Ogre Helpes us to win AGDC best indie game award. DL it now

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
Mdobele
Halfling

Ogre Helpes us to win AGDC best indie game award. DL it now

Post by Mdobele »

Hi Guys

Well i have just returned home from the Australian Game Developers Conference that was held in Melbourne. ( Thats in Australia, same as me ) where we entered our student game/prototype into the Best Indie Game competition....... and WON.

Using a combination of OGRE, ODE, RAKNET and FMOD we managed to make a fun little racing game in a simmiliar theme to Mario Kart with cute chars riding on scooters. This was made in only a staggering 12 weeks ( still tired ) by a team of 4 coders and 6 artists all currently students doing a Degree in Games.

We certainly raised some eyebrows with what we achieved and hopefully managed to enlighten some more people, especially other games companies about the benefits and wonders of OGRE. Anyhow its been a busy 4 days so I'm off to get some much needed sleep.

Here are some good pics I'd like to share with you guys

Here is a pic of us , one of our lecturers, and a member of the runner up team ambushing poor old BILL ROPER ( yes the man himself!!!! ) at the awards dinner. ( I'm the dag lower left. sry ladies I'm taken :lol: )

Two of our artists smooooothly entertaining the booth babes as they played our game. They voted for us as well 8)

And again

After SUBTLY Mentioning to the Quensland government booth that we were also from Queensland we managed to get them to promote our game for us all day!! ( Thats one of my daggy lecturers in the shot. LOL )

One of the artists on the team is a mate of a distibutor for 3DSMAX down under so we got it on there as well. WOOOT.

THIS ONE SAYS IT ALL. YAY YAY YAY

Apart from getting industry recognition which is simply GOLD on our resumes we also scored a RETAIL copy of MAX 7 so we cant be happier.

For pics of our actuall game i'll simply refer you to our announcement of the ALPHA stage here

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6539

I'll post some updated screenies of the game when i finally awaken from this coma I am gleefully about to fall into.

Thanks to everyone here for all your contributions.
The Primed Games Team.
Last edited by Mdobele on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrimedGames
www.PrimedGames.com

Email Me At
Mdobele( AT )primedgames.com
// Replace AT with @ of course
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Glad you won guys (and seems that gals too :)). Good job (I hope we can play your game soon - I love Mario Kart :D)

Seems that this is the beginning of another great company ;)
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Congrats Primed Games, good job!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Awesome! Well done guys, I'll make an announcement on the site. Looking forward to seeing those new shots, they'll have earned their place in the Featured Projects area for sure :)
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Wow.. congratulations!
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

:D :D !!!!CONGRATS!!!!! :D :D
_mental_
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by _mental_ »

Congrats and good luck with future projects :)
PeterNewman
Greenskin

Post by PeterNewman »

Well done!
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

congrats from a melbournite and DAMN I forgot to go to the saturday expo (I even paid) :roll: Last minute projects due tend to make you forget things ;)
gerds
Goblin

Post by gerds »

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!!!

It just goes to show how much game production potential we have down under :)
RyanN
Halfling

Post by RyanN »

awesome job! well done! :D
megabytes
Gnoblar

Post by megabytes »

you guys only won because my game didn't make it :P

nuh, guys, i would have loved to make it down with ya, but i couldn't afford it, damn student allowence. Best of luck, i know how much hard work you guys put into it, you deserve it.

best of luck for the future. :D :D :D
In the 1960s, NASA decided it needed a ballpoint pen to write in the zero gravity confines of its space capsules.
After millions went into R&D, the Astronaut Pen was developed.
The Soviet Union, faced with the same problem. They used a pencil.
leedgitar
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by leedgitar »

Excellent job, congrats!!
gfactor
Gnoblar

Post by gfactor »

Yeah well done again guys.

Although now I'm busting I didn't go cause it seemed like a helluva lot of fun! You guys could have all crashed at my joint, haha

Congrats again.
McSwan
Greenskin

Post by McSwan »

Hi,

Congrats! It's great to see the guys doing so well at AGDC. I think special thanks should also goto to all the guys involved in the Ogre project.

