Paging Landscape v2 - Comments / Questions / Suggestions

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

Finally committed all my modifs :
  • - Re-added heighfield only source heighmaps. (normal computed on the fly with a blazinz speed maths computation.)
    - Added save of modified Pages. (texture and heighmaps, using exceptions til sinbad commits the new resource manager.)
    - Added terrainlistener that lets user know when page/tile are loaded/deformed/showed.
    - Modified the loading so that multiples camera can be on 2 opposites point of the landcsape. (unloading is now based on a timer, done in frameended. need some work to hide some "persitent" tiles that are unloaded on timer, but shown til that)
    - Smooth loading by adding a new step : now it's preload, textureload and then page load, each can be sepated by a number of frame (20 by default). Works well against "hicups" here.
    - Modified page Notifications ot notify only loaded visibles page by camera.
    - Added Crashy's shadow work on renderables.
    - Added Raw file Loaders (16 bits maps.)
    - Added "InstantBase" base texture moethod computation, that modify texture on the fly upon real-time terrain deformation. (only base texture, could be extended to coverage or any other splatting method.)
    - Added A shader texture splatting method, that doesn't need any pre-computation (no base or coverage, it's real-time shader splatting) in OpenGL and DX9. Very Batch friendly as it's one material for all tiles !!
    - all pages share same texture coordinates (save (pagesnumber*pagesize*2*sizeof(float) - 1*pagesize*2*sizeof(float) Vram bytes) does work well. Tried to compress vertex postion by a factor of 3, but results are not consistents (vertexcompression option, works only with instantbase method)
    - Made Query works in a better way (realwolrd height bilinear interpolation between points needs work tough) and no "out of landscape" query bugs
    - Modify deformation interface to a cleaner one(user set deformation point and radius on any point he wishes).
    - Adds of option like (deformable=yes,no) that would speed rendering if no deformation allowed.
    - Updated Renderable Frustum Clipping visibiility check
    - Updated to Last CVS
    - Added equalizer in mapsplitter. (spreads heighs to use all bit range of a heightmap)
    - Page loading is based on distance to camera. (no far page loading while page under foot is not loaded...)
should be in anon cvs tomorrow.

help needed on :
  • - bug reports !
    - vc6 dsp and makefile.am updates (just add files) so that I can commit them in CVS.
    - vc6 compatibility check. I tried to avoid any "for (int" things, but there's surely some that lies somewhere. point me to them if you have vc6
There was a lot of modification in cfg files. If you use Raw 16 bits don't forget to give raw map size in mappsplitter.cfg file when splitting it.

I'm interested in the shader perfomance on video cards and in FPS loose upon deformation (specially with instantbasetexture)

Instant base texture might give you strange results, as dx9 blitter needs a patch. (see http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=302997 and http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 9468#49468)

If you cannot wait til anon cvs is ready, check here for latest cvs version :
http://tuan.kuranes.free.fr/Ogre.html
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

Forgot to say : added right and middle button in buffered mode to drop sphere on terrain respectivly where click happens (intersectionray) and under camera (height ray) so that those who want to debug/make work the "PagingLandScapeData2DManager::getRealPageHeight" interpolation method can do it easily... :wink:
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Excellent, I'm going to take a look at your changes tonite.

Just curious about your splatting code that doesn't use a coverage map, I assume this is a pixel shader that calculates the blend amounts of each splat texture in realtime using the normal map to determine the angles of surrounding terrain? Or am I way off? :-)

We should communicate more :-) I put in 16 bit raw file support, as well as listeners for PageLoad, PageUnload, etc. I'm just going to use yours though.

Merci beaucoup mon ami!

Clay
gymdis
Gnoblar

Post by gymdis »

Looks like we will find use for more than half of those modifications. :D

Thankyou!
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

@falagard : vertex shader does the calculation (faster) and pixel shader the blending. only drawback is the need of normal in the vertexes. Next version will use normal maps. I'm sorry, I tought I've made some post about what I were working on.
Maybe we should split a new thread to gain some clarity...
MadLion
Halfling

Post by MadLion »

Hi tuan,

i'm trying to compile it on linux and getting the following error.

