How to build Ogre from source on Win8?

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

How to build Ogre from source on Win8?

Post by KungFooMasta »

Hello community,

I'm trying to use Ogre in my WinRT Application, but I'm not sure if Ogre uses the new WinRT (Windows Runtime) APIs for direct X. Regardless I'm trying to check out the latest version from the repository and build/use Ogre. (I believe there is some tool that will validate if my application uses any unsanctioned APIs)

I've installed TortoiseHG and cloned both the Ogre and dependencies depots. (https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogredeps)

1. When using CMake to configure Ogre projects, I get an error saying Boost cannot be found. Is Boost a requirement?

2. When using CMake to configure the dependency projects, I get an error saying DirectX Libraries cannot be found. Do I need to install the DirectX SDK?

DirectX_D3DCOMPILER_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND
DirectX_D3DX9_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND
DirectX_DINPUT8_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND
etc.

Also, in the Compilers drop down list in the CMake GUI, it lists Visual Studio 2011. Naming has changed to VS2012, but I think this will work in any case, as I've been able to configure/build/use the Bullet Physics library on Win8.
Creator of QuickGUI!
The_Creator
Gnoblar

Re: How to build Ogre from source on Win8?

Post by The_Creator »

You need to install the Directx SDK, If you install the Windows SDK you will still be missing a few Directx files.
Eugene
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Eugene »

Look at BuildingOgreWinRT.txt located at Ogre`s root directory for instructions.
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

KungFooMasta wrote:When using CMake to configure Ogre projects, I get an error saying Boost cannot be found. Is Boost a requirement?
If you set up boost as threading library (see OGRE_CONFIG_THREADS and OGRE_CONFIG_THREAD_PROVIDER in CMake), it's a requirement.
KungFooMasta wrote:When using CMake to configure the dependency projects, I get an error saying DirectX Libraries cannot be found. Do I need to install the DirectX SDK?

DirectX_D3DCOMPILER_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND
DirectX_D3DX9_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND
DirectX_DINPUT8_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND
etc.
These are DirectX 9 libraries, which are not included in Windows SDK (only DirectX 11 is there).
KungFooMasta wrote:Also, in the Compilers drop down list in the CMake GUI, it lists Visual Studio 2011. Naming has changed to VS2012, but I think this will work in any case, as I've been able to configure/build/use the Bullet Physics library on Win8.
Yes, CMake uses 2011 because when they added this feature, the name "Visual Studio 2012" was not fixed and it is version 11. Maybe they fix/change this in the next release.
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

Wow timing could not be better! :D

http://www.ogre3d.org/2012/10/30/ogre-n ... #more-1888

Eugene, I am following that txt file, thanks for pointing me the right way. Here is what I've done:

1. Download/install TortoiseHg
2. Clone Ogre-winrt-dependencies depot: https://bitbucket.org/eugene_gff/ogre-d ... cies-winrt
3. Open the WinRT solution, build in debug and release
4. Clone Ogre-winrt depot: https://bitbucket.org/eugene_gff/ogre-winrt
5. Install Latest CMake
6. Use CMake GUI to generate Ogre WinRT Solutions for Visual Studio 2012

I am having issues on step 6. There is an error when pressing "configure" in CMake GUI: Error in configuration process, project files may be invalid

I hope the patches submitted by Nokia/Microsoft will help allow CMake to generate the solutions correctly.
Creator of QuickGUI!