On CodeBlocks, QtCreator, the Universe and Ogre

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
guidry
Gnoblar

On CodeBlocks, QtCreator, the Universe and Ogre

Post by guidry »

/*Split out from this topic: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 25#p489872*/

MinGW is 100% free and open source. Because Ogre is open source, it would be better to support the other open source compiling enviroment like MinGW. Who can garantee that Visual C++ express would not stop to be freely available some day? In addition to that, a 100% open source worrkflow is needed! Think of developers who want to deploy their product accross different platfoms, if the can use only Code::Blocks & gcc/mingw to acheive their goals that will make life a lot easier. Be able to cross platform also makes Ogre disticnt form other competetors. Code::Blocks template is out-dated, but you as an expert can take initiatve to notice them and provide them a new template. By doing that, the effect will be better than any advertisement!
Why not just give Code::Blocks a new template? By adding some note in the template c++ code to notice programmer things to be aware of when compiling with MInGw can of course reduce endless questions on the forum.
Never leave MinGW along!
PhilipLB
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Re: [News] Ogre 1.9 RC1 is here

Post by PhilipLB »

Err... Ogre uses cmake which generates project files for many toolchains, including MinGW/Code::Blocks.
Google Summer of Code 2012 Student
Topic: "Volume Rendering with LOD aimed at terrain"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Mattan Furst

Volume GFX, accepting donations.
guidry
Gnoblar

I hope it MinGw is supported forever

Post by guidry »

Err... Ogre uses cmake which generates project files for many toolchains, including MinGW/Code::Blocks.
I hope it stays that way forever (vesion 2.0 and above)!
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Never leave MinGW along

Post by spacegaier »

guidry wrote:Code::Blocks template is out-dated
What template are you referring to? The Ogre+MinGW guide in the wiki is up-to-date AFAIK, and as PhilipLB stated, thanks to CMake you can generate solution files for pretty much any platform/compiler/IDE.

Bottom-line: We've got you covered ;) !
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

guidry wrote:Code::Blocks template is out-dated
It has been outdated for years on end. ;)
Don't bother with Code::Blocks.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

jacmoe wrote:Don't bother with Code::Blocks.
Yes, please.
I really, really dislike C::B. The fact that it comes with its own version of MinGW breaks so many things it's not even funny.
The editor is seriously underwhelming, especially compared to other free IDEs like NetBeans (which I can only very much recommend) and Eclipse (which others use for C++). Both of which integrate just fine with MinGW.
Auto-completion is subpar, there's a huge lack of comfort features and plugins (again, compared to NetBeans and Eclipse), and I could go on...
The only thing I found actually better in C::B was the linker/compiler management. But that is something you setup once and only change very rarely.

I only know C::B from Windows but if the Linux versions are not much better I have no clue why this IDE is spread so much. Maybe people are "afraid" of NetBeans/Eclipse because those were originally Java IDEs? No idea.

Don't worry about MinGW, though, as long as I'm at the party, Ogre should work with at least the MinGW versions that are on my machines ;)
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
dermont
Bugbear

Post by dermont »

I think that you are being a bit harsh on C::B here. AFAIK you can download just the IDE without it's own version of MinGW.

It's pretty easy to set-up various compiler versions (including cross-compiling) and different versions of MinGW installed.

Given the choice between NetBeans/Eclipse and C::B I know what one I would choose; I guess it all comes down to personal choice.
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

dermont wrote:I think that you are being a bit harsh on C::B here. AFAIK you can download just the IDE without it's own version of MinGW.
Of course you can, but many users, especially new ones, choose the default, which means it comes with its own MinGW version. That simple fact shows that the developers don't know or don't care about the incompatibilities this can cause. Which doesn't exactly speak for them ;)
dermont wrote:I guess it all comes down to personal choice.
Of course it does, but there are some arguments that simply cannot be denied or ignored as opinion (because they aren't).
For example, I am convinced that Visual Studio Pro with Visual Assist installed is pretty much the best development experience you can get on Windows.
Better than NetBeans. But then again, the cost of NetBeans is 0 €, while VS+VA is ~800€+200€. (Yes, there is a free VS versions, but afaik you cannot even install plugins there, and is has some other downsides).

