[News] Ogre3D moves to JIRA!

News, announcements and important global threads from the Ogre3D Team.
OgreNewsBot
Your source of official Ogre news

[News] Ogre3D moves to JIRA!

Post by OgreNewsBot »

Klaim
Old One

Re: [News] Ogre3D moves to JIRA!

Post by Klaim »

Excellent!
In case you have any ideas or suggestions on how to further improve our processes as well as the usage of JIRA, let us know!
Yes! Please update instructions on this page! http://www.ogre3d.org/developers/submit-patch

I think one of my patches was not even looked at... I guess I should do a pull request instead.

So from now the Ogre server don't host the tracker, right? Atlassian does.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Yes, the page you mentioned will be updated soon. No worries :) .

The patches that are still on the SVN tracker will get looked at but providing a pull request will speed that up immensely!

Yes, Atlassian is kind enough not to strain our server ;) .
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

spacegaier wrote:The patches that are still on the SVN tracker will get looked at but providing a pull request will speed that up immensely!
I just checked, apparently it was regjected because already fixed. Good!
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Will the dependency "project" (in a separate repo) be added to Jira too?
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

No - because tzan everbody would start tickets about thirdparty bugs and also bear in mind ogre can be build without any deps.
MrJones
Gnoblar

Post by MrJones »

Would it be possible to update the bug tracker link here aswell? http://www.ogre3d.org/support/bugs
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I somehow forgot about that page. Fixed. Thanks for the reminder!
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
lunkhound
Gremlin

Post by lunkhound »

I have some questions about using BitBucket to submit patches.
  • If I have a series of changes, should I issue one pull request for the whole lot of them, or should it be a separate pull request per change?
  • If I have bugfixes that are applicable to v1-8 as well as v1-9 should I issue a pull request for each branch, or just for v1-8 or just for v1-9?
  • What is the default branch used for?
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

From my point of view:
  • It depends on the content. If there are multiple changes/commits that tackle one coherent topic/issue then enter them as one request. If there are multiple commits each tackling a non related area, multiple requests are the way to go, because they might be rejected / accepted on a per case basis. If they are bundled as one, and even only one part is not okay for the team, they have to reject the whole thing, even though the big part is okay. Then you would need to split them up anyway.
  • Two possible options: Either to both or only to 1.8, because the 1.8 changes will eventually get merged upwards, but not the other way around
  • Not really sure right now ;) . I leave that for someone else to answer. In fact that was been asked and answered quite some time here, but I forgot the reasoning...
lunkhound
Gremlin

Post by lunkhound »

That helps. Thanks!
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

If I have bugfixes that are applicable to v1-8 as well as v1-9 should I issue a pull request for each branch, or just for v1-8 or just for v1-9?
What is the default branch used for?
Branch v1-8 is for bug fixes only. No new features can be added (because it's already released).
v1-9 is stable stuff for the next version of ogre. New stuff can go here. (By stable I mean people will be building and running this unreleased branch, so any pulls should be for things that won't break that)
v2-0 is for way more distant stuff (still stable).
default branch is kind of for unstable stuff (for the dev team), but it's much better to hold off until the stuff is stable. You generally should avoid this one. It may also be more out of date if a merge hasn't happened for a while.

Merges are done upwards (at no specific time), so a bug fix you make to v1-8 will be merged up to v1-9, v1-9 merges up to v2-0, etc.