Ogre AppWizards 1.8.0

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: Ogre AppWizards 1.7.2

Post by jacmoe »

Wizards have been updated to match current Ogre SDKs. :wink:

Important Change:
The order of createFrameListener and createScene has been swapped around to match the Ogre Wiki Tutorial Framework (and the old example framework).

Nice change:
Finally, the 'basepath cannot be relative' error when not using postbuild copy was fixed - please report any issues. :)

See first post for download links..
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: Ogre AppWizards 1.7.3 / 1.7.2

Post by jacmoe »

The project has moved to Bitbucket:

https://bitbucket.org/jacmoe/ogreappwizards

Would make it easier if anyone likes to contribute as it's easier to create forks and issue pull requests.
Update your links/bookmarks. :)
Markohs
Gnoblar

Post by Markohs »

Just downloaded this and it works perfect, just one problem, I have the Ogre 1.7.4 SDK and it tried to include/link against boost_1_44 instead of boost_1_47.

Thank you for this wizard!
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: Ogre AppWizards 1.8.0

Post by jacmoe »

Shiny new Ogre AppWizards for Ogre 1.8.0 has been uploaded! :)

Get it from Bitbucket:

Or, by using these direct links:

Windows:
Ogre AppWizard 1.8.0 for Code::Blocks
Ogre AppWizard 1.8.0 for Visual C++ 2010 Express (VC10)
Ogre AppWizard 1.8.0 for Visual C++ 2010 (VC10)
Ogre AppWizard 1.8.0 for Visual C++ 2008 Express (VC9)
Ogre AppWizard 1.8.0 for Visual C++ 2008 (VC9)
Ogre AppWizard 1.8.0 for Visual Studio 2005 (VC8)

Linux:
/* coming up */
Markohs wrote:Just downloaded this and it works perfect, just one problem, I have the Ogre 1.7.4 SDK and it tried to include/link against boost_1_44 instead of boost_1_47.
That's history now. :)
I told the Ogre team to not hardcode the Boost version in the directory. :twisted:

So, in theory, you will not need to upgrade your Ogre AppWizard unless the Ogre interface used by the actual code changes.
Which is good news.
It also means that the wizards will work straight out of the box, regardless of whatever version of Boost whoever used to create whatever Ogre sdk you're using. :wink:
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I've added a preview QtCreator project wizard.

I've no idea why I did it, since QtCreator now supports CMake directly, even on Windows.
But I guess I gave it a go just 'because'.. ;)

[s]Attached to this post - please try it out.
Tested on Windows, but should work on Linux as well. Will test there later.

QtCreator wizard:[/s]
<removed - see first post of topic>

[s]Installation instructions:

Unzip and put in qtCreator/share/qtcreator/templates/wizards.[/s]
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

AppWizards for Linux (KDevelop) and QtCreator (Linux and Windows) has been added - see the first post. ;)
strich
Gnoblar

Post by strich »

I just wanted to post to say thank you for this little application. I've just compiled and run the standard VS10 app and its worked flawlessly. Seriously awesome work at getting us into Ogre so much quicker.
Couple of questions:
  • What is Postbuild Copy?
  • Probably related to the above question - My project currently compiles and copies the exec into the SDK. As it stands right now I have the VS project folder as well as a seperate SDK folder. What is the best way to combine these so I've got it all under one roof?
  • The Standard Application looks very nicely done. I've done yet taken a good long look at all the code, but do you think it could be used as the complete basis for a full game project? I'm currently reading up on how to architecturally develop in Ogre for the first time.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

strich wrote:What is Postbuild Copy?
It's a copy command which is part of the postbuild event - named postbuild copy for short.
strich wrote:Probably related to the above question - My project currently compiles and copies the exec into the SDK. As it stands right now I have the VS project folder as well as a seperate SDK folder. What is the best way to combine these so I've got it all under one roof?
I tend to use a simple batch script which copies from $OGRE_HOME/bin directory, and I just run it 'manually'.
I could call that batch script from a post-build event somewhere, but then it would trigger after each build.
I am actually using CMake for that - see the setting up an application with cmake in the wiki (here).
strich wrote:The Standard Application looks very nicely done. I've done yet taken a good long look at all the code, but do you think it could be used as the complete basis for a full game project? I'm currently reading up on how to architecturally develop in Ogre for the first time.
I would - and I am - using CMake for larger projects as it's more flexible.
You can base a larger project on an OgreAppwizard generated project, but it would probably be much more manageable if you chose the CMake route.
It depends on what kind of workflow you like.
Basically, all the wizard does is set up the project settings (compiler/linker) for Ogre programming, so that won't stand in your way.

I hope that answers your questions. :)
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

jacmoe wrote: I could call that batch script from a post-build event somewhere, but then it would trigger after each build.
I do such a thing automatically in a makefile when compiling my projects with MinGW. I use the "cp" command for that.
It has a parameter that only copies files over if they are actually newer or not there in the target folder.
There also must be a way to do that for each platform/compiler. Afaik, "cp" is Linux and there must be an equivalent for Windows, though I don't know if "copy" can be that "intelligent" ;)
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

It can be fairly intelligent.
I think there's something in the wiki article on creating your own CMake script for Ogre using projects. :)
Using cp and xcopy (IIRC).
alangunning
Gnoblar

Post by alangunning »

Please is it possible to update to work for Visual C++ 2012 ??