But this is vastly off topic so I will stop now.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

With QtCreator and KDevelop, I can't see any reason for using C::B.
But, of course, that is a matter of preference.
For me, it's QtCreator for C++ coding and Sublime Text 2 for the rest.
I have little against Code::Blocks, except that it appears to be cobbled together in many places. It is a decent IDE, but it bothers me that they haven't updated their application wizard for Ogre since Ogre 1.4.
That is actually doing us a disservice. Why not get rid of it?
I am maintaining a working application wizard for C::B, so why have it in there?
I get a feeling when I look at C::B that their QA department is more concerned about the number of features than what they do.
But, it is a solid package. No doubt about it.

QtCreator also works great with MinGW, and the interface is much better. And it stays out of your way.

In my humble opinionated opinion. :)
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

Let's start flame! QtCreator is the best! :D
Voltage Engine - boost your ogre project with realtime physics and interactive scripting!
OgreBullet & CMake - easy to use bullet physics integration.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Just a quick related question (but offtopic like the whole page): do you work with CMake in QtCreator?

Because I have one project that use Qt with CMake and I wanted to use QtCreator, but I have never been able to generate the project because of very obscure errors.
(the project is open source if you want to take a look)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

You don't generate, you just open it. :)
Open project and choose your CMake script.
QtCreator will create a build directory (out of source, of course) and only touch your source dir with a simple CMake.usr script - that could be called the project file.
Any special project settings will be kept in it, like working directory, active target, etc.
QtCreator will (ironically) use the C::B project generator. That's good to know if you want to (re)generate the project using Cmake-gui out of the IDE. (In yourproject-build).

One caveat with QtCreator and it's code intelligence for CMake based projects is that the find_whatever scripts needs to be installed globally.
So if you're using Ogre - which I bet you are - throw a copy of the Ogre find script in the CMake shared scripts folder.

This topic will not stay off off-topic! :lol:
((And I am a lousy moderator - shame on myself))

<edit>
For reference, see this wonderful wiki article:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... requisites
Don't let the 'Linux' bit scare you off - it works the same on all platforms.
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

One caveat with QtCreator and it's code intelligence for CMake based projects is that the find_whatever scripts needs to be installed globally.
Strange. I didn't do that. (Creator 2.7 on Linux)
Voltage Engine - boost your ogre project with realtime physics and interactive scripting!
OgreBullet & CMake - easy to use bullet physics integration.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

jacmoe wrote:You don't generate, you just open it. :)
Open project and choose your CMake script.
QtCreator will create a build directory (out of source, of course) and only touch your source dir with a simple CMake.usr script - that could be called the project file.
Any special project settings will be kept in it, like working directory, active target, etc.
QtCreator will (ironically) use the C::B project generator. That's good to know if you want to (re)generate the project using Cmake-gui out of the IDE. (In yourproject-build).

So if you're using Ogre - which I bet you are - throw a copy of the Ogre find script in the CMake shared scripts folder.

This topic will not stay off off-topic! :lol:
((And I am a lousy moderator - shame on myself))

<edit>
For reference, see this wonderful wiki article:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... requisites
Don't let the 'Linux' bit scare you off - it works the same on all platforms.
Unfortunately you don't learn me anything new as it is exactly how I did it and failed at each attempt so far. ;__;
Maybe there are details I'm missing for my specific case. I'll try again in the coming days. Maybe I should ask around here if I still have problems?
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: On CodeBlocks, QtCreator, the Universe and Ogre

Post by jacmoe »

guidry wrote:MinGW is 100% free and open source. Because Ogre is open source, it would be better to support the other open source compiling enviroment like MinGW. Who can garantee that Visual C++ express would not stop to be freely available some day?
MinGW is a 100% pain in the arse!

Since Ogre uses CMake, people have a choice.
guidry wrote:In addition to that, a 100% open source worrkflow is needed! Think of developers who want to deploy their product accross different platfoms, if the can use only Code::Blocks & gcc/mingw to acheive their goals that will make life a lot easier. Be able to cross platform also makes Ogre disticnt form other competetors.
That is just romantic bullshit.

