ParticleFX plugin gravitational effect

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
redeyerulk
Halfling

ParticleFX plugin gravitational effect

Post by redeyerulk »

Hi,
I have been trying tо create effect when particles appear on the edges of the hollow ellipsoid emitter and then they are flying inwards(toward the center(0,0,0) of the system ). But It appears I'm stuck... The problem is that I can't specify the direction of particles to be pointed outward(or inwards) of the ellipsoid (according to its normal). Is there a way to do that with ParticleFX plug-in? Maybe I'm doing something wrong and it is possible to achieve such effect in another way?
pizzazhang
Kobold

Re: ParticleFX plugin gravitational effect

Post by pizzazhang »

redeyerulk wrote:Hi,
I have been trying tо create effect when particles appear on the edges of the hollow ellipsoid emitter and then they are flying inwards(toward the center(0,0,0) of the system ). But It appears I'm stuck... The problem is that I can't specify the direction of particles to be pointed outward(or inwards) of the ellipsoid (according to its normal). Is there a way to do that with ParticleFX plug-in? Maybe I'm doing something wrong and it is possible to achieve such effect in another way?
If outward particle I think you can use point emitter and specify the direction to (0, 0, 1) and set the billboard type to oriented_self. Also specify the emitter's angle to some value like 30 or higher.
If inward particle I think you can use ellipsoid emitter and specify the direction to (0, 0, -1) and setup like the point emitter above but the emitter angle should very low like 5.
You can use the particle editor to see the effect while editing the particle script.
redeyerulk
Halfling

Re: ParticleFX plugin gravitational effect

Post by redeyerulk »

Thx for reply but
Well it doesn't seems to work :(. What I actually need is for particle direction to be it's normalised position...
I've been looking through the code of Particle FX plug in and I didn't find that feature. I think it will be quite easy to implement.

I can add something like

Code: Select all

direction normal_position
to particle script or just handle direction being zero vector as signal to calculate direction as normalised position?

I've just looked through stable version maybe there something in svn version like i sugesting?

PS
While looking through the code of ParticlFX plug in I noticed emit_emitter feature, but I didn't find anything about it in the script manual.