Thanks!
Cardedon
Gnoblar

Post by Cardedon »

Hi guys,
I tryed to use it on CodeBlocks but is not working.
I followed the instructions on the codeblocks zip file.
After i installed the appwizard codeblocks say there is an error starting the wizard.

Someone have the same issue?
Cmdu76
Gnoblar

Post by Cmdu76 »

Hi !

I have an error :

obj\Debug\BaseApplication.o||In function `_static_initialization_and_destruction_0':|
C:\SDK\OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1\boost\boost\system\error_code.hpp|214|undefined reference to `boost::system::generic_category()'|
C:\SDK\OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1\boost\boost\system\error_code.hpp|215|undefined reference to `boost::system::generic_category()'|
C:\SDK\OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1\boost\boost\system\error_code.hpp|216|undefined reference to `boost::system::system_category()'|
obj\Debug\OgreTestApplication.o||In function `_static_initialization_and_destruction_0':|
C:\SDK\OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1\boost\boost\system\error_code.hpp|214|undefined reference to `boost::system::generic_category()'|
C:\SDK\OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1\boost\boost\system\error_code.hpp|215|undefined reference to `boost::system::generic_category()'|
C:\SDK\OgreSDK_MinGW_v1-8-1\boost\boost\system\error_code.hpp|216|undefined reference to `boost::system::system_category()'|
||=== Build finished: 6 errors, 0 warnings (0 minutes, 5 seconds) ===|
jokoon
Goblin

Post by jokoon »

why is this still pinned, it seems old... what is appwizard ?
jokoon
Goblin

Post by jokoon »

Cmdu76 wrote:Hi !

I have an error :

obj\Debug\BaseApplication.o||In function `_static_initialization_and_destruction_0':|
obj\Debug\OgreTestApplication.o||In function `_static_initialization_and_destruction_0':|
||=== Build finished: 6 errors, 0 warnings (0 minutes, 5 seconds) ===|
Had the same error. I guess it's a matter of how the appwizard generate the codeblock thing. Problem is jacmoe can't always keep up with each version of ogre being released.
juansmith
Gnoblar

Post by juansmith »

The installer installs the wizard automatically.So all you have to do is run it.Then find the wizard in Visual Studio.
I had to change it due to permission issues on Vista and Windows 7.
IanBray
Gnoblar

Post by IanBray »

Hi again guys. Progress report. Gone a slightly different route this time.

I reinstalled everything, then dropped the Ogre AppWizard into the latest C::B

I built it and got to exactly the same place I was before using the manual install method, which nearly drove me nuts last night.

I bit the bullet and commented out the deprecated boost defines, where the compiler was hanging, and damn, it worked, (but probably not a good idea), still I had the graphics screen with FPS on the left and "Ogre" on the right. I dont know if thats what I should be seeing.

Ok, my toesies are in the water.

Not so fast there. Judging by Tutorial One, I should be seeing a big green monster! Trys again sigh.
Walta69
Halfling

Post by Walta69 »

I downloaded this appwizard, installed it and created a project.

I get errors with the include #include "OgreOverlaySystem.h" - "does not exist"

I am using Ogre 1.9. Is there a different appwizard I should download?

Any help would be appreciated :)
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

This was never updated for 1.9. You can either update each project after you create it, using the 1.9 tutorial framework: http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Ogre+Wik ... +Framework

Or you can go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Ogre VC10 Express AppWizard, or wherever you installed it, and update the appropriate files in templates and scripts folders. templates has the actual code, and scripts has a js file that determines your project settings (where you will need to include and link to the new overlay component)
Walta69
Halfling

Post by Walta69 »

I updated the project files with the new tutorial framework and it still can't see OgreOverlaySystem.h.

I'll try editing the template files quickly
Walta69
Halfling

Post by Walta69 »

Excuse my ill-knowledge, but how exactly would I include the OgreOverlaySystem.h file via the .js file? :)
gmackay11
Gnoblar

Post by gmackay11 »

I have modified the OGRE3D Wizard files for OGRE3D 1.9.0 and placed into a ZIP file for Visual Studio 10 only.

Here it is....

http://www.slctech.org/~mackay/OGRE3D/O ... Wizard.zip

Just uncompress this and put the root files into the existing Ogre3D AppWizard directory (in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ogre VC10 AppWizard )
(We need this for our labs :D )

Good Luck,

Gord

Professor
St. Lawrence College Game Development Technician Program
Cornwall, ON
Canada
kuo
Gnoblar

Post by kuo »

jacmoe wrote:The project has moved to Bitbucket:

Would make it easier if anyone likes to contribute as it's easier to create forks and issue pull requests.

The page is not available now. Could you activate it?

Thanks.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

kuo wrote:
jacmoe wrote:The project has moved to Bitbucket:

The page is not available now. Could you activate it?

Thanks.
It's now here https://bitbucket.org/ogreaddons/ogreappwizards like a lot of other projects as well.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...