There have been a number of Ogre projects going on a Qantm, an rts, rpg's, space shooters, and party games.

Mik and the gang got a number of things right with this project, the biggest I think were timeliness and gameplay.

Hopefully the success we are having with the current games will help cement the use use of Ogre in the games course in the future. So next year, we might have more entries in AGDC.

ps. I guess you guys are expecting a good mark now , huh ;) ?
pratty70
Gnome

Post by pratty70 »

Many congratulations, looking forward to getting the opportunity to play the game!
Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

Congratulations !!!!!!
Banania
Mdobele
Halfling

Post by Mdobele »

Thanks everyone for your warm praises.

My university ( QANTM ) is having our "Industry Night" this friday night. This is where we are given a chance to show case our work to the local, and interstate Games Dev companies who will be attending. So we are madly just fixing a few little bugs in preperation for that.

@Sinbad
Its great news and we are so proud that you will be placing us on the Featured Projects page. You will get the screenshots by the end of the week as a couple of the artists simply want to touch up / change a few things in preperation for Friday Night.

We are simply blown away with everything that is happening to us lately. Its still all a bit of a shock.
PrimedGames
www.PrimedGames.com

Email Me At
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

Amazing work, congratulations!
Mdobele
Halfling

Post by Mdobele »

Well it certainly has been a busy week for all the guys in the PrimedGames team. we have just finished our last week of uni and had our universities Industry night last Friday. This was a night where all our local game development companies in brisbane and in Queensland, Auran , Krome, Pandemic, THQ, Halfbrick, Fuzzyeyes to name but a few came along to view our work and chat to us about employment opportunities. It was a HUUGE sucess and we have made some great contacts and are hoping we have the same sucess when it comes to actually getting a job.

The other students works with OGRE down here are also fantastic and I am hoping that they will share them with you soon. Some really polished stuff.

We are working on getting a version together that is small enough to realease to you guys. At the moment the install is roughly 130mb ( 6 tracks, 8 characters ) and none of us have that hosting space..... so any suggestions would be appreciated. Pretty confident we could strip it down to 70-90mb once we remove redundant data that is sure to be floating around it. :roll:

@sinbad
Here are some updates pics that you can use on the Featured Projects page. Thanks once again for a great engine.

Last edited by Mdobele on Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrimedGames
www.PrimedGames.com

Email Me At
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

I just want to say great going :!: The game looks very interesting with awesome graphics. And I wish you luck getting into the game industry! I would someday like to get paid for doing games too.

As for the file size of your download, you could think about setting up a bit torrent/tracker... Though, that is really only benificial if you have large amounts of downloads at one time, and you would still incur bandwidth costs if only a few people at a time were to download. Perhaps you could try to propogate your demo into a P2P network (I mean, people claim there are legimate uses for of P2P ;) ).
Sourceforge might also be a viable way to host a file/archive that large if you move your project into opensource.
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

You can send copies in CD at a low cost :)

[Edit]
I forgot: Good luck with your job opportunities ;)
[/Edit]
geefunk
Kobold

Post by geefunk »

Hey guys,

Hell of a job. Looks like a lot of fun.

I offered to host the files for one of your Qantm competitors, and I'd like to extend the same offer to you. I have about 10 gigs of space sitting around doing nothing, and an insane amount of bandwidth to use, so I can probably host whatever you got. Just email me at krippy2k@yahoo.com and I'll give you the FTP info.

Peace
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Thanks for the pics, I'll get those up on the site asap.

Thanks geefunk for offering the space - once I can download it from somewhere, it can go into the SF file release system when I get the example projects page up and running.

Once again, congrats on a very successful project. :)
Goosey
Halfling

Post by Goosey »

Amazing work! Great job
I <3 the OGRE Wiki, and SO SHOULD YOU! :)