[solved] Does iOS support 32bit index buffers?

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
simedj
Goblin

[solved] Does iOS support 32bit index buffers?

Post by simedj »

I can't find a clear answer to this question... what do OpenGL ES 1/2 stipulate? My code is built for D3D and GLES2 render systems so do I need to make sure each submesh is limited to 65535/3 indexed tris or was that GLES 1 only?

Any definitive online resources welcome.
Last edited by simedj on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me with a contact email address if interested.
masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Does iOS support 32bit index buffers?

Post by masterfalcon »

OpenGL ES itself only supports 16 bit index buffers. But iOS supports the GL_OES_element_index_uint extension that allows for 32 bit buffers. And we do support it in Ogre.
simedj
Goblin

Post by simedj »

Does that mean that if iOS is the only GLES platform I want to support, I don't need to do anything to make 32bit indexed models work? Or is there a config/build setting I'd need to enable?
Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me with a contact email address if interested.
masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by masterfalcon »

That's correct. The index size is pulled from the mesh and the correct options are used in the render system according to that info.