild it; you take a harder difficulty when a game feels too easy.
that makes some development issues when i need to set new goals.
i like the satisfaction of staring at something i made - seeing how the gears turn and something doing exactly what i programmed it to do. i guess its in the genes - you will always be proud of something you've done by yourself.
some post from somewhere:
"So you basically want to make a car without a steering wheel because you don't know how to drive. I'd say learn how to use pointers"
"So you basically want to make a car without a steering wheel because you don't know how to drive. I'd say learn how to use pointers"
- emarcotte
- Kobold
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:05 pm
- Location: Anywhere but here
- Contact:
Re: Why do you do what you do?
I write code for my day job for some business intelligence software. It is actually a liability to my personal development (in the sense of me developing new skills), I think. Business isn't going to just start pushing in new technological directions just to see what can be done. So, to keep myself appraised of how things are done I mess around with whatever I think looks interesting.
3d graphics are cool. I started with OpenGL, now Ogre. Javascript/SVG/Canvas/etc are all cool I'll play with those. Playing with things is the only way I can think of to get any experience in these other tools. Work certainly isn't going to have need for them...
Plus its fun to have your own ideas develop into something tangible. Programming for other people is alright, but the ideas are much less "your own."
3d graphics are cool. I started with OpenGL, now Ogre. Javascript/SVG/Canvas/etc are all cool I'll play with those. Playing with things is the only way I can think of to get any experience in these other tools. Work certainly isn't going to have need for them...
Plus its fun to have your own ideas develop into something tangible. Programming for other people is alright, but the ideas are much less "your own."
- razi
- Greenskin
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:54 pm
- Location: Slovakia
- x 17
Re: Why do you do what you do?
Im just a student but after I finish university I want to be experienced programmer and this is the most enjoyable way of learning it. Besides, I have a dream of some sort, and I wont stop until I make it real. 
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Re: Why do you do what you do?
I do this because I like to solve puzzles. 
Graphics programming is very cool because it can be like interactive fiction - well, at times. Good times.
Some times, though --- I really don't know why on Earth I'm doing it..
I guess it's because of those glorious moments *when everything just falls into place*
Graphics programming is very cool because it can be like interactive fiction - well, at times. Good times.
Some times, though --- I really don't know why on Earth I'm doing it..
I guess it's because of those glorious moments *when everything just falls into place*
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.