Updated Maya Exporter for Ogre 1.8 available

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Filmakademie
Kobold

Updated Maya Exporter for Ogre 1.8 available

Post by Filmakademie »

Dear Ogre Community,

we have updated the Maya Ogre Exporter. It supports exporting for Ogre 1.7 and 1.8 for all current Maya versions (32bit & 64bit).

Some new features were also added:
* animation rebasing as proposed in this thread.
* export timer, time for the complete export is prompted upon successful export in Maya output window.
* optimize empty tracks, introduced by the optimizations in pose animation it is possible that a track contains no keyframes. This causes problems in Ogre 1.8. The creation of empty tracks is now prevented.

You can download the installer here.
Find additional information on our wiki page.

Greetings!
Jarwulf
Greenskin

Re: Updated Maya Exporter for Ogre 1.8 available

Post by Jarwulf »

Hi, I installed your plugin but I can't figure out how to use it. I enabled it in the plugin manager but nothing seems to have changed. This is maya 2012 64 bit.
Filmakademie
Kobold

Post by Filmakademie »

After successful installation you should have a new menu on the main Maya window entitled: "Ogre"
Upon clicking the only menu item "Export" the exporter gui should open.
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

Filmakademie, thank you so much for maintaining this.

if I may ask what is the difference between the exports of 1.7 vs 1.8 ?
Filmakademie
Kobold

Post by Filmakademie »

The Mesh Format changed from Ogre 1.7 to 1.8. This means you will not be able to load a Ogre 1.7 asset in an Ogre 1.8 application. The converters may help but features like the animation rebasing are not supported in 1.7.
Jarwulf
Greenskin

Post by Jarwulf »

Filmakademie wrote:After successful installation you should have a new menu on the main Maya window entitled: "Ogre"
Upon clicking the only menu item "Export" the exporter gui should open.

Yeah its not showing up for some reason. I have ogreExporter.mll with both boxes checked in the plugin menu.
Filmakademie
Kobold

Post by Filmakademie »

Try to manually open the Exporter GUI by using this MEL command: ogreExporter
Jarwulf
Greenskin

Post by Jarwulf »

Thank you for replying this project might be the only free solution for 64 bit maya.

Anyway I typed in ogreExporter and it said it couldn't find the procedure. I installed the exporter by simply clicking the executable since there was no instructions otherwise. My system is Windows 7 with maya 2012.

Maybe it didn't install properly for some reason. How would I uninstall?
Filmakademie
Kobold

Post by Filmakademie »

In your Program Folder you sould find a Folder MayaOgreExporter, in this folder select "Remove MayaOgreExporter".
Jarwulf
Greenskin

Post by Jarwulf »

Filmakademie wrote:In your Program Folder you sould find a Folder MayaOgreExporter, in this folder select "Remove MayaOgreExporter".

The only MayaOgreExporter folder was in Start Menu\Programs which I assume is simply to make it appear in the start menu however there was a MayaOgreExporterUninstall.exe in the Windows\installer folder. I used that to remove the program. It caused ogreExporter.mll to disappear from the plugin menu. I reinstalled in and I still have the same problem. I'm using the 1.7 version.
Filmakademie
Kobold

Post by Filmakademie »

Sounds really strange, are you sure you are using the latest installer?
It should give you an option to install both, Ogre 1.7 & 1.8.
Just for testing give it a try with the 1.8 version and see if it works.
Did you install your Maya into a custom location? (even if this should not cause any problems).
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

Jarwulf wrote:Yeah its not showing up for some reason. I have ogreExporter.mll with both boxes checked in the plugin menu.
just to make sure to cover all bases...
when you uncheck/check the boxes do you get any warnings or errors?
Jarwulf
Greenskin

Post by Jarwulf »

Filmakademie wrote:Sounds really strange, are you sure you are using the latest installer?
It should give you an option to install both, Ogre 1.7 & 1.8.
Just for testing give it a try with the 1.8 version and see if it works.
Did you install your Maya into a custom location? (even if this should not cause any problems).
Yes I do get an option to do 1.8 (unstable) or 1.7. Maya is installed in Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/ though there is another program files (x86) since I have a 64 bit system. The file size is 109kb and downloads additional stuff from somewhere.

I installed the 1.8 option like you suggested and I still get the same problem. Help is the last option no matter what menu set I pick. I click and unclike ogreExporter.mll and nothing happens. I type ogreExporter in the MEL line and it says procedure not found.

The MayaOgreExporter folder is in \windows\start menu\programs and I think this might be the folder you were talking about. But I don't what I can do with it that I haven't done already.
metaldev wrote:just to make sure to cover all bases...
when you uncheck/check the boxes do you get any warnings or errors?
Nothing happens that I see except the small amount of loading.

System in case you want to test it yourself: Winblows 7 64 bit Maya 2012 64 bit.

the 'official' maya exporter does add the ogre option to the menu although this is of little help since it only works with 32 bit.
Filmakademie
Kobold

Post by Filmakademie »

@Jarworlf, could you please post a screenshot of your exact Maya version Maya->Help->About Maya.
Is it possible that you are using the Maya PLE Version? Do you have Administrator rights on your workstation?

@MEtaldev, did you try the latest installer and encounter any problems?
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

Filmakademie wrote:@MEtaldev, did you try the latest installer and encounter any problems?
I did, i had no problems. Everything worked without any issues. I have been using it for a few weeks now with static and skeletal meshes.
Jarwulf
Greenskin

Post by Jarwulf »

Alright I think I have this problem licked. I chose to install the source too and then copied ogreexporter.mel and usersetup.mel into the same respective folders bisco's exporter files are copied. I thought you only had to click the exe but I guess thats not enough.
Filmakademie
Kobold

Post by Filmakademie »

No the exporter does much more. We copy the ogreMain.dll in your Maya bin folder. We also add a line to your startup.mel and copy the ogreExporter.mel to your Maya Documents folder.
Banano
Gnoblar

Post by Banano »

Thanks for your work, Marcel & Gnoblar! (Vielen dank, ganz nützlich)