Code: Select all

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/madlion/ogre_cvs/ogreaddons/paginglandscape/PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/src'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../..  -I../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include -DGCC_3_1 -DEXT_HASH -I/usr/local/include/OGRE      -g -O2 -MT OgrePagingLandScapeIntersectionSceneQuery.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/OgrePagingLandScapeIntersectionSceneQuery.Tpo" -c -o OgrePagingLandScapeIntersectionSceneQuery.o OgrePagingLandScapeIntersectionSceneQuery.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/OgrePagingLandScapeIntersectionSceneQuery.Tpo" ".deps/OgrePagingLandScapeIntersectionSceneQuery.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/OgrePagingLandScapeIntersectionSceneQuery.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
In file included from ../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapePageManager.h:24,
                 from OgrePagingLandScapeIntersectionSceneQuery.cpp:35:
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h: In member function `T* Ogre::PagingLandScapeQueue<T>::find_nearest(Ogre::uint, Ogre::uint)':
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h:73: Fehler: expected `;' vor "qend"
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h:74: Fehler: expected `;' vor "q"
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h:75: Fehler: `q' undeclared (first use this function)
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h:75: Fehler: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h:75: Fehler: `qend' undeclared (first use this function)
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h: In member function `T* Ogre::PagingLandScapeQueue<T>::find_farest(Ogre::uint, Ogre::uint)':
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h:97: Fehler: expected `;' vor "qend"
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h:98: Fehler: expected `;' vor "q"
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h:99: Fehler: `q' undeclared (first use this function)
../../../PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/include/OgrePagingLandScapeQueue.h:99: Fehler: `qend' undeclared (first use this function)
make[1]: *** [OgrePagingLandScapeIntersectionSceneQuery.o] Fehler 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/madlion/ogre_cvs/ogreaddons/paginglandscape/PlugIns/PagingLandScape2/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
Any idea?
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

old gcc that has problem with templates or my templates typedef declaration being wrong... try replace any use of the typedef "MsgQueType" like replacing
MsgQueType::iterator
by
std::list<T *>::iterator
MadLion
Halfling

Post by MadLion »

No success. :(

I'm using version 3.4.2 of gcc.

g++ -v
Lese Spezifikationen von /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.2/specs
Konfiguriert mit: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-java-awt=gtk --host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread-Modell: posix
gcc-Version 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)
Another idea?
Crashy
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Crashy »

- Added Crashy's shadow work on renderables.
For the moment, this is truly unefficient for texture shadows.

Happy to learn that 16bit raw are supported now :) :)

BTW:
I've an error at this line
template<> PagingLandscapeListenerManager* Singleton<PagingLandscapeListenerManager>::ms_Singleton = 0;

The error:
OgrePagingLandscapeListener.cpp
\OGRE\ogrenew\PlugIns\PagingLandScape2\src\OgrePagingLandscapeListener.cpp(29) : error C2491: 'Ogre::Singleton<T>::ms_Singleton' : definition of dllimport static data member not allowed
with
[
T=Ogre::PagingLandscapeListenerManager
]
Follow la Moustache on Twitter or on Facebook
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

@MadLion, found the bug, change
MsgQueType::iterator
to
typename MsgQueType::iterator

@crashy : make sure the dsp project of the demo have defined in pre-processors commands (debug and relase) :

PLUGIN_PAGINGLANDSCAPE2_EXPORTS

and that lib contains the plsm2 lib directory (needed to link the listener):
Crashy

Post by Crashy »

Affirmative
WIN32
NDEBUG
_RELEASE
_WINDOWS
_USRDLL
Plugin_PagingLandScapeSceneManager2_EXPORTS
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

It's set or unset ?
(try the contrary of what you had when you get the error and see if it works)
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

committed the linux makefile.
only missing dsp now.
Crashy

Post by Crashy »

Works if unset :), but contrary to the project properties for Release configuration, it build all .obj in the debug directory. I movedit in the release directory, but HeightFieldN.obj is not compiled.

Edit: Ok nevermind, I used the vcproj file converted for VC7.0 and it seems to works. :)
Crashy

Post by Crashy »

There is many things I notice:
-With the new mapsplitter, when I try to split from a raw file, there is no outpout heightfield.x.y.extension file in the directory.
-Unable to split from raw to raw.
Error #: 7
Function: Codec::getCodec
Description: Cannot find codec for extension raw.
File: \OGRE\ogrenew\OgreMain\src\OgreCodec.cpp
Line: 46
Stack unwinding: <<beginning of stack>>

-Error in log file:
-----------------------------------
Error #: 7
Function: ResourceManager::_findResourceData
Description: Resource heightfield.3.0.modif.png not found..
File: \OGRE\ogrenew\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceManager.cpp
Line: 249
Stack unwinding: Image::load(..) <- <<beginning of stack>>
No terrain loaded when I get this error (should be normal I think).
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

1) MapSplitter generates a new directory.
did you use the new maptool.cfg ?
(with LandScapeExtension=raw )
try using :
data2dformat=HeightFieldRaw

2) there's no other way but exception to check if user modified files exists. If you don't use deformation, use deformation=no in cfg files and you won't get the warnings.
But unmodified terrain should be loaded after the exception raised.
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

So can anyone explain what's currently going on with shadows?

For example, are they working (objects casting shadows onto the terrain, support for texture shadows / stencil shadows)? What is inefficient and what do you think should be changed to make them efficient?

