OGRE Newbie's Tutorials

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

OGRE Newbie's Tutorials

Post by Robomaniac »

I've finally set about to create a series of 10 lessons covering the basics of the OGRE engine.

You can get the first one at:
http://centaurforce.sourceforge.net/Ogr ... ewbie1.htm

Expect more tomorrow!
Yes, i know half of the pictures don't work, but please report any bugs you might find!
phear hingo

My Webpage
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Thanks Robo, my only comment is that if this is a newbie tutorial, you probably shouldn't be pulling the latest development version from CVS. Better to pull the latest stable / bugfix branch (Hastur currently).
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

alright, will change that :)
phear hingo

My Webpage
eZZy
Gnoblar

Post by eZZy »

Nice thing that new tutorials are comming in. The old ones really ( i mean REALLY) needs an update! ;)

Though, there are some positive things of old tutorials. You have to learn how to use API reference and u can also see how the engine becomes more and more sophisticated. :)
Goosey
Halfling

Post by Goosey »

Thats great. The more tutorials the better! I think a lot of people (including myself) can learn a lot quicker when things are explained in human-terms rather then just digging through source code. :)
I <3 the OGRE Wiki, and SO SHOULD YOU! :)
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

Heres a basic list of what the tutorials will be:
  • Downloading and Compiling OGRE
  • Ogre Basics + Init/Exit
  • Update Loop
  • Meshes and Materials
  • Lighting and Shadows
  • Particle Effects
  • Advanced Effects
  • Movement and Input
  • Tech Demo Walkthrough and Source
  • Wrapping Up
  • Also, if i want, i might even throw in a cegui or ogreode tutorial ;)
phear hingo

My Webpage
notatoa
Gnoblar

Post by notatoa »

Also, if i want, i might even throw in a cegui or ogreode tutorial
OgreOde is pretty easy to work with, a tutorial for CEGUI would be fantastic Robo :D
PJB
Gnoblar

Post by PJB »

That's a nice tutorial robo, it would definitely have helped me the first time I started using Ogre (I was a complete novice to CVS). I look forward to seeing the next in the series!

A couple of minor points I noticed:
- descicion == decision (spelling)
- Turtoise == Tortoise (spelling)
- image006.gif is missing
- image008.jpg is missing
- image009.gif is missing
- image010.gif is squashed vertically to be unreadable
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

I'm gonna work on redoing the 1st tutorial in a read web page editor as opposed to word, and start working on tuts 2 and 3, so expect an update tonight
phear hingo

My Webpage
dennis
Gremlin

Post by dennis »

Robomaniac wrote:I'm gonna work on redoing the 1st tutorial in a read web page editor as opposed to word, and start working on tuts 2 and 3, so expect an update tonight
You might want to check out HTML-kit.
Robomaniacs' Tutorial wrote:Sit Back… Relax… and wait for OGRE to finish building.
You might want to give an estimate of the build-time here, because on some machines it could take a looooong time! (> 30 mins. :shock: ) Oh, and try to keep the images as small as possible. Perhaps you could even show the relevant parts only.
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

i chose not to include a build time estimate b/c it varies so much. Ex. on my laptop, ogre takes only about 20 mins to rebuild fully, which on my desktop, it can take up to an hour and a half :\

I'm gonna rework the images too
phear hingo

My Webpage
charlie
Greenskin

Post by charlie »

Great work!
That's something I was really waiting for. A good tutorial from the scratch about ogre (although I still don't have a c++ .net).

