Anyone using sketch up exporter with SketchUp 8?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
bad_otter
Gnoblar

Anyone using sketch up exporter with SketchUp 8?

Post by bad_otter »

Can't tell if it's working for me or not, the option to export to Ogre is there and it brings up the little window asking for a name, but there is no way to specify a path and I can't find any output anywhere... :-(
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: Anyone using sketch up exporter with SketchUp 8?

Post by Kojack »

Seems to be working fine for me.
Have you tried the sketchup exporter in the ogre addons repository? That's the latest one I wrote. Having a window with just a name box is either my old exporter (scrapped) or one of the ones branched from it by other people. My latest one (which is still pretty old now) has a large dialog with paths, options, etc. The old one with a name box has all it's settings in a ruby file in the sketchup plugin directory, you need to edit it by hand to specify where to export the mesh to. It would also need to know the location of the ogrexmlconverter.exe file.
bad_otter
Gnoblar

Post by bad_otter »

Thanks for the info, Kojack!

Am wondering now, though, is there any way to tell sketchup to flush its cached plugins or something? I grabbed your new one from addons, but it still gives me the old namebox window when I go Export To Ogre, not seeing all the fancy dialogs yet.

I did try setting the paths in the cfg file in the old one, but I think I only got the xmlconverter and didn't see the export path... might try that again.

Thanks for writing this! I'm sure I'll get it sorted sooner or later.

EDIT: WEIRD... on further experimentation, I've just observed one of the strangest Windows behaviors I've seen in years. What's happening is that inside the Plugins directory for Sketchup 8, I had your old ogre exporter, and now I've copied the new on in on top of it, replacing the files with the same names. However, whenever I put a file called ogre_export.rb in this directory, it immediately changes the contents of this file back to your old one! I've done it several times now to be sure. If I copy it in with a different name, it's fine, but as soon as I change it to the real name, it goes right back to your old exporter. Could it be some administrator/program files behavior? Sound familiar to anybody??

If worse comes to worse, can I change the name of the file? Where does it tie the file in to the Tools menu?

Further Edit: Hmm, tried changing the name of the new file, deleting the old file (ogre_export.rb, this is), and it still somehow finds the old plugin. Double checked that I'm calling the right Google SketchUp... any chance that it compiles the ruby into bytecode somewhere, that I could delete?
bad_otter
Gnoblar

Post by bad_otter »

Aha, well, that's better! I found the My Documents copies, and then changed the name of the function ("Export Too Ogre") and now it still shows me the old options (Export To Ogre, Export Selected To Ogre) but it also has my new function - which calls up your lovely dialog!

Very strange, but it looks like progress. :-)

EDIT: and, yup, works fine. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

That's really odd. I've never seen it restore plugins like that.

The filename doesn't matter, every .rb file in the plugins directory is executed. Once that's done, the exporter exists in memory until sketchup exits.
bad_otter
Gnoblar

Post by bad_otter »

Yeah, really weird one! Double checked it this morning to make sure I wasn't just seeing things, but there it is... I removed all instances of your old ruby script, both from the Program Files/sketchup/plugins directory, and from the User Documents directory, and it still has the extra tools menu items there when I run the program, and they still bring up the window.

Makes me wonder if this is some kind of weird windows system magic, given that it was converting my file in place until I changed the name. Some hidden backup because things in Program Files are Too Important to delete?? :-P Very weird...

But working, anyway!
BigM
Gnoblar

Post by BigM »

Hello, and first of all, thanks for your efforts on the SketchUp exporter, Kojack.

Today I started using the exporter with SketchUp 8 on OS X. However, I get no output from the converter. It feels as if the 'Export' button in the options panel does not trigger anything -- likewise, clicking the 'Cancel' button also fails to dismiss the window.

Oddly enough, the old 1.0.1 version -- which I tried out first -- worked almost fine in my setup, except for some textures that did not get exported (due to distortion, maybe?). I am sure I correctly replaced the plugin files when updating to the newer version, as I am now getting the full HTML/JavaScript option menu.

Could this result from some limitation or different implementation of JavaScript in the OS X SketchUp? And what tests can I perform to find the cause of this problem?

Cheers
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Just recently (a week ago I think) Sinbad made some changes to the exporter to work better on osx, but I'm not sure what the changes were (haven't gotten around to checking, I don't use macs).

Did you get the exporter from the addon repository within the last week? If not, there may already be a fix for you in the latest version.
BigM
Gnoblar

Post by BigM »

Thanks for the reply.
After Sindbad's correction the exporter is working fine (as much as I could tell) on SketchUp 8 on OS X 10.6.6.
It is a bit of a coincidence that I started using the plugin around the same time that Sinbad came around to fix the bug.

Anyway, the problem was that the wiki pointed me to the old addon repository at ogre.cvs.sourceforge.net, instead of http://ogreaddons.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... pexporter/. I have updated the page. Besides, there was a link in the wiki to an outdated version hosted on a mirror (http://members.optushome.com.au/antishreth/). I also removed that link to prevent further confusion. Maybe whoever (Kojack?) runs the mirror is interested in updating that hosted version?

Cheers
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Hehe, I haven't looked in that account for years, forgot I had anything in there (or that anything was linking to it). :)
amykrajnak
Gnoblar

Post by amykrajnak »

Specs: Macbook OS 10.6, Sketchup 8
I am TOTALLY not a graphic designer, so a lot of the things mentioned on this page are WAY over my head!

I am a middle school teacher working this summer on a project where students can use Sketchup 8 to build their own 3D models for simulation software, but I need it in Ogre. I downloaded the files, put them in the plugin folder, and when I finish my model, I click on the Tools menu, hoping that the Ogre export button will work. I really, REALLY need someone who can share a screencast or YouTube video or provide SPECIFIC step by steps. I know how to identify a directory, change xml code, but I am unsure WHAT to change it to. PLease, please, please help if you can. Think of how cool it would be if I can have my 6-8th graders designing things on Sketchup that are used in a simulation! They'll love it!
Nodrev
Gremlin

Post by Nodrev »

@amykrajnak

My colleague had updated the Sketchup exporter some time ago, you can find last version here:
http://www.openspace3d.com/downloads/Sk ... for%20Ogre

Also, we made a tutorial video some time ago:
[youtube]8nyYsmpcNHk[/youtube]