I'll be looking at shadows very soon :-)

Thanks,

Clay
Crashy

Post by Crashy »

At the moment
Stencil shadows: The terrain can receive them, and don't cast them(an thats what the fix do: disable shadow casting from terrain)
TextureShadow : there is still a bug. Take a look here, at the end of the topic to see result with Texture Shadow&&PGLSM. http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6923
@Kuranes:
did you use the new maptool.cfg ?
yes.
data2dformat=HeightFieldRaw
still nothing:s

I resolved my second problem.

have you modified scale parameters when loading the terrain?
Now my terrain 200*20*200 is tiny :s I must multiply scale by 10 in order to have the same dimensions.
Another thing: are the uv coordinates inverted? With textureFormat=Image, it looks like the texture has been fliped verticaly, but not the heightmap.
(yes this is not a bug and it is easy to resolve, but I ask for your confirmation).
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

Scale has changed to be consistent (x,y,z represents now the same scale an no more dependent on pagesize or heightmap resolution)) same as in TSM.
I making tests on raw mapsplitting.
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

@crashy : try
LandScapeExportExtension=Raw
(the case is important... it's "Raw" not "raw")
Sorry I'll commit a fix...
Crashy

Post by Crashy »

Oops, yes, you're right, it is Raw and not raw. :roll:
What I have after split:
Heightfield.base.x.y.raw
Heightfield.HN.x.y.raw
Heightfield.HS.x.y.raw
Heightfield.L.x.y.raw
but no Heightfield.x.y.raw

About the "flip" of the texture, it was because I forgot to flip the terragen heightmap .
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

do you have
HeightMap=yes
in maptools.cfg ?
Crashy

Post by Crashy »

Ok works fine, and it seems to be faster.

Another last thing(ok, thats the very last one, I promise you): there is a problem when I want to split a texture wich resolution is bigger than heightmap one.
I.E: I have a 4*4 world, a 1025*1025 heightmap, and a 4096*4096 texture
When I split the texture, it makes 256 sub textures of 256*256pixels, but I want 16 textures of 1024*1024 pixels.

I can use an old version of mapsplitter to doo this, but I cannot use .png for texture and .raw for heightmap.
psiegel
Kobold

Post by psiegel »

Hi there. I was trying to build your PagingLandScape2 demo to check out your code, but I can't seem to get it to compile. I'm wondering what version of Ogre you're building against? I tried checking out the Hastur branch (which I believe is the same as the 0.15 stable release), but I get the following:

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'OgrePanelOverlayElement.h': No such file or directory
I tried checking out the head from cvs, but then I get this:

c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(83): error C3861: 'guiWorst': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(105): error C2039: 'createCursorOverlay' : is not a member of 'Ogre::OverlayManager'
        c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\OgreMain\include\OgreOverlayManager.h(38) : see declaration of 'Ogre::OverlayManager'
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(72): error C2039: 'getGuiElement' : is not a member of 'Ogre::GuiManager'
        c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\OgreMain\include\OgreGuiManager.h(40) : see declaration of 'Ogre::GuiManager'
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(73): error C2039: 'getGuiElement' : is not a member of 'Ogre::GuiManager'
        c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\OgreMain\include\OgreGuiManager.h(40) : see declaration of 'Ogre::GuiManager'
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(74): error C2039: 'getGuiElement' : is not a member of 'Ogre::GuiManager'
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(75): error C2039: 'getGuiElement' : is not a member of 'Ogre::GuiManager'
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(86): error C2039: 'getGuiElement' : is not a member of 'Ogre::GuiManager'
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(89): error C2039: 'getGuiElement' : is not a member of 'Ogre::GuiManager'
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(72): error C2065: 'guiAvg' : undeclared identifier
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(74): error C2065: 'guiBest' : undeclared identifier
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(73): error C2065: 'guiCurr' : undeclared identifier
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(89): error C2065: 'guiDbg' : undeclared identifier
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(72): error C2065: 'GuiElement' : undeclared identifier
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(86): error C2065: 'guiTris' : undeclared identifier
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(75): error C2065: 'guiWorst' : undeclared identifier
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(79): error C2227: left of '->setCaption' must point to class/struct/union
        type is ''unknown-type''
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(80): error C2227: left of '->setCaption' must point to class/struct/union
        type is ''unknown-type''
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(81): error C2227: left of '->setCaption' must point to class/struct/union
        type is ''unknown-type''
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(83): error C2227: left of '->setCaption' must point to class/struct/union
        type is ''unknown-type''
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(87): error C2227: left of '->setCaption' must point to class/struct/union
        type is ''unknown-type''
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(90): error C2227: left of '->setCaption' must point to class/struct/union
        type is ''unknown-type''
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(79): error C3861: 'guiAvg': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(81): error C3861: 'guiBest': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(80): error C3861: 'guiCurr': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(90): error C3861: 'guiDbg': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(73): error C3861: 'GuiElement': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(74): error C3861: 'GuiElement': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(75): error C3861: 'GuiElement': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(86): error C3861: 'GuiElement': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(89): error C3861: 'GuiElement': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
c:\code\sandbox\ogrenew\Samples\Common\include\ExampleFrameListener.h(87): error C3861: 'guiTris': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
Of course, I get those errors from the head when building any of the demos, so I assume something is going on right now to make the cvs head unusable.

I'm building in Windows XP with Visual Studio .NET 2003, in case that's important.

Paul
Crashy

Post by Crashy »

I have no "OgrePanelOverlayElement.h" in my Ogre directories , and this is not due to paginglandscape :?
I'm building on 15.1.Hastur.