Video Tutorials for Ogre3D + Maya + LFA Scene Manager

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Video Tutorials for Ogre3D + Maya + LFA Scene Manager

Post by metaldev »

Hey guys,

I put together some video tutorials.
Mainly they are focused around my toolset, but even if you aren't using Maya or LFA tools
there is a lot of general information about Ogre and making real-time art in here that should help out beginners
especially the ones about .scene

But of course if you ARE using my tools they are highly recommended and hopefully help you a lot!

I recommend to watch them at high res, so you can see the text in the menus etc.

[youtube]M2TqIMm3DXM[/youtube]
In this video I cover exporting a .mesh and basic workflow using the LFA Scene Manager.

[youtube]JvEgbYLpH1Y[/youtube]
In this video I cover how to manage Ogre3D materials with the LFA Scene Manager. The First half is geared towards beginners and artists, at about 5:20 I go deeper and teach you how to use the tools in a complex project.

[youtube]TKe_48x8Eyk[/youtube]
In this video I cover the basic theory and use of a .scene file, I use my LFA Scene Manager to demonstrate.

[youtube]TfTL1ZnHcmo[/youtube]
In this video I cover how to optimize object counts, manage transforms, and export a realistic .scene with the LFA Scene Manager.

[youtube]m0CA8Pbz3YQ[/youtube]
In this video I cover how to use instances to control your pipeline and how to customize your .scene in Maya using the LFA Scene Manager.

[youtube]v4Kw615zj8g[/youtube]
In this video I cover some basics on how to setup and export a simple character from maya with animation using the LFA Scene Manager. I also go over how to fix transform issues on characters.

[youtube]IQSlfANkdwY[/youtube]
In this video I continue the character and animation demo. It's more advanced but I cover how to get things into Ogre3D that the exporter doesn't directly handle such as IK animation and more.

[youtube]4eFdS97B7Pg[/youtube]
This tutorial is specific to the LFA Scene Manager, and covers some ways you can customize the toolset to suit your pipeline.

hopefully they help you out.
More documentation on the LFA Scene Manager can be found HERE.
Last edited by metaldev on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maxiwill
Halfling

Re: Video Tutorials for Ogre3D + Maya + LFA Scene Manager

Post by maxiwill »

thank you :D
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Really awesome! :D

*stickied*
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Awesome stuff! :D
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

ty! i hope they help people out :) i added the animation tutorial - i split it into 2 parts for convenience.

holy sh*t i just realized i made about 50 minutes worth of tuts! :shock:
SusanLL
Halfling

Post by SusanLL »

metaldev,

thank you sooo much. I'm going over your tut's now along with my animator. I do have some trouble shooting questions but I will have to post later. Want to try and work thru them first then get back with you. For direct questions which would be better to contact you?

I do know I'm still having error issues with the LFA for instance....

in video explaining exporting objects, I have a groups of meshes, even if I select one or ideally all mesh, I have a "Make exportable" button, not a Tag Button (I think that's what I recall). Also, in my script editor, it tells me 0 total objects tagged for export. 0 meshes tagged. After hitting the make exportable button, 1 object selected (even though there are multiple meshes selected) and 1 objects made exportable. Is this the same as what you were doing in to tut?
Anyway, that's my initial issue. As for the two Animation clips..... thank you. well worth the wait.

Now a little back tracking question from one of my earlier post. Since your exporter produces .scene files, and my programer needs the .xml can I still setup my characters and animations the same as you recommend and then export them out with the OrgerMax exporter to produce the file I need. Will the FK animation secondary rig work then too. I will attempt to test this but if you know right off maybe you can clarify.

Thanks again and I hope other artist benefit from your hard work. I have.

-SusanLL
SusanLL
3D Modeler, Models and Simulations
BAE Systems, Inc
susan.littleton@baesystems.com
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

I have a "Make exportable" button, not a Tag Button (I think that's what I recall).
i just updated the tools, i changed the text to try to make it more intuitive. You should download the latest from my site, i also removed the 'apply' thing so now all attributes are automatically applied when changed. Multiple make exportable on the 'tag for export' is a new feature too.
Since your exporter produces .scene files, and my programer needs the .xml can I still setup my characters and animations the same as you recommend and then export them out with the OrgerMax exporter to produce the file I need. Will the FK animation secondary rig work then too.
i don't know if it will work - but i don't see why it wouldn't work.
kamishi
Gnoblar

Post by kamishi »

Hi, do you know if all this works with Maya 2013? It is indeed awesome, but my team is using maya 2013 only. :(
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

everything should work. You need the Maya Ogre exporter plugin for 2013 though. Not sure if anyone has made that yet.
kamishi
Gnoblar

Post by kamishi »

Thank for your support. I tried to export a mesh and it created a file (using the lfa script on maya 2013). I will try to load it in Ogre and i'll tell you how it goes. Thanks !
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

the lfa tools can export a .scene and .material without plugins, but i think what you are looking for are .mesh files, which the tools can only produce with the compiled plugin.

If you are a programmer or have a programmer on your team its not too difficult, you just need the plugin source from ogre, and then link to the includes and libraries that you will find in your maya 2013 installation.
nevarim
Gnoll

Post by nevarim »

going well also for 3ds max?
i'm a noob until proven otherwise :D
used in my project ;) and thanks to everyone :D
Ogre 3d
Mygui
Skyx
Hydrax
MOC