Roll Your Own Ogre

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
User avatar
wavez
Kobold
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
Location: Sonora CA
Contact:

Post by wavez »

hey hey! I took a break but I'm back and I'm working on my ogre again. I'm working on the UV map for the high res model, then I'm going to apply a stone texture to it, probably the one used on the ogre head in the fresnel demo, and I'll also generate a normal map and try to apply it to him. I didn't know what a normal map was before, but I know now, and thanks to Sinbad I found Melody, free software from nVidia. Then I'll put my ogre head into the fresnel demo. After that's done, then I'd like to finish the low res model and get him animated. And there's plenty more I can do after that...

Here's the head, It has a test map on it right now so I can work to remove distortions.

http://home.mlode.com/~rc/artwork/HiResOgre.html
Registered Linux user number 365865
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by nfz »

Been playing with Blender 2.35 and I must say the modeling side of things has really improved in the latest edition. To test how easy the latest blender editing tools are I decided to try my hand at "Roll Your Own Ogre". I only did the head and never got as far as texturing it which is next, but here is the initial result rendered in Blender. Still thinking about what the body should look like.

Image
User avatar
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Contact:

Post by temas »

Very nice work, how long of a modelling time?
User avatar
dennis
Gremlin
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:21 pm
x 4

Post by dennis »

@waves: too human.

@nfz: nice (re)work. I liked the Ogre head as it is distributed with Ogre right now anyway and yours comes pretty close. All it needs now is a body and ... a scimitar! (Arabian curved sword.)
User avatar
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 3067
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: The Netherlands
x 1

Post by :wumpus: »

I like nfz's head even a bit better than the OGRE with the main distribution. He llooks meaner :)
User avatar
Sputnick
Greenskin
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland

Post by Sputnick »

nfz, your head looks really nice.
Time for some texturing ?

- Sput
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

@waves: Nice, I like the teeth and the facial wrinkles, but I agree with dennis that it's a little too human. Perhaps a soft deform to make the forehead more jutting and the jaw more oversized would sort that out?

@nfz: Definitely pretty close to the original Ogre, nice. Is it just me or does his frown look more confused than mean though? (I could imagine him chewing a pencil) ;)
User avatar
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 10:05 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by SpannerMan »

@nfz: Looking good :)

Has the user interface changed at all in the new version of Blender? I have heard a few people mention that they werent too keen on the GUI, and when I tried Blender a few months ago, Im inclined to agree that its a nightmare to use (for beginners, at least). It seems the majority of the buttons were small gray circles I think, and there was no way of telling what any of them did, hehe.
User avatar
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
x 8
Contact:

Post by haffax »

No. Not really changed. But imho the GUI is very good as it is. It often is difficult to make a GUI easy for beginners and efficiently usable for pros. In the long run optimizing for pros is superior. With a good tutorial you'll see it is really easy to use, when you know how. And you can customize it quite easily. :)
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
User avatar
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 10:05 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by SpannerMan »

Fair enough, Tanis, thanks for that.
Perhaps I should have tried following a tutorial or two before making a judgement, I was comparing its 'feel' with my (very limited) experiance of 3D Max and Lightwave.

I think I will install it again and give it another go...a professional modelling tool that is free is not something that should be so easily dismissed.
User avatar
walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:20 pm
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Post by walaber »

I must admit, the latest version, with the improved mesh editing tools, finally feels a little more "familiar" to people used to other modelers.. :)
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!
Image
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by nfz »

Image

made some slight alterations and started doing some texturing.

Spannerman: I went from using Milkshape3D to using Blender and it was a bit of a steep learning curve. The new Blender videos and tutorials are a definate must for the beginner (like me).
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

I like the mouth shape a lot better now, nice one :)
User avatar
Phantom
Greenskin
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:28 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by Phantom »

Now he looks like this sadistic creature with hideously evil plans....


Which is good! ;)
Nice work.
Last edited by Phantom on Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vbrun
Gnoblar
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:29 am

Post by vbrun »

Image
Image

Hello there!
Iam a noob when it comes to ogre :oops:
but Iam trying to learn this cool engine!
anyways here is a model I've made in 3dsmax it just happen to be an ogre head :shock:
its just to test out normalmaping in 3dsmax.
Its something like 3000 polys.. but its not optimized in anyway!

cheers!
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by nfz »

Excellent. We are getting a good veriety of Ogre heads.
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by nfz »

I have finished most of the UV mapping of the Ogre head and now I have started to work on the textures: diffuse map, bump map, and specular map.

I wanted to see how the head would look in ogre so I imported it into the material editor and applied the GLSL leather bump procedural shader to the whole mesh and took a snapshot:

Image

Image


The mesh totals 4402 triangles and is manifold so can project nice shadows. The teeth, eyes, and earing are manifold submeshes too and can have their own materials.
Last edited by nfz on Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rixeh
Greenskin
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:36 am

Post by Rixeh »

OMG where can I get that uber material editor?? :shock: :shock: 8)
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

@nfz: very nice - finally a manifold Ogre head :) And the poly count is about right too, nice.

Did you write the treeview in that shot, or is that new in CEGui since I last used it?

I'd really like to put the material editor in ogreaddons sometime, if you're willing...
User avatar
wavez
Kobold
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
Location: Sonora CA
Contact:

Post by wavez »

hey everyone. I also really like nfz's ogre head. I can make changes to mine and see what you all think, but I think nfz might come out on top now. I started working on the ogre again, but I had to put it on hold again, probably for the rest of this month, so it looks like time is not on my side :( I'll be around though, so we'll see what happens.
Registered Linux user number 365865
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by nfz »

@Sinbad: the tree layout manager is my own. Its based on a Delphi Component I wrote many years ago that has been converted to C++ and now manages the layout of CEGUI widgets.

The material editor will eventually be made available but right now there are more bugs than working features :cry: . When the number of working features outnumbers the number of bugs by at least 5 to 1 then I will go for a limited alpha realease (to find more bugs :lol: ). I am shooting for end of January for alpha release but acheiving that date depends on how well the migration to Ogre 1.0 goes for the editor. The original plan had me releasing an alpha at the end of September 2004 and we know how well that went.
User avatar
Sputnick
Greenskin
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland

Post by Sputnick »

@nfz: material editor: Good to know. It's already looking very good on the screenshot.

Congrats,

- Sput
User avatar
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 10:05 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by SpannerMan »

Hey nfz :)

You know, I bet theres a lot of people waiting to hear some news about the new OGRE model and the material editor!

Any news? New screenies?
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by nfz »

Hi SpannerMan,

The light at the end of the tunnel for both projects is very dim (20 Watt light bulb) at this moment.

I am still buried deep in bugs with the material editor (poor design, bad coding practices, eating to much pumpkin pie etc). A few days ago I started merging with Ogre cvs Head to make life more interesting. Bug smashing has never been more fun. My plan for an end of January Alpha release is slowly turning into vapour.

The Ogre model is frozen for now (it's -16 celcius here) untill I learn how to texture 3D models. I am slowly getting there but you know what they say about an old dog and new tricks.

Not great news but its news.
User avatar
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 10:05 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by SpannerMan »

Hehe, well good to hear your projects are still in the pipeline (be it a slightly frozen one). Good luck with them and keep us updated :)
Last edited by SpannerMan on Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply