OgreModelConfigurator version 0.1 released

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

OgreModelConfigurator version 0.1 released

Post by zhk_tiger »

OgreModelConfigurator is a tool to view and configure ogre mesh, particle, sound and event.
Currently, only mesh and skeleton animation viewer functions can be used. Now it looks very similar to LexiViewer.
This tool is under LGPL license and runs on Windows.

You can download full source code here : http://code.google.com/p/ogremodelconfigurator/
To compile it, you need Visual Studio 2008 + sp1.
OMC.jpg
( The screenshot uses a model from a Chinese MMORPG game named 天龙X部, it is famous in China. )
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: OgreModelConfigurator version 0.1 released

Post by jacmoe »

Nice work! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

jacmoe wrote:Nice work! :)
Thanks!

Seems this tool is not very welcome. But i will keep moving on, at least, it is useful to myself.

Now, bone visualizer is done. See the lovely dog:
OMC_bone.JPG
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I think it's great! :D

However, I cannot compile it because I've got Visual C++ Express - so if you could add a precompiled binary.. :)

Artist people will also need a precompiled OgreModelConfigurator.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

Sure, I should put a binary package. The recently build can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/ogremodelconfi ... loads/list

OMC requires vc 2008 sp1 runtime, which can be download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

After application window initializes OK, Click "Open" button in the "Mesh Info" panel to open a mesh file.
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

Ogre Model Configurator version 0.5 is released, it is a full install file. Now it is amlostly a "LexiViewer".
I will stop working on it for some time to do some design work on the later functions on the game requirements.

The build can be downloaded here: http://code.google.com/p/ogremodelconfi ... loads/list
Baddcog
Halfling

Post by Baddcog »

Actually looks very cool to me.

I dl'ed but have to get OgreMain.dll to use... Maybe tommorrow.

But as an artist a good viewer is deffinately needed, was using Lexi in the past but was hoping for something better. And compile is outside my vocab ;)
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

Baddcog wrote:Actually looks very cool to me.

I dl'ed but have to get OgreMain.dll to use... Maybe tommorrow.

But as an artist a good viewer is deffinately needed, was using Lexi in the past but was hoping for something better. And compile is outside my vocab ;)
Some builds are not full but patches, for a full installer, download this,
http://ogremodelconfigurator.googlecode ... /Setup.msi

And use the latest patch to patch it to the lastest version(just unrar to the folder <installed path>\bin): http://ogremodelconfigurator.googlecode ... _V0.51.rar
Baddcog
Halfling

Post by Baddcog »

Ah thanks. That did it.

Pretty cool so far. I think Drag & Drop would be great instead of having to navigate to the mesh/material.

And once I got a mesh in the window I couldn't seem to get rid of it. Other than check off the box, then it wasn't visible and I could see another mesh I had loaded.

Only played with it a minute though.
koirat
Orc

Post by koirat »

If I may ask, what it got that Lexi don't.
Can you do the list of features please.

And I also think that Drag and Drop is a must have. That's how I use LexiView. I can't switch until it also have it.

Nice feature would be, to be able to change material on a submesh, so you can test different configurations.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
AWM Mars
Halfling

Post by AWM Mars »

I'm no programmer, only a artist type, but I found this programme great to use. It feels very stable, like I can throw anything at it, surely a sign of good solid programming.
I know it's early days yet, but do you have a roadmap you can share?
Politeness is priceless when recieved, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

To koirat and AWM Mars
First, thanks for your interesting.

Our team is making a MMO game. The OMC(Ogre Model Configurator) will be used as avatar viewer and config environment. Basically it will support the following features:
1. View the mesh info(done);
2. Preview the animation(partical done, animation transition and blend will be added);
3. Attach other mesh/Skeleton mesh(example, an avatar equipped with a sword);
4. Attach particle effects;
5. Preview the skin change(include sub-mesh change and material/texture change);
6. Attach sound event at animation key-frame or at certain time;
7. Preview a whole skill effect(animation, effect and sound chain for an avatar) and export into a skill file.

So, you can see, we want the OMC to be a model studio, there are still a lot of work to do. It is still in its early age.

Currently it has most functions Lexiviewer has(some may have difference).
One reason we can not use Lexiviewer for a viewer is that Lexiviewer does no support file/folder/material/animation/texture name in locale encoding(for example, Chinese string).
Our artists are not good at English, they want to name many strings in native language. :D

As for the Drag and Drop and Hot Keys will be added in the future.
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

zhk,

We can't have enough solid viewers, thank you for offering this.
As you refine it, please do keep us updated as lexi is getting dated and is no longer being developed - particularly as jacmoe suggested, when you have updated precompiled versions let us know!
AWM Mars
Halfling

Post by AWM Mars »

Do I read your Feature List correctly, and I would be able to import and apply animations to say an avatar or mesh (skeleton)?

Until now, I've had to use a full blown modelling programme, which sometimes is like brushing your teeth with boxing gloves on. Or use Poser.. which is probably worse lol.
Politeness is priceless when recieved, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.
Baddcog
Halfling

Post by Baddcog »

One other thing I forgot to mention.

I looked at some models I made for Zero Gear.

An animated mesh I made for the map was fine. It almost filled the window when zoomed in (I think it's in meters).

However, the cars and characters are done at 0.01 scale I believe. So my car mesh was there and I could see it, but it was really tiny and I couldn't zoom in close enough.
So I suppose you coded in meters (but I'm no coder so what do I know) and was wondering if you could go smaller.