Pragmatic people choose the best possible tools for each platform.
I take it that you believe in fairy tales and the unicorn and using the GPL license for libraries as well? :)

What really makes Ogre different from other competitors is that it usually makes much better and less naive choices.
Or, put differently:
It gives the choice to us.

That is actually a very important point:
Too many open sauce projects have decided that - to serve the higher goal - they only want to support the GNU tool-chain and only OpenGL.
That's bullshit.
Why make that choice for people?
That's just too self-righteous.

<edit>
And what platforms do you want to cross?
Mac OS X? Windows? XBox? iPad?
I mean, if you are using a proprietary OS it is kind of silly to argue that everything else must be open.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Oh, and to bring the off-topic topic back to the off-topic topic:
Klaim wrote:Unfortunately you don't learn me anything new as it is exactly how I did it and failed at each attempt so far. ;__;
Maybe there are details I'm missing for my specific case. I'll try again in the coming days. Maybe I should ask around here if I still have problems?
You could try and (re)generate the project outside of QtCreator - using the C::B generator.
Would be helpful to know what kind of errors you are given.

<edit>
Have you told QtCreator what compiler tool-chain you want to use?
I guess you need to do that before attempting to let it generate any projects.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Check the list of known issues for QtCreator, if you haven't already:
http://doc.qt.digia.com/qtcreator/creat ... ssues.html
I do have QTDIR env var set. And the QTDIR/bin dir is in my PATH.
Good luck. :)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Code Blocks runs on my Pandora, so I can write C++ on the go. Enough said. :)

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Now, that's a great reason :)
Mikachu
Gnoll

Post by Mikachu »

I've been wanting to give QtCreator a try, since AFAIK it's the only windows IDE which relies on clang for its code-completion/refactoring needs (and VS is still lagging behind on these).

So far, I've been a little put-off by Eclipse and Netbeans' integration with CMake and/or debugger... so I always keep coming back to Visual Studio.

Anyway, good to see someone has already tried it, it will probably help if support becomes necessary :)
OgreProcedural - Procedural Geometry for Ogre3D
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

jacmoe wrote:Check the list of known issues for QtCreator, if you haven't already:
http://doc.qt.digia.com/qtcreator/creat ... ssues.html
I do have QTDIR env var set. And the QTDIR/bin dir is in my PATH.
Good luck. :)

Yes thanks, I checked the page before but it's not helpful for my case.
I'll get back here when I retry to do it, right now the code don't compile at all I'm in big rearchitecturing so I'll get back to this later.
draxd2007
Kobold

Post by draxd2007 »

If someone created Ogre 1.9 RC binary package for mingw please share here with all dependencies because it is a nightmare to build
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

This is a nightmare? :D

There will not be binary releases from 1.9 on for MinGW, as the incompatibility between MinGW versions pretty much kills any sense in that.
Learn to build it yourself, really, it is a viable skill anyway :)

Build FFmpeg and its dependency libraries form sources on Windows (no CMake and a large load of unneccessary clutter steps), that will give you the shivers. Did it for me, at least. :lol:

Anyway, I'm working on an automated builder from MinGW, can't say when it will be finished, though.
draxd2007
Kobold

Post by draxd2007 »

TheSHEEEP wrote:This is a nightmare? :D

There will not be binary releases from 1.9 on, as the incompatibility between MinGW versions pretty much kills any sense in that.
Learn to build it yourself, really, it is a viable skill anyway :)

Build FFmpeg and its dependency libraries form sources on Windows (no CMake and a large load of unneccessary clutter steps), that will give you the shivers. Did it for me, at least. :lol:

Anyway, I'm working on an automated builder from MinGW, can#t ay when it will be finished, though.
Yes it is, in theory it is perfectly simple but in practice blockage on boost, it won't compile with bunch of errors.
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

In that case you would probably be better off asking in the boost community channels directly (wherever that is).
You can try here, of course, but I don't know how many boost experts are around.
Most people "just" use it, as it tends to be rather unproblematic for most.

Or, you could build Ogre without using boost, it's not an ultimate requirement.
I've never tried that, but afaik you can use another threading software or no threading at all inside Ogre.