Heavy Hogur - Dwarf Puzzler!

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Heavy Hogur - Dwarf Puzzler!

Post by Borundin »

Long time since I last wrote anything here. Have been busy :)
Since this is Ogre3d related I thought I should at least mention the new game I've recently finished. It is using the Ogre engine of course which is always a pleasure. I'm not using anything fancy just regular meshes with skeletal animation, a modest bloom compositor, old school stencil shadows and NaviLibrary for the GUI. This time I also got some help with 3D modelling, graphics, music, sound fx etc so it hopefully looks a bit more polished than my previous game (Mulver). If you're interested in 3D Puzzle games in a not too serious fantasy setting maybe you should give it a try :D

About
Follow Heavy Hogur on a journey through the mountains and islands of Ivereth. Explore vast cave systems, collect crystals with your trusty pickaxe, discover buried treasures and recover legendary artifacts. 60 rooms full of adventure awaits you!

Gameplay
Heavy Hogur is a 3D puzzle game (Windows) with a unique game mechanic. Hogur is literally "heavy" and most of the ground is crumbling where ever he walks. Plan your path wisely, and "carve" your way through the different rooms.

Media Click to see larger image
Image Image

Image Image
Image : Image
Xypher
Gremlin

Re: Heavy Hogur - Dwarf Puzzler!

Post by Xypher »

Looks awesome, downloading the demo now! :)
Ubuntu Studio 13.04 64-bit
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws (PC3-12800)
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

http://www.hellbatgames.com
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

There's a whole lot of spit and polish on that! Well done.
TechnoBulldog
Halfling

Post by TechnoBulldog »

Wow, looks amazing! Very professional looking, where did you get the music?
I'm learning. Breezy <- Collection of game components I'm working on.
Wow this was helpful: Quatnerion and Rotation Primer
Xypher
Gremlin

Post by Xypher »

The dwarf froze up on me on level 6 for some reason, hit the end of a path and refused to move, restarted the level and he still wouldn't go. The path fx changed location, but left clicking did not yield a dwarf-move...
Not quite my cup of tea for gameplay, but it could just be my mood at the moment.
Beautiful game however, and great work! If you can manage to reproduce that bug I ran into I wouldn't have any technical complaints! ;)
Ubuntu Studio 13.04 64-bit
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws (PC3-12800)
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

http://www.hellbatgames.com
TechnoBulldog
Halfling

Post by TechnoBulldog »

I seem to have come across the same bug that @Xypher did. I think it was level 4 though, don't remember, sorry.
I'm learning. Breezy <- Collection of game components I'm working on.
Wow this was helpful: Quatnerion and Rotation Primer
Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Borundin »

Thanks for the feedback all !

I got the music from www.shockwave-sound.com. Affordable royalty stock music. I can really recommend them.

Sorry about the pathing bug. Yes I have seen it myself a couple of times. I have fixed one case where this bug was occuring but I have a hard time reproducing this other "variant". Very frustrating I might add :( The workaround for now is to exit to the Map screen and then start the room once agin. Simply restarting inside the room won't fix it. I'm still trying to nail this one..
Slappy
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slappy »

This looks fantastic!
I am buying it for Xmas!

But I am a little disappointed from the Internet connection which is required for playing the demo...
I can remember times when I just a bought game, put the CD into my PC and played it for ages without everything 8)
Btw why do you install vcredist in every installation? Is not there any way how to detect whether it is not already installed?
Cool looking Graphical Installers in NSIS and Inno Setup: http://www.graphical-installer.com - FREE for Ogre projects
I offer NSIS/Inno Setup scripting, C/C++/C#/Delphi programming: http://www.unsigned.sk
Develop NSIS/Inno Setup projects directly in Visual Studio 2005-2015: http://www.visual-installer.com/
or RAD Studio 2009-XE8: http://www.rad-installer.com/
Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Borundin »

Slappy wrote:This looks fantastic!
I am buying it for Xmas!
Thanks! Hope you will enjoy it :)
But I am a little disappointed from the Internet connection which is required for playing the demo...
Yes I know, but it's not required in the Full version. This way I can easily fix bugs and I also get feedback on what rooms are difficult etc. So it's in the interest of all playing the game really. Think of it sort of like the free Flash games out there. They are only playable online, at least easily.
Btw why do you install vcredist in every installation? Is not there any way how to detect whether it is not already installed?
It does detect that itself so I haven't bothered duplicating that yet.
fayt
Gnoblar

Post by fayt »

Pretty sharp looking
Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Borundin »

Just released a second update to Heavy Hogur with fast forward mode and in game Editor.
The rooms you create can be shared with the community.

[youtube]F-Ng_mFA8_U[/youtube]
Inocencio
Gnoblar

Post by Inocencio »

Recently I did an order. The visual is pretty awesome. Good work you did.

If possible, I would like to make you some questions about the project, because this game inspired me continuous keep on my personal game project, still in Java using JME, but with some efforts I will bring it along for C++/Orgre3D.

1 - Did you make all models and textures alone? How much time did you work on it?

2 - What the moment you filed done to produce your game and stopped to work in samples?

3 - What was the most difficult part you have reached?

Thanks in advance, further I will post some notes about Heavy Hogur.