(I can supply some meshes if you want to see it for yourself but I suppose you understand what I mean anyway)
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

To metaldev
Sure, i will release new build in time when i make some "big" progerss.

To AWM Mars
I do not understand what you said very well, OMC is mostly a viewer, it can not be used to bind mesh and skeleton or create animations.
The Content Creation tools(like maya, 3ds max, etc) can not replaced by OMC.

To Bagdcog
I think i know what you said. If convenient, you can send me a "tiny" mesh with skeleton file to my email: zhk.tiger@gmail.com . Thanks.
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

A new patch is released, named OMC_V0.52.rar, the patch fixed tiny mesh problem.
Download: http://ogremodelconfigurator.googlecode ... _V0.52.rar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

Thanks for offering your nice tool ... For free use and also for the open source in LGPL :D

I tried it and the GUI is looking nice.

But I can't load my *.mesh files.
The open file dialog offers *.omc files and *.*
When switch to *.* and choose a *.mesh file, then nothing happens.

When creating a new *.omc file - I find no option to add a mesh file.
How do I use your configurator?
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

To Beauty:
OMC is not only a model viewer, i want to make it to be an avatar config environment. But sorry for the slowly update speed, i am busy with other things...

Now OMC is only a model viewer, you can open a .mesh file from 'Open File Icon' in the mesh panel.

The .omc file will be used to save environment configs in the future.
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

Now I found out the trick how to load a mesh file.
It's wrong to click open in the main menu.
Instead I have to go to the "Mesh Info" panel and there click open.

After this I have to choose the related material file.

Suggestion:
As an alternative it would be nice to be able to choose a resources.cfg file instead of a specific material file.
So all materials of a project can be loaded. So the user doesn't have to think about which file is the right one. Or when the materials of a model are in different files, then the resources.cfg loading would better. Or when a material file is inside of a zip package, then it would be loaded by the resources.cfg file -- by the current method you can't refer a file inside of a zip package.

I found a bug:
For my model I have to zoom in very much to see details (instead of a few pixel for the whole model).
When I rotate the camera view in this zoom state, then the rotation has a very high speed. The model is just twisting.

An option to enable anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering would be nice.

How did you create the grid?
By ManualObject?

The GUI is nice. Which GUI system did you use?
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
harr999y
Kobold

Post by harr999y »

Great work!
不知大哥的博客地址是?我该好好关注~呵呵~ :D
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

I created a wiki page for this editor.
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... nfigurator

It would be great when somebody adds details.

Also one or more screenshots would be nice.
How to add images you can read here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Help+-+Images

More help you find in the wiki menu at "Ogre Wiki Help".

Also I added to the wiki page DCC Tools.
Additionally it would be good to add it to the OGRE DCC Tools page.
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

Since there are many tasks and need more time to do for the OgreModelConfigurator(OMC), I have made a simple viewer named OgreMeshViewer(OMV).

OMV can be download here:
http://code.google.com/p/ogremeshviewer/downloads/list

It is a "straight forward" mesh viewer. It supports drag-and-drop, shell open, file open. Now you need not goto the "Mesh Info Panel" to open a mesh file. If the .material file used by the mesh has the same name and in the same folder with the .mesh file, the .material file will be loaded automatically(same as LexiViewer).

To Beauty:
OMC and OMV do support resources.cfg, you can add your frequently used .material files in it.

About the "model twisting", it is that your model is too small, of course the operation can be improved, but the change should fullfill all the needs(big mesh). I am thinking of this.

The anisotropic texture filtering has been already supported, see the texture filtering option in "Properties Panel".
About the FSAA, it seems it is difficut to change the FSAA option on the fly. Now OMV supports ogre.cfg file, you can modify it. On vista or above you need administrator right if you install OMV in the system program files folder.

About the grid, yes, it is made by ManualObject.

The GUI utilizes the Fluent UI, the Office2007 suit also uses it.
"This software also uses Microsoft Fluent UI. License terms to copy, use or distribute the Fluent UI are available separately.
To learn more about our Fluent UI licensing program, please visit http://msdn.microsoft.com/officeui.
Generally speaking, Fluent UI is free, if you do not use it make a contest software like Office."

Thanks for the wiki page for OMC. I will continue working on OMC. If I make "big" progress, I will update info in it.

To harr99y:
I use MSN space for my blog, it is written in Chinese. 当然你看得懂,呵呵。
http://zhktiger.spaces.live.com/
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

zhk_tiger wrote:I have made a simple viewer named OgreMeshViewer(OMV)
There is still a viewer with a similar name, called Mesh Viewer. Maybe it's also called Ogre Mesh Viewer. It's outdated since years, but maybe the name could cause confusions.
It's just an idea: Maybe use a more independent name. E.g. Tiger Mesh Viewer.

zhk_tiger wrote:About the "model twisting", it is that your model is too small, of course the operation can be improved, but the change should fullfill all the needs(big mesh). I am thinking of this.
Your viewer/configurator is aimed for the public. And the people can have different needs (as you see in my case).
Easy solution: Just make the model rotations independent from the zoom state. It should be related how much you moved the mouse pointer. For example check the mouse position on the screen and calculate the rotation speed from the moving distance value.
zhk_tiger
Gnoblar

Post by zhk_tiger »

I have changed the viewer name to Tiger Viewer. Thanks Beauty, i love the name "Tiger" :D

There is an updated release, at http://code.google.com/p/ogremeshviewer/downloads/list

The "model twisting" defect is solved and the AppIcon is also changed, wish you like it.