A OgreOde Tutorial would really be great (especially one that deals with car physics since I haven't found a really good example for something like that. Or if there's a good tutorial concerning this topic please let me know)

At the moment only the first lesson about comiling the whole stuff is online, right?
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

Yes, the first tutorial is the only one up, i will have the rest up by sunday night

[edit]
I don't think i'll be able to get all of them up, but the basic ones should be put up by then.
phear hingo

My Webpage
y721
Gremlin

Post by y721 »

Hi:

Is anyone planning to write a Terrain tutorial? For example, which algorithm is used? how do I apply color map on terrain based on height?
..etc.

thank you.
Jodi
Gnoblar

Post by Jodi »

Please,

a hold-my-hand tutorial on CEGUI and OgreODE would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

I've decided to take a slightly different approach to the lessons, making them into a downloadable package w/ projects, an html tutorial, and source. The source will be the main source of documentation for the tutorials, as it will be extremely well commented. I will get the next one out as soon as possible (its almost complete, but I can't upload it for a bit)
phear hingo

My Webpage
japito
Halfling

Post by japito »

Robomaniac weee, Robomaniac is great, Robomaniac for president....
ummmm emmmm estoooo.....
ALutke
Gnoblar

Post by ALutke »

Being quite new to OGRE, I am really looking forward to this!

Thanks Robomaniac!! :P
Yokom
Halfling

Post by Yokom »

When you go for the first example can we get a tut on building a project without the old example code.

More or less building an application from scratch thing. Im going to have to trudge though it soon(tm). For now still working on artwork.
MrSandman666
Gnoblar

Post by MrSandman666 »

Yes, that would be greatly appreciated! I've been hunting high and low for a tutorial that explains how to write an Ogre app from scratch without that example application thing.
It really doesn't help at all if you want to learn the inner workings of Ogre and you're only refered to some helper classes that hide these inner workings from you.
Mr. Sandman bring me a dream...
dorvo
Halfling

Post by dorvo »

I've found the easiest way to learn how to build an Ogre app from scratch is to have the ExampleApplication and ExampleFrameListener header files open while you create your own application and frame listener classes. This way, you can refer back to the examples. Then just experiment. If it doesn't compile, or doesn't perform as you thought it should have, then you've gained some knowledge on how the code should be laid out.

Ogre was designed well enough that it's relatively easy to learn to use, especially for someone like me who's not as active in game development as I should be.
MrSandman666
Gnoblar

Post by MrSandman666 »

Well, that's just what I did... I manage to compile something basic but I still think it would be good for newbies to have things explained "the right way" (tm).

I'm still not far with my learning and things will probably look a lot clearer when I actually start programming again but looking just at the documentation things look very confusing. For example, I've been trying to find a way to morph objects by applying modifiers to individual vertices but so far I haven't found anything about where or how vertices for a mesh are stored. I guess it will become clear once I experiment more, just giving feedback on newbie problems...
Mr. Sandman bring me a dream...
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

The newbie's tuts are coming soon, prolly by this wednesday or smthg similar.

Sooner or later, the first 2 are done, just haven;'t been able to upload them yet
phear hingo

My Webpage
soy1bonus
Gnoblar

Great work man!

Post by soy1bonus »

Great job. I really like tutorials (in general) and yours are awesome.

I am searching a 3d engine to make a game (it's a university project) and I was thinking about Ogre or, maybe Irrlicht.

I played a lot with Irrlicht and is very easy to use but I like some features that only Ogre has, like the texture shadows and the material scripts.

It's the first 'serious' project I'm going to develop so when I started with Ogre it was SO difficult....

I tried to follow some of the old tutorials but I was stucked when setting up the terrain.cfg, and I couldn't find the proper definition on the API.

Well Robomaniac, thank you for this.
philvanzu
Gnoblar

Post by philvanzu »

Robomaniac wrote:The newbie's tuts are coming soon, prolly by this wednesday or smthg similar.

Sooner or later, the first 2 are done, just haven;'t been able to upload them yet
According to this post's date it should be done now but where can we download it ???

I'm stuck on the old tutorial n° 2 with ogre::scenenode::yaw() no longer taking a ogre::real as first argument..

(plus I admit I don't really know what "yaw" is - google translates it as "shoelace" in french - and that's not very talkative to me hehe. I suppose it must be a Y axis rotation , just not sure.)