Using terrain on iOS/Android

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
cww
Gnoblar

Using terrain on iOS/Android

Post by cww »

After trying for some time and some reading from docs/forum, it seems that terrain will not work on mobile using OpenGL ES because read back is not allowed.
An exception has occurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(9:UnimplementedException): Downloading texture buffers is not supported by OpenGL ES in GLES2TextureBuffer
If anyone knows how to get terrain to work on iOS/Android, I will appreciate you can let me know. I am only looking for a way to load a simple terrain into the game, and do not need the terrain to change over the life span. If there is a way to pre-generating the terrain and then just use it, I am happy to go down this route too. My progress has come to a halt and will appreciate any pointers in the right direction so that I can proceed from here...

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendation.
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Re: Using terrain on iOS/Android

Post by DanielSefton »

Why not just create a mesh-based terrain? I'd say even if terrain worked on mobile, it may even be worse performance than just loading a simple mesh, unless you want really vast terrains.
cww
Gnoblar

Post by cww »

Hi DanielSefton,

I had been trying to use terrain because I thought it was the 'way' for Ogre, and your suggestion definitely sounds like a good idea. Basically, I need to have a terrain (mostly flat but need a few small bumps) and then have other 3d objects to be able to walk on it.

If possible, can you point me in the right direction on where to find more information on how to do this?

Thanks!

Regards,
Cheewah
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

cww wrote:Basically, I need to have a terrain (mostly flat but need a few small bumps) and then have other 3d objects to be able to walk on it.
Then open up your favourite 3D modeling application (Blender 3D, 3DS Max etc.), create a plane, subdivide it, use the tools to raise/lower parts of it, texture, and export it to Ogre.

If you want to walk on it, use raycasting just like in the terrain sample. If you need to use physics, turn it into a trimesh.
cww
Gnoblar

Post by cww »

Thanks for the pointers and it is definitely very useful for me to proceed with my development